Chicago Hoops.com..new ratings..

HBB, are you talking about Roy and Harv SCHMIDT? Are they still around? One of them was the HC of Illinois when the whole slush fund thing broke, right? That had to be in the early to mid-70's, didn't it? Surprised these guys are still working.

Last edited:
After reading the stuff on Jay Harris, this is exactly the kind of guard Iowa would run into playing for some mid-major and he'd just torch us. He is slight of build but if he's very quick he can play at this level. For once we need to sign someone like this ourselves.

Last edited:
Just for a good natured arguments sake, what is it that Roy & Harv, and the ESPN guy see in Harris that you don't HawkeyeBBall?

Oh, and I also agree with you Freddy, it would be nice to sign a kid like that. This kid kinda reminds me of a Talor Battle with a better outside shot. Check out some video I found on the kid. He pulls up and gets his shot off so quick.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QisVcqTNmNs&feature=related"]YouTube- Oswego East Wolves High School Basketball Highlights @ Oswego[/ame]

Tonight has Deerfield (Duje Dukan, Wisconsin) hosting Waukegan (Jereme Richmond, Illinois), for their conference championship, the guys that I believe are #1 and #7 in the state playing each other. Both are top 10 teams in 4A in the state of Illinois.

The game is sold out, however, I am going to test my luck and see if I can scalp a ticket. I'll try to give a report if I get in on the game.

HawkeyeBBall did get into this game, so I am expecting a 5 page report on what he saw.

Just for a good natured arguments sake, what is it that Roy & Harv, and the ESPN guy see in Harris that you don't HawkeyeBBall?

Oh, and I also agree with you Freddy, it would be nice to sign a kid like that. This kid kinda reminds me of a Talor Battle with a better outside shot. Check out some video I found on the kid. He pulls up and gets his shot off so quick.

I don't believe that I have said anything bad about Harris. What I have said is, "I have seen Harris, he played for Illinois Old School. He is a good player with a nice shot, but has a bit of a hitch. He is not a PG, he is more of a SG. Has a similiar game (minus the hops) and body type that Anthony Johnson, Purdue, has but isn't as tall." I don't think it is bad to be compared to Anthony Johnson, who Painter thinks is worthy of one of his scholorships...

I just don't like the ESPN rankings and the IL prepbullseye guys are one of Ben's biggest fans. They have consistantly had him in their top 3-5 players in the state. I just think that they are goof balls.

As to the game from last night. I have to head out for a bit, but when I return, be ready, because I have NEVER seen a game like that last night with the players running the show. It was a sight to be seen...(decent hook, hope you take it and check back later!)

Saw that Waukegan bested Deerfield in OT last nite...93-87! Dukan hit a three pointer at the buzzer in regulation to send it to OT? Big rally by Deerfield to get it to OT? Sounds like an entertaining HS game.

Waukegan did beat Deerfield in OT. Waukegan gave up an 11 point lead with 3 minutes left due to the selfish, superstar mentality of Jereme Richmond. Like I said, he is by far the best athlete in IL in the 2010 class, however, he is the most immature, attitude problem, primadonna in the 2010 class. If he pulls half of the junk he pulled last night, he will get broken in half by opposing player in the Big Ten. He pranced around all of warm-ups, taunted all game, and most importantly yelled at the refs like it was his job. It was like he acted as if he was "too good for this." If you visit the chicagohoops.com forum, you will see these posts:

"You were NOT kidding about the refs. These guys lost control of everything and had no clue what was going on. I don't think they hurt one team more than the other, but they were just clueless out there. Deerfield had a 4-1 fastbreak and a ref calls a foul on Richmond in the backcourt, taking away a fast break hoop and I don't even know if Richmond actually committed a foul or not."

"I'VE WATCHED HS BASKETBALL FOR ABOUT 40 YEARS AND I CAN'T SAY I'VE EVER SEEN A ZEBRA CREW AS BAD AS THE ONE CHOSEN TO CALL THE CSL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME LAST NIGHT. THE WERE HORRIBLE BOTH WAYS. THE IHSA SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES FOR THERE CHOICE OF OFFICIALS. I CANT COUNT THE NUMBER OF BOTCHED CALLS MADE."

That is just a sampling of what took place. There was 2 sets of rules for the teams. Waukegan would get babied by the refs as they would yell at them, while the second Deerfield look crosseyed at them, it would be a T.

Jereme Richmond at one point walked over to his coach, who was yelling at the ref, told him to stop yelling as he walked between the two, then IMMEDIATELY, turned to the ref and started yelling and wagging his finger in his face. It was an embarrassment to have a crew that has done IHSA State Final games let this happen.

He also tried to antagonize Deerfield's players on multiple occasions looking for a fight. The kid is a punk and has a rude awaking coming. I cannot wait until he is put in his place.

All of that, it was a great comeback by Deerfield as Duje Dukan (Wisconsin) was on the bench almost half of the game with foul trouble. He hit a running, fade, body moving, throw up in air shot at the buzzer to force overtime. I went looking for a fun game to watch and no rooting interest, but the events that occured throughout the game, I had no choice but to throw the towel in Deerfield's corner and go all out. Unfortunate that they couldn't pull it out, but the game did not lack excitement or drama.

Both of those posts you mention say the refs were bad for both sides...not favoring Waukegan as you indicate.

If Richmond is as bad as you indicate,he will get a rude awakening when he runs into Eddie Hightower and Teddie Valentine.

As for his combative attitude...it is a city thing,no doubt. I read an article on the front page of the Tribune last sunday describing a fight between two friends at Foreman HS...it started as horseplay,then quickly elevated to a 15 minute fist fight, then a half hour later they were hanging out again...and their comments to the writer: ''in this school and neighborhood, if you back down, it will cause you more trouble and more fights later'' That is the mentality on the playground courts also.
It carries over...but kids have to be guided to channel it and subvert it as they mature.

If Richmond does not figure that out, Weber will be sitting him just like McCamey and Mike Davis...or will have a short stint in Champaign. I bet he figures it out,because their will be a payday waiting if he does settle down.

A kid like that almost certainly is also convinced he'll be a one & done player. If he's convinced enough and doesn't like having to live with any constraints on his behavior, he'll probably leave after one even if it's not a smart decision.

Then again, if he's talented enough they'll probably make a rich man out of him right away even if he hasn't shown very much as a freshman. See: Ricky Davis.

Waukegan isn't the city. They are their own city that is just as bad as Chicago. Richmond has been like this since 8th grade, it won't change that easily...

Oh the refs were bad for both sides, don't get me wrong, but definately were more on the side of Waukegan.

Like you say...waukegan is just as city as chicago ...with the same city mentality on the playground. Tough town.

Latest posts