Chicago Hoops.com..new ratings..

ChicagoHoops.com is reliable and the guy Brian who runs the site is very fair in his rankings. He has no affiliations with any High School or AAU teams. He isn't even from Illionis, I think he is from Indiana and also has a HoopsIndiana.com site too.

ChicagoHoops.com is reliable and the guy Brian who runs the site is very fair in his rankings. He has no affiliations with any High School or AAU teams. He isn't even from Illionis, I think he is from Indiana and also has a HoopsIndiana.com site too.

Brian is a Chicago guy and his rankings are bias, he loves the city players, as well as the Illini. He also does have connections to most of the AAU teams and the fact the Mac Irvin Fire has 6 of the top 10 is NO coincidence.

I said I'd give my breakdown since I've seen pretty much all of them, just haven't had the time yet. That is if people are interested.

updated state of illinois player ratings as of 2/10/10...

1. jereme richmond- Illinois commit
2. meyers leonard- illini
3. lenzelle smith- OSU
4. Dragievich- Michigan
5. Starks Oregon St.
6. Crandal Head illini
7. mike McCall St Louis
8. Anthony Johnson Purdue
9. Reggie Smith marquette
10 Rayvonte Rice Drake
11 Phillip Jackson uncommitted...6'8'' power forward..ISU,Prov,Marquette
12.dukan wisc.
13 karl madison Drake
14 Ben Brust Iowa
15 Spearmon Dayton

Hawkbb...definitely want your input since you have seen them all play...you are certainly a HS bb fanatic!..which is cool.

Now, I agree that there is no exact science in this type of deal,and that there might be only slight differences from say...#4 to #15...but I have to think that Richmond is deservedly the top guy,and leonard is a solid #2...Smith probably a solid #3. After that, who knows?

Drago of Glenbrook sounds like a solid small forward for michigan,and let them to a tie for the league title again last nite beating Dukan of Deerfield,who also tied for league crown.

Starks is small, at 5'10'' but does play on a Whitney Young team loaded with D-1 talent and seems to be the leader...maybe overrated?

Head has been hurt a lot, but I think he makes it on potential. Stinnette ranks,imo, with an eye toward college potential,and Head seems to have a high ceiling.

McCall and Dority of Foreman have led them to great success and so he seems to belong.
I have seen Anthony Johnson play a few times last year and he seemed ok,but skinny...PU jumped on him early..and is part of that ensemble at Young that might deflate stats.

I have heard great comments about Reggie Smith of Thornton...was hoping the Hawks would try to get him...perfect Marquette player..burner.

Dukan sounds like a perfect Wisky big man...skilled...euro-type..Leuer-lite?

Rice has drawn rave reviews with some thinking the Illini should have offered...Verdell Jones and Rice...local kids get no respect from the illini,I guess.

Spearmon out of Simeon will be good at Dayton,I predict. Gregory is on my list of coaches who need to keep an eye on...guy can work both sides of the street...suburban,and city, with Pistons resume...can Dayton keep him?

I guess I just do not see that much of a bias toward Fire players or the illini here,unless it is with Head. I think Leonard and Richmond are gonna be tough.

1. Jereme Richmond- Illinois commit - Without a doubt the best athlete in the state of Illinois. He has been suspended from the team multiple times and seems to have discipline issues. Hope that doesn't carry over to IL for their sake.

2. Meyers Leonard- illini - This kid is a freak of nature. We can make fun of IL about all of their large skinny white kids that are non-athletic. This kid breaks the mold. Because of his size, we may be fortunate as I believe the $$$ will call him away early.

3. Lenzelle Smith- OSU - Unique player as he is about 6'3" but has PG skills and length and hops to be a SF/PF. Really high basketball IQ

4. Dragievich- Notre Dame (Not Michigan) - Don't really understand the love for this kid. He is a typical slow white kid that will fit in at ND.

5. Ahmad Starks Oregon St. - Really smart, quick PG. For being 5'8" the kid has done real well for himself.

6. Crandall Head illini - Can fly like his brother Luther. Hasn't played his senior year as he has had a torn ACL since AAU ball. Has a lot of work to do on his shoot as he can take it to the rack with anyone.

7. Mike McCall St Louis - Quick, decent shooter, smart PG. Will do really well at SLU.

8. Anthony Johnson Purdue - Great shooter. Not much to his body though, the Windy City has probably blown him over many times as he needs to put on LOTS of weight/muscle to be physical enough to compete in the next level.

9. Reggie Smith Marquette - Outside shoot is improving, but far from good. The one of the best slasher in the state with hops that are mad silly, check this out for some sweet dunks. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQCLxVenw4"]YouTube- 6'0 Reggie Smith Has Bounce; Pointguard With Hops[/ame]

10 Rayvonte Rice Drake - Played on the same AAU team as Lenzelle and Brust. Was the 4th best player on the team behind Brust, Smith and Rossi. Has great size, but shot is something to be desired. Will be a good fit at Drake at the Mid-Major level. Don't believe he has B10 ability as he wouldn't have a set position to play.

11 Phillip Jackson uncommitted...6'9-10'' power forward..ISU,Prov,Marquette - He has been hyped since he has size. Not that big of a fan, but you cannot teach height.

12. Duje Dukan Wisconsin - Has really grown into his body over the past year. He has added bulk and doesn't hurt that his dad is the European scouting director for the Bulls as well as a former Croatian national team player. Has a very smooth stroke from the outside, will do really well in Bo's system.

13 Karl Madison Drake - Just think a smaller, quicker, but not as hard of a worker as Cully.

14 Ben Brust Iowa - Think we all know enough about him.

15 Brandon Spearman Dayton - Nice size, good shooter. National scouts love him, Chicago/IL scouts, not so much.

16 Anthony Shoemaker - Team player who will contribute in anyway possible to help his team. Will contribute wherever he ends up at.

17 Jordan Threloff Illinois St. - Uncordinated white guy that will do well at ISU due to being tall. Nice post moves, but not too quick on his feet.

18 Eric Gaines Kent St. - Quick, nice shooter who will thrive at the Mid-Major.

19 Dwayne Evans St. Louis - Tweener who would be out of position at 6'4ish playing PF at high major, always been a winner and high IQ

20 Alex Rossi California- If not Brust, Rossi is the best shooter in the state. Can stroke the ball and will be perfect for the "European" style basketball at Cal

Now, here is how I would rank these top 20.

Jereme Richmond
Meyers Leonard
Lenzelle Smith
Ahmad Starks
Ben Brust
Mike McCall
Duje Dukan
Reggie Smith
Alex Rossi
Crandall Head
Alex Dragievich
Rayvonte Rice
Anthony Johnson
Eric Gaines
Brandon Spearman
Karl Madison
Anthony Shoemaker
Dwayne Evans
Phillip Jackson
Jordan Threloff

Mine mean nothing, go ahead, call me a homer for putting Brust at 5, but I believe he is there, there are others as well that have him in the same spot as I believe. I also do believe the top 3 from Chicagohoops.com is right rankings.

Thanks for your input...I agree that the list is just one sites opinion,and all subjective.
Reggie Smith looks like a perfect fit at Marquette. Spectacular physical tools,clearly.
Rice and Madison will play vs Iowa 4 times so we will get to see how this plays out on the court. Brust will be matching up vs most of these guys over his career at Iowa which will make these kinds of lists fun reading in a few years.

I agree that Johnson of Whitney Young is still skinny..no Etwuan Moore next year,but if they redshirted him and bulked him up..could be a nice shooter for them.

ND does seem to specialize in 6'7'' shooters from chicagoland...ie.Colin Falls.

Lot of talent at UIC this past weekend...you see that shootout?

Thanks for your input...I agree that the list is just one sites opinion,and all subjective.
Reggie Smith looks like a perfect fit at Marquette. Spectacular physical tools,clearly.
Rice and Madison will play vs Iowa 4 times so we will get to see how this plays out on the court. Brust will be matching up vs most of these guys over his career at Iowa which will make these kinds of lists fun reading in a few years.

I agree that Johnson of Whitney Young is still skinny..no Etwuan Moore next year,but if they redshirted him and bulked him up..could be a nice shooter for them.

ND does seem to specialize in 6'7'' shooters from chicagoland...ie.Colin Falls.

Lot of talent at UIC this past weekend...you see that shootout?

Not a problem. I did watch it on Comcast when I wasn't busy watching curling....

I can appreciate HawkeyeBBall's perception on this - he's from the area and has watched them all play in AAU and in HS.

The one thing I will call you on is being a Rising Star homer a little bit. Rossi can shoot the lights out, but I don't think he's Top 10 necessarily.

I can appreciate HawkeyeBBall's perception on this - he's from the area and has watched them all play in AAU and in HS.

The one thing I will call you on is being a Rising Star homer a little bit. Rossi can shoot the lights out, but I don't think he's Top 10 necessarily.

Then give me yours :)

Tonight has Deerfield (Duje Dukan, Wisconsin) hosting Waukegan (Jereme Richmond, Illinois), for their conference championship, the guys that I believe are #1 and #7 in the state playing each other. Both are top 10 teams in 4A in the state of Illinois.

The game is sold out, however, I am going to test my luck and see if I can scalp a ticket. I'll try to give a report if I get in on the game.

Have you seen Jay Harris of Oswego play? Any thoughts? ESPN rates him very high.
Has been called the best uncommitted player in the Chicagoland or Illinois area...what AAU team did he play on?

Thanks for the input. And yes, that should be a good game with Waukegan newly crowned as #1 off of last weekend...vs a hot Deerfield team.

Have you seen Jay Harris of Oswego play? Any thoughts? ESPN rates him very high.
Has been called the best uncommitted player in the Chicagoland or Illinois area...what AAU team did he play on?

Thanks for the input. And yes, that should be a good game with Waukegan newly crowned as #1 off of last weekend...vs a hot Deerfield team.

I have seen Harris, he played for Illinois Old School. He is a good player with a nice shot, but has a bit of a hitch. He is not a PG, he is more of a SG. Has a similiar game (minus the hops) and body type that Anthony Johnson, Purdue, has but isn't as tall. I believe that Iowa is done for 2010, if anything they will have to be something that we don't have coming in or don't have currently that is "special" as they said. My guess is that they are going to keep the scholorship for 2011.

I don't like the ESPN rankings. I don't put much stock in them, there is a reason that RSCIhoops.com doesn't put them in their composite ranking. They are more of a receiving video/hit or miss tournament ranker.

Roy and Harv from Illinois Prep Bullseye are pretty high on Harris after seeing him in person. These guys know there stuff when it comes to Illinois high school b-ball.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/page38.html

Those two are goof balls, you ever seen or met them? They wait till other places to state things then do their thing. They used to do some work for the suntimes.com blog section till they got dropped.

Don't get me wrong. I think that he is a very good player. I compare him to Anthony Johnson, just not as tall or as much of hops, but they are otherwise pretty much the same player.

Those two are goof balls, you ever seen or met them? They wait till other places to state things then do their thing. They used to do some work for the suntimes.com blog section till they got dropped.

This article is not based off of what other people have stated, and ACTUALLY Chicagohoops.com (Stinette) followed up with an article (linked below) on Harris today. So who is following who?

Class Of 2010 Oswego East Star Jay Harris Continues To Sizzle, And Scores 38 Points En Route To Leading His Team To A 68-62 Win Over Neuqua Valley

This article is not based off of what other people have stated, and ACTUALLY Chicagohoops.com (Stinette) followed up with an article (linked below) on Harris today. So who is following who?

Class Of 2010 Oswego East Star Jay Harris Continues To Sizzle, And Scores 38 Points En Route To Leading His Team To A 68-62 Win Over Neuqua Valley

Chicagohoops.com has had multiple articles of the past season on Harris...

Class Of 2010 Oswego East Star Jay Harris Pumps In 44 Points On 11-14 Three-Point Shooting........A Pair Of High-Major Schools Come In To Check Him Out
Class Of 2010 Oswego East Star Jay Harris Of Illinois Old School Is Actively Engaged In The Recruiting Process, And Has Starting Making Official Visits

Encore! Class Of 2010 Oswego East Star Jay Harris Follows Up His 47-Point Effort By Scoring 36 Points, Including The Game-Winning Three-Pointer At The Buzzer To Fuel A 57-54 Victory

Chicago Hoops
January 27, 2010

Class of 2010 Oswego East star Jay Harris of Illinois Old School continued his sensational play on Tuesday night by scoring 36 points, including the game-winning three-pointer at the buzzer to fuel a 57-54 victory over Streamwood. Harris, who is still uncommitted, rates as one of the top Class of 2010 basketball prospects in the state of Illinois.

Harris, who drilled a total of 6 three-point baskets in the game, saved his best work for the fourth quarter of the game, and scored 16 points in the final stanza, including the game-winning trey at the buzzer.

The 36-point effort by Harris is the latest in a series of sizzling efforts for the senior star. Last Friday, Harris scored 47 points en route to leading his team back from a 23-point second quarter deficit. Earlier this month, Harris dropped 35 points on Plainfield East. Harris scored 30 points in a win over East Aurora in the East Aurora Holiday Tournament at the end of December.

Valparaiso, Ball State, North Dakota State, Creighton, Northern Iowa, Nebraska and New Mexico State are all among a long line of schools recruiting Harris, who is a hot commodity on the recruiting trail.

(Couldn't find a link for that one)

Ask Spanky, don't mess with me on IL HS ball. I know my stuff.

Latest posts