Chicago Hoops.com..new ratings..

JHHawk

updated state of illinois player ratings as of 2/10/10...

1. jereme richmond- Illinois commit
2. meyers leonard- illini
3. lenzelle smith- OSU
4. Dragievich- Michigan
5. Starks Oregon St.
6. Crandal Head illini
7. mike McCall St Louis
8. Anthony Johnson Purdue
9. Reggie Smith marquette
10 Rayvonte Rice Drake
11 Phillip Jackson uncommitted...6'8'' power forward..ISU,Prov,Marquette
12.dukan wisc.
13 karl madison Drake
14 Ben Brust Iowa
15 Spearmon Dayton

Looks like a strong class in Illinois for 2010. I saw the #19 player, a 5'10 guard out of Hyde Park ,Fabyon Harris, play in the public league semis last nite vs Morgan Park....Harris, who has been called ''fastest player in chicago'' had a great effort with 27 pts in a losing cause...Morgan Park star Wayne Blackshear(Louisville,2011) had 41 and frosh phenon pg Markee Williams had 24 to lead Morgan Pk to the win..

What stands out here is the incredible recruiting job Drake's 2nd year coach (Phelps?) did in pulling Madison and Rice outta illinois...

Lot of Big Ten teams busy in chicago this year...8 of the top 14 going to the league.

Illini cleaned up in this class...no shock.
Should be interesting to follow these recruits over time as a lot of them are going to Iowa opponents...hope Ben Brust beats them all...we will see.

Last edited:
I thought Brust would be higher on the list. So Drake got two players ranked ahead of Brust? that makes no sense

Great info...Phelps at Drake had the #1 recruiting class in the Valley last year and does again this year. He's doing a very nice job with recruiting and let's face it, Drake isn't an easy place to recruit to. Things are looking up for the Bulldogs.

Saw an article by a Champaign sportwriter,who is an illini color guy, saying that Rice,out of Champaign is a complete stud who outplayed Richmond in a holiday tourny and that illinois made a huge mistake passing on him.
Compared him to Hersey Hawkins out of Bradley and longtime 76er star....sounds tough.

Rivals only shows that Rice is committed to Drake and he has not yet been ranked by Rivals. Does not show that Karl Madison is a Drake commit or even has a Drake offer. Says he is undecided with offers from Missouri St, Nevada, and UNI, not even interest from Drake. He also has yet to be ranked by Rivals, have not checked the Scout databases

I don't know if it's the same ranking, but the last time I saw a ranking of Chicago area hoopsters I'm pretty sure Brust was in the top 5 or 6, and certainly in the top 10. This is a substantially lower ranking and very surprising to me.

I am happy for Drake though. Kind of embarrassing that they landed two guys rated higher than our one.

Rivals only shows that Rice is committed to Drake and he has not yet been ranked by Rivals. Does not show that Karl Madison is a Drake commit or even has a Drake offer. Says he is undecided with offers from Missouri St, Nevada, and UNI, not even interest from Drake. He also has yet to be ranked by Rivals, have not checked the Scout databases

Madison is a Drake commit, if not already signed.

Those rating by chicagohoops.com are pretty funny. Being a HS basketball crazy guy in Chicago, I have seen almost all this year and all on the AAU circuit. I'll try to give a breakdown of each player tonight if I can get time away from my wife, but if I get lucky, all bets are off and look for it tomorrow! :)

I've seen Brust ranked in the top 10 of two other Illinois based rankings. I think the guy who does these rankings is affiliated with the Mac Irvin Fire AAU club, and notice 6 of the top 10 are from the Mac Irvin Fire. Coincidence? I think not.

I've seen Brust ranked in the top 10 of two other Illinois based rankings. I think the guy who does these rankings is affiliated with the Mac Irvin Fire AAU club, and notice 6 of the top 10 are from the Mac Irvin Fire. Coincidence? I think not.

Good point! And I'm so happy that you could actually share it with the rest of us rabble...

;-)

I'd say all those players on that list are pretty freaking good. We'll see what happens next year. No question that our program is NOT a draw. With bonehead coaching like the other night against Michigan it's no wonder ANYONE of value comes here.

Would make sense.

This is the lowest I have seen Brust in any local pub/site.

Latest posts