Chicago Cubs 2014 Season Thread (super-official)

Speaking for this Cubs fan, I am energized about this potential hire which now sounds pretty official. I can't say RR did a bad job, but like others have said when you have a chance at a guy like Maddon, you take it. He sort of reminds me of baseball's version of Phil Jackson, not sure why, but could be a very good fit in Chicago.

I just got the notification on my phone. I may have my hopes up too far but I expect the Cubs to be much better next year and then become a legitimate contender the next 2 to 3 years.

2 to 3 years is selling their core talent short, Theo has said before that 2019-20 is when he thinks this team's prime will be. They are going to be good for quite a while.

Speaking for this Cubs fan, I am energized about this potential hire which now sounds pretty official. I can't say RR did a bad job, but like others have said when you have a chance at a guy like Maddon, you take it. He sort of reminds me of baseball's version of Phil Jackson, not sure why, but could be a very good fit in Chicago.

Maddon_1280_z175pe5m_yb3e278q.jpg

phil-jackson-introduced-at-msg.jpg

Interesting...

It's Official! Rentaria has been let go as Manager!!! Enter Joe Maddon. Holy Cow I am starting to get more excited than I have ever been about the Cubs!!!!

I thought Theo said it well at the PC. Renteria deserved better than this, but the organization trumps any one man.

I thought Theo said it well at the PC. Renteria deserved better than this, but the organization trumps any one man.

Yeah, that is a tough spot. You can't put the interest of one man over the interest of the whole organization. Tough spot to be in, but there is no doubt Renteria deserved better.

Listening to the Maddon Press Conference right now! Man I am ready for baseball season to start already!!!

Maddon dressed like this to the press conference ended the PC by offering to buy drinks at the Cubby Bear for everyone in attendance. He'll fit right in on the North Side.

B1itmsxIcAA7pXV.jpg

Here is a fun list of the top 50 free agents from mlbtraderumors.com.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015-mlb-free-agents

They have the Cubs getting:
Jon Lester
Russell Martin
David Robertson
Justin Masterson
Jake Peavy

I would be happy if the Cubs could land 5 out of the top 50 free agents.

I don't think the Cubs will go after Robertson very hard (too expensive in dollars and draft picks), and I hope they don't give too much money to Peavy if they go after him. Lester and Martin seem like they'll be 1A and 1B in the Cubs' pursuit of FAs. The one thing that could make this a really interetsing year for free agency is the rumors that the Yankees will not be a player in any high price bidding wars. That will undoubtedly drive down the price of several guys, maybe including Robertson and Scherzer.

I don't think the Cubs will go after Robertson very hard (too expensive in dollars and draft picks), and I hope they don't give too much money to Peavy if they go after him. Lester and Martin seem like they'll be 1A and 1B in the Cubs' pursuit of FAs. The one thing that could make this a really interetsing year for free agency is the rumors that the Yankees will not be a player in any high price bidding wars. That will undoubtedly drive down the price of several guys, maybe including Robertson and Scherzer.

Agree with this. I personally don't want Peavy. He'll get more than he deserves and has an injury history. I think we can find someone cheaper that'll make his stats. Martin would be a good fit, I just don't want it to get in the way of Schwarber in a year or two. That guy is special I think.
We want a veteran outfielder. One guy that I believe just came available after the Orioles decided not to pick up an option in Nick Markakis. He is pretty solid and could be cheap. I would also be interested in Torii Hunter for a 1 year deal. I would like them to move Bryant to LF personally.

Just as many have predicted, the Cubs are going to pursue Martin ~LINK~

I wouldn't be opposed to Peavy but like bogeyman said, the asking price will probably be too high for a guy with his age and durability. If the years and price are right I say go for it. I also don't like the idea of going after Robertson.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hunter signed to a short term contract. I'd like to see Melky as a Cub but he will probably want a 5 year deal in which he won't be worth it the last half of the contract.

Perhaps bring in a guy like Chase Headley that can play 3B and a little bit of LF. This would be an even better move if Bryant is going to be moving to LF. Sadly though, it sounds like the Yankees are working on resigning him.

One thing is for certain, it's going to be a fun free agency to watch.

Latest posts