Checkin' up on the 'Clones

homerHAWKeye777

Current word out of the 'Clone camp is that the O won the "first round" against their D in their last scrimmage.

Many of the standard excuses apply insofar that a number of their top guys on D weren't in action. However, the Hawks can make the same claims concerning our D lacking some of its top guys.

What I found interesting about this early word out of the Cyclone camp is that the D was supposed to be the team strength, whereas the O was supposed to be a work in progress. Logic dictates that this early word points to the Cyclones lack of depth on D. A team strength ought to have a marked advantage against a transitioning O ... and this should arguably even hold, even if a few important guys are out.

On first pass, Iowa fans could maybe consider it troubling that the O seemed to win the day against the D at the Kid's Day scrimmage. However, considering that we all knew that the O was going to be a strength ... it really should not come as a surprise. The match-ups suggested that such an outcome would be likely.

Another word on the 'Clones is that they're not as deep at DT than they originally had been hoping. A JUCO transfer who they were counting on still hasn't made it to camp because he's dealing with "academic issues." Also, their prize DT recruit, Pompey, had some medical work done on him and he's slated to miss ALL of camp. The immediate repercussion there is that Pompey will most likely redshirt this season ... if he doesn't then he's going to be having to show Coker-esque sort of smarts.

The immediate implication there is that they're now quite obviously thin at a pretty important spot.

On the flip side, current word also suggest that they're sitting pretty well when it comes to defensive ends. They have some guys who could actually be a threat when it comes to rushing the passer.

Now returning to the original claim that the O won the day at their past scrimmage. It's also important to note that the O seems to be passing a good bit and they're having luck moving the chains. That seems to confirm my suspicion that they're probably going to be somewhat exploitable at safety ... particularly considering that they lost 3 of their top safeties from last years squad. I admit that such a claim requires a little bit of a jump in logic ... however, were the 'Clone secondary as formidable as their fan base likes to claim ... then the opposing O wouldn't have had so much luck in the passing game.

Anyhow, given that the 'Clone game will be at Jack Trice, I'm of the opinion that pretty much anything can happen at the game ... potentially even a Cyclone victory. When you further add to the mix that we all know that the Iowa D will be a "work in progress" at the beginning of the season ... it's reassuring to know that match-ups in the Iowa vs ISU game still are favoring the Hawks at this juncture (knock on wood). As we've all learned from the '09 season ... sometimes you really do need a little bit of luck to go your way. With a little luck, Iowa still appears to have a chance to go unscathed into the Pitt game. From that point, we'll have a better vantage from which to evaluate our beloved Hawks.

So Jantz is the likely starter?

From what I've read, it sounds like the situation has continued to get "muddier." It now sounds like it's a 3-way race ... and it doesn't sound like there's too much separation between the guys.

The Steele Jantz fans are likely happy to know that Jantz appears to have made strides. However, still I haven't read anything that conclusively suggests that there's much separation yet in their QB competition.

Needless to say, many, if not most Cyclone fans will go postal if Tiller ends up winning the job. He's apparently been making a good number of negative tweets through twitter ... and some 'Clone fans seem to be questioning his attitude as a result of the said tweets.

Is this 3-way race a good thing? From what clone fans are saying Tiller sucks, which means the other 2 must not be much better.

Is this 3-way race a good thing? From what clone fans are saying Tiller sucks, which means the other 2 must not be much better.

That is what I was thinking, Tiller couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat so what does it say if the other 2 can't separate themselves?

I thought all along that Tiller was going to win the QB job. Way more experience than the other guy. Of course, after they suck for a few games Jantz will get his shot, and then folks will see that he's not all that he's cracked up to be.

ISU is goint to flat out SUCK this year, and I can't wait.

Of course, they still have a 50/50 shot to beat the Hawks in their Super Bowl.

Barnett is a RS freshman he gets a little bit of slack....he is the future more than likely....Aug. 20 Rhoades makes a decision on who the QB will be not gonna lie here I will be paying attention and to the UNI game as well.

My comfort level of Iowa winning this game hinges on who wins the QB job and their performance in the UNI game.

Barnett is a RS freshman he gets a little bit of slack....he is the future more than likely....Aug. 20 Rhoades makes a decision on who the QB will be not gonna lie here I will be paying attention and to the UNI game as well.

My comfort level of Iowa winning this game hinges on who wins the QB job and their performance in the UNI game.

ISU suffers an embarrassing loss to UNI at home 24-13 after already losing at home to Kent St the week prior. The following week Iowa (2-0) goes into JT after thumping a terrible Syracuse team 35-0 and loses to 0-2 ISU 15-13 in one of the worst games ever played.

I will put NO stock into the IOWA/ISU game based on the results from week one.

2002 is another example that anything can happen in this series...

ISU suffers an embarrassing loss to UNI at home 24-13 after already losing at home to Kent St the week prior. The following week Iowa (2-0) goes into JT after thumping a terrible Syracuse team 35-0 and loses to 0-2 ISU 15-13 in one of the worst games ever played.

i remember last year at this time it was big news out of clown town that the O beat the D. (how awesome our O must be, how awesome our OC must be, yadda, yadda). What that really means, at this time of the year, is that your D sux. And that is how it played out.

let's hope, for our sake, the same thing isn't happening here. Big difference is their O sucked too, and I don't believe our O will suck.

Didn't Iowa also have Jake the Snake at QB that year...THAT would explain a lot about why Iowa played so poorly.

The 2002 game, didn't they have Wallace at QB and Mac as coach, who got the clowns up higher than a kite?

The Iowa staff is putting a little more emphasis on this game these days...sure anything can happen but Iowa is not going to lose to the clowns this year.

I would agree with this assertion. Almost always, when ISU comes out of the gates really pathetically, the Hawks (meaning the players) then grossly underestimate the 'Clones. As a result, that sets up the Hawks for failure then.

I sincerely hope that ISU gives Iowa some good tape to go off of from week 1.

I'm less worried about the 'Clone O. I'm going to be paying closer attention to the 'Clone D.

I had family at the scrimmage on Saturday. Everyone came away believing that Jantz played and ran the offense better than they had seen in years. The D was resting a few players but Jantz was smooth and sound in his performance. Don't know where everyone is still hearing its a three way tie. Jantz has improved by miles this summer after learning the offense all spring. Tiller may get the complementary nod against UNI but Jantz will be the QB by everything I have heard. The loss of AA is going to be a blessing.

Well it is a scrimmage. Remember two or so years back when Iowa fans were terrified about their offensive line b/c they were getting killed in practice? I don't take a lot out of these things right now as there is lots of coach talk going on right now. They only let out exactly what they want to let out.

I think Jantz and Barnett are the two fighting it out for #1 from what I have heard. Tiller was 3rd string in the practice but like I said, coaches keep it quiet.

I'm not worried about the starting defense but like you said, depth is an issue. It looked like we would finally have some depth but now we are 2 short on DT and had 2 LB's that would have been in the 2/3 deeps quit. That's unfortunate.

I'm still not convinced that our DE's will be as good as they are saying. Hope I'm wrong. I do love our freshmen DE's. We got a kid in Irving who I have stood next to and he is a man child. Only 17 and played only 2 seasons but he is 6'7 255 and athletic. Very impressive. But I'm not sure if he will play this year.

The defense in scrimmage played without guys like Knott. You take a Jake Knott out of any defense and they won't be as good.

2 biggest things for Iowa State this year to be successful. 1) Can their front 4 get SOME pressure. 2) Can the QB to WR complete the easy passes (sad but we have struggled at that the past 2 years)

And to TylerSash, I'm not predicting a record but Iowa State will not suck this year.

I had family at the scrimmage on Saturday. Everyone came away believing that Jantz played and ran the offense better than they had seen in years. The D was resting a few players but Jantz was smooth and sound in his performance. Don't know where everyone is still hearing its a three way tie. Jantz has improved by miles this summer after learning the offense all spring. Tiller may get the complementary nod against UNI but Jantz will be the QB by everything I have heard. The loss of AA is going to be a blessing.

Agree, losing a senior QB who started and played 98% of your teams snaps the year before is always a blessing.

Pffft, whatever.

IMO, the only reason Tiller is still even being considered is that he has the experience. That's it. Personally, I think that Jantz is the starter from the get-go and at some point, Barnett will move into the 2 spot. If Tiller woud have accepted the fact that he wasn't a QB at this level and would have moved to a WR spot, I think he'd be a happier kid right now.

IMO, the only reason Tiller is still even being considered is that he has the experience. That's it. Personally, I think that Jantz is the starter from the get-go and at some point, Barnett will move into the 2 spot. If Tiller woud have accepted the fact that he wasn't a QB at this level and would have moved to a WR spot, I think he'd be a happier kid right now.

But can he throw the ball 100 yards from his knees? And is he from Texas? Much rather have a 3rd or 4th tier guy from Texas than anywhere else - know what I mean?

But can he throw the ball 100 yards from his knees? And is he from Texas? Much rather have a 3rd or 4th tier guy from Texas than anywhere else - know what I mean?

He could only do that when he had his long hair. Now, he can only throw it 13 feet from a standing position.

Latest posts