Checkin' up on the 'Clones

Well, ISU is 'blessed' with good QB's from time to time. Just not convinced the 'blessing' will arrive as swiftly as some might hope.

I don't think ISU fans want a miracle. But Arnaud was so distincly bad for 3-5 plays every game that it would pitch us out of games. Tiller was even worse running the offense. Fact is, neither of those guys were recruited to run this offense. We are hoping a recruit that was can win the job.

Agree, losing a senior QB who started and played 98% of your teams snaps the year before is always a blessing.

Pffft, whatever.
What does it matter if he was a senior? He was an average QB at best. Just because he started last season does not make him great, Rhoads had no other option. Jantz was not even here last season.

I had family at the scrimmage on Saturday. Everyone came away believing that Jantz played and ran the offense better than they had seen in years. The D was resting a few players but Jantz was smooth and sound in his performance. Don't know where everyone is still hearing its a three way tie. Jantz has improved by miles this summer after learning the offense all spring. Tiller may get the complementary nod against UNI but Jantz will be the QB by everything I have heard. The loss of AA is going to be a blessing.

I was just going off of what I was reading on Cyclone fanatic. I would be willing to guess that Chris Williams is better appraised of the ISU situation than the average ISU fan.

I think it's funny when people try to make big assumptions over the season based on some preseason practice reports. We should all know by now they are borderline meaningless. Moreso, jumping to the conclusion that "OMG the clowns D sux doods" over one day of practice just amuses me. It's like a Chiefs fan assuming that Matt Cassell will only exist to hand the ball off and they won't score any points based on the first preseason game.

I loved Arnaud, and I think ISU will miss his leadership. We will not miss his play against Iowa. He has been utterly atrocious against the Hawks and that is not debatable.

We'll see how ISU looks against UNI. Trying to glean meaningful information from practice reports is an exercise in futility.

What does it matter if he was a senior? He was an average QB at best. Just because he started last season does not make him great, Rhoads had no other option. Jantz was not even here last season.

Arnaud is MUCH better that ISU fans give him credit. However, he definitely suffered from having to change up schemes like he had.

98%? Nope.

You are right though. No QB in history has come in and played better than the QB before him. Never happens :rolleyes:

And yet does the new QB come in and light the world on fire by GAME TWO? That RARELY happens!

Brad Banks played quite a bit in '01 and yet it took several games into the '02 season before he really took off. Similarly, Drew Tate had a great first season starting ... however, he still looked pretty mediocre until the start of the conference slate.

Similarly, assuming that Jantz starts, he'll still be green enough by game 2 ... that ISU's O won't be firing on all cylinders.

And yet does the new QB come in and light the world on fire by GAME TWO? That RARELY happens!

Brad Banks played quite a bit in '01 and yet it took several games into the '02 season before he really took off. Similarly, Drew Tate had a great first season starting ... however, he still looked pretty mediocre until the start of the conference slate.

Similarly, assuming that Jantz starts, he'll still be green enough by game 2 ... that ISU's O won't be firing on all cylinders.

Never said that Jantz or Barnett will be firing on all cylinders. I don't expect it. But will it be hard to have these type of stats?

10 for 22. 79 yards passing. 0 TD's. 4 INT's

20 for 44. 197 yards passing. 1 meaningless TD. 3 INT's

I'm guessing whoever the QB is can complete at least 45% of their passes and average more than 4.18 yards per pass.

I think it's funny when people try to make big assumptions over the season based on some preseason practice reports. We should all know by now they are borderline meaningless. Moreso, jumping to the conclusion that "OMG the clowns D sux doods" over one day of practice just amuses me. It's like a Chiefs fan assuming that Matt Cassell will only exist to hand the ball off and they won't score any points based on the first preseason game.

I loved Arnaud, and I think ISU will miss his leadership. We will not miss his play against Iowa. He has been utterly atrocious against the Hawks and that is not debatable.

We'll see how ISU looks against UNI. Trying to glean meaningful information from practice reports is an exercise in futility.

The information gleaned still provides a snapshot. I agree that the info cannot truly be utilized to ascertain whether a team "sucks" or not. However, it still provides useful information just as long as you're willing to put that info into context.

- Given the number of major components that the ISU O lost from the prior season, it's not a good sign for the O to be getting the better of the D ... EVEN IF the D is sitting Knott and Dutch.

- As I've indicated, the PRIMARY take-home message from the scrimmage concerns ISU's depth. Considering that injuries are commonplace in football ... all it will take is a single injury to really usurp any preseason hopes that ISU fans might have.

And, mind you, I recognize that my beloved Hawkeyes are teetering on a similar abyss. If Iowa gets hit by the injury bug on the DL or at LB ... then the Hawks are likely going to find themselves in a tough spot. No doubt about it.

Never said that Jantz or Barnett will be firing on all cylinders. I don't expect it. But will it be hard to have these type of stats?

10 for 22. 79 yards passing. 0 TD's. 4 INT's

20 for 44. 197 yards passing. 1 meaningless TD. 3 INT's

I'm guessing whoever the QB is can complete at least 45% of their passes and average more than 4.18 yards per pass.

In '09, Arnaud was guilty of "pressing." In '10, Iowa's D simply killed the 'Clone O. More importantly, ISU's D simply didn't have an answer to Iowa's O in '10.

What's intriguing is that Iowa's O has a chance to be FAR BETTER in '11. This fact is the very reason why I'm more interested in the status and/or progress of the ISU D.

In '09, Arnaud was guilty of "pressing." In '10, Iowa's D simply killed the 'Clone O. More importantly, ISU's D simply didn't have an answer to Iowa's O in '10.

What's intriguing is that Iowa's O has a chance to be FAR BETTER in '11. This fact is the very reason why I'm more interested in the status and/or progress of the ISU D.

I hear this alot, but Stanzi and DJK were very good. Everyone loves Vandenberg, but I just can't believe he will be better than Stanzi out of the gate. He also replaces a proven star in DJK with an underacheiver in KD. Iowa's Arob was still fresh during this game, and played great. I don't see Coker playing that much better, even though I think he will be better over the course of the year with his physical gifts.

In other words, Iowas O will be good, but that early in the season, breaking in a key position, I don't think it will be better than what they put on the field in '10.

I thought all along that Tiller was going to win the QB job. Way more experience than the other guy. Of course, after they suck for a few games Jantz will get his shot, and then folks will see that he's not all that he's cracked up to be.

ISU is goint to flat out SUCK this year, and I can't wait.

Of course, they still have a 50/50 shot to beat the Hawks in their Super Bowl.

So according to your logic, if ISU wins you are really going to be bad. The Super Bowl crap is dumb, and a Hawks fan excuse if you lose. If it is our "Super Bowl" that would be Kirk's fault for not getting them ready.

I hear this alot, but Stanzi and DJK were very good. Everyone loves Vandenberg, but I just can't believe he will be better than Stanzi out of the gate. He also replaces a proven star in DJK with an underacheiver in KD. Iowa's Arob was still fresh during this game, and played great. I don't see Coker playing that much better, even though I think he will be better over the course of the year with his physical gifts.

In other words, Iowas O will be good, but that early in the season, breaking in a key position, I don't think it will be better than what they put on the field in '10.

that's fair.

IMO, Iowa's offensive success will ride on 2 things in 2011. 1) Oline...If they can dominate early and often, life becomes pretty easy for Vandy and the rest of the team, especially early in the season. 2) Vandy's decision making and whether he can consistently get the offense out of 'bad' plays. This, unfortunately, is something that takes time to master, however, Vandy has been in the program long enough that hopefully this learning period won't be too extended.

Last edited:

2010 was definitely more of a beat down. Our defense in 2010 was very young though. Knott and Klein only had 1 start in them and Benton was gone for a funeral. Much more experience now. Sims is the only guy on defense that we lost that will hurt.

On offense we have great depth at every position but TE.

Like many fans you're paying too much attention to the "smoke and mirrors." In other words ... you're caring too much about the skill positions ... all the while, you're ignoring how Iowa's O actually works.

The KEY reason why I assert what I asserted are the following factors:

1. Iowa returns an OL that has a tremendous ceiling. More importantly, they're NASTY and they're EXPERIENCED!

2. Iowa will feature a great mixture of depth and talent at TE. The versatility of Iowa's TEs allows the O to dictate things a bit more to opposing Ds.

3. The trio of Coker, White/Johnson, and McCall brings more contrast and power to the Iowa running game. I'd argue that it's a better group of RBs too (although I was always high on Hampton, when healthy).

4. Vandenberg already has enough experience so that he can AT LEAST effectively MANAGE football games. Given the above three factors ... Iowa's O will be potent provided that Vandenberg can AT LEAST manage games.

As for any remarks about DJK ... folks have to remember that he became Iowa's all-time stats leader because he was also a 4-year starter. Furthermore, DJK had the benefit of a pretty darn good QB in Stanzi passing him the ball. Few fans seem to recognize the NEGATIVE impact that DJK brought to the field and locker-room. He was a distraction and he was a VERY poor leader. In marked contrast, Marvin McNutt has been a tremendous leader for the Hawks. There's a reason why McNutt will be a high draft pick ... whereas DJK is still playing the waiting game to even get picked up as a free-agent!

Anyhow, the above factors in themselves are HUGE when it comes to how effective Iowa's O could be.

Like many fans you're paying too much attention to the "smoke and mirrors." In other words ... you're caring too much about the skill positions ... all the while, you're ignoring how Iowa's O actually works.

The KEY reason why I assert what I asserted are the following factors:

1. Iowa returns an OL that has a tremendous ceiling. More importantly, they're NASTY and they're EXPERIENCED!

2. Iowa will feature a great mixture of depth and talent at TE. The versatility of Iowa's TEs allows the O to dictate things a bit more to opposing Ds.

3. The trio of Coker, White/Johnson, and McCall brings more contrast and power to the Iowa running game. I'd argue that it's a better group of RBs too (although I was always high on Hampton, when healthy).

4. Vandenberg already has enough experience so that he can AT LEAST effectively MANAGE football games. Given the above three factors ... Iowa's O will be potent provided that Vandenberg can AT LEAST manage games.

As for any remarks about DJK ... folks have to remember that he became Iowa's all-time stats leader because he was also a 4-year starter. Furthermore, DJK had the benefit of a pretty darn good QB in Stanzi passing him the ball. Few fans seem to recognize the NEGATIVE impact that DJK brought to the field and locker-room. He was a distraction and he was a VERY poor leader. In marked contrast, Marvin McNutt has been a tremendous leader for the Hawks. There's a reason why McNutt will be a high draft pick ... whereas DJK is still playing the waiting game to even get picked up as a free-agent!

Anyhow, the above factors in themselves are HUGE when it comes to how effective Iowa's O could be.

I'm sorry baby jesus for mentioning that which should not be mentioned.

Another thing ... given that Iowa features a pro-friendly O and loves its TEs .... how exactly can you assert that Keenan Davis is an underachiever? Iowa had a lot of experience at WR over the past 2 years and, as a result, Keenan was lower down on the depth chart. However, when Davis was given a chance because McNutt got dinged ... he stepped up and played fine. Furthermore, he still has received plenty of reps. It's a simple matter of logic that Iowa's top 2 WRs + the top TE will get the most looks. Thus, there naturally wouldn't be many looks going Keenan's way.

Whether Keenan Davis is an underacheiver will be determined more on the basis of his play in the 2011 season!

Latest posts