Checkin' up on the 'Clones

2010 was definitely more of a beat down. Our defense in 2010 was very young though. Knott and Klein only had 1 start in them and Benton was gone for a funeral. Much more experience now. Sims is the only guy on defense that we lost that will hurt.

On offense we have great depth at every position but TE.

Great depth?

- You have what, 3 guys with starting experience on the OL?
- You lost Sed Johnson and your most consistent WR in Williams. Remind me how consistent your WRs have been since Herman has taken over the O.
- Your only QB with prior starts is considered by fans as a clear 3rd stringer.
- Your uber-talented and versatile RB has graduated. The current group of ISU RBs has talent ... but they don't yet bring the same versatility to the table.
- Aside from the fact that I like the talent that ISU has at RB ... remind me how many starts you guys have at the position.
- I like Hamerschmidt (spelling?) ... but losing Franklin was still big.

Sorry, that doesn't add up to being "great depth."

Of course, in your defense, Iowa's O isn't terribly deep either. If McNutt gets hurt ... you're going to hear a collective gasp out of the Hawkeye Nation. If Coker gets hurt (heaven forbid) ... you're going to hear a collective gasp out of the Hawkeye Nation. However, fortunately Iowa still has a really nice level of talent on the OL ... and that is where it all starts for the Hawks.

2010 was definitely more of a beat down. Our defense in 2010 was very young though. Knott and Klein only had 1 start in them and Benton was gone for a funeral. Much more experience now. Sims is the only guy on defense that we lost that will hurt.

I agree with your assertion about the D. Your D is in a much better place in '11 than it was in '10.

Never said that Jantz or Barnett will be firing on all cylinders. I don't expect it. But will it be hard to have these type of stats?

10 for 22. 79 yards passing. 0 TD's. 4 INT's

20 for 44. 197 yards passing. 1 meaningless TD. 3 INT's

I'm guessing whoever the QB is can complete at least 45% of their passes and average more than 4.18 yards per pass.

And yet in 2008 Arnaud was 21 for 34 for 224 yards! He completely picked Iowa apart! It's true that he also threw 2 picks ... however, had one of those passes not been quite so underthrown ... it would have resulted in a TD. Thus, he was at least trying to make some plays.

It seems to me that Arnaud's game went downhill only AFTER Herman took over the ISU O.

And, as I recall, over the past 2 years many ISU fans have been rather critical of Herman too. Maybe Herman isn't the mastermind on O that so many folks wanted to believe?

I'm less worried about the 'Clone O. I'm going to be paying closer attention to the 'Clone D.

I am just the opposite.

X-factor will be turnovers of course, but if the TO battle is even the Iowa O will put up at least 17 to 21 points. imo, it will be a matter of the ISU O being able to match that.

Improved ISU O vs.a revamped Iowa D, that will be the difference, imo. Big assumption on my part that the ISU O will be vastly improved.

Im hoping that switching the wr and te coaches makes a difference with the wr's, mainly catching the ball. Why the old wr coach wasnt fired is beyond me. Newer guys like jarvis west and donnie jennert can be big play wideouts, but everyone needs to become consistent before we worry about 40 yard passes.
I think Shontrelle Johnson will be just as good as Arob, and isu seems to have the most depth at rb in years.

ISU suffers an embarrassing loss to UNI at home 24-13 after already losing at home to Kent St the week prior. The following week Iowa (2-0) goes into JT after thumping a terrible Syracuse team 35-0 and loses to 0-2 ISU 15-13 in one of the worst games ever played.

I will put NO stock into the IOWA/ISU game based on the results from week one.

2002 is another example that anything can happen in this series...

Leave '07 out of the equation I am looking for specific things out of the ISU QB in that UNI game. It is no secret what type of QB, what type of teams give Iowa fits. The UNI/ISU game will be competitive enough where you will able gauge, get a good feel of what ISU will and won't be able to do against the Hawks.

Great depth?

- You have what, 3 guys with starting experience on the OL?
- You lost Sed Johnson and your most consistent WR in Williams. Remind me how consistent your WRs have been since Herman has taken over the O.
- Your only QB with prior starts is considered by fans as a clear 3rd stringer.
- Your uber-talented and versatile RB has graduated. The current group of ISU RBs has talent ... but they don't yet bring the same versatility to the table.
- Aside from the fact that I like the talent that ISU has at RB ... remind me how many starts you guys have at the position.
- I like Hamerschmidt (spelling?) ... but losing Franklin was still big.

Sorry, that doesn't add up to being "great depth."

Of course, in your defense, Iowa's O isn't terribly deep either. If McNutt gets hurt ... you're going to hear a collective gasp out of the Hawkeye Nation. If Coker gets hurt (heaven forbid) ... you're going to hear a collective gasp out of the Hawkeye Nation. However, fortunately Iowa still has a really nice level of talent on the OL ... and that is where it all starts for the Hawks.

Yes, great depth.

Losing Sed Johnson doesn't hurt at all. The guy barely played last year and let's be honest, he was a head case and stunk. 300 yards in 3 seasons? That's a bad season for a starting WR let alone 3 seasons.

We return 3 out of 5 starters on the line but more importantly the go deep on the offensive line without losing much (besides KO obviously). Best depth we have had at this position in a long long time.

We have plenty of RB's. Quality? We will see, but there is depth there.

WR's we have plenty of guys who have been the program now and also have some freshmen who could play.

Now when I say depth, it doesn't always mean great talent. Our best position is linebacker but we have no depth there at all right now.

Oh and ARob was talented but he was far from uber talented and he wasn't the talent that Shontrelle is. Staff loves Shontrelle. More explosive and shifty, and runs harder than ARob did.

And yet in 2008 Arnaud was 21 for 34 for 224 yards! He completely picked Iowa apart! It's true that he also threw 2 picks ... however, had one of those passes not been quite so underthrown ... it would have resulted in a TD. Thus, he was at least trying to make some plays.

It seems to me that Arnaud's game went downhill only AFTER Herman took over the ISU O.

And, as I recall, over the past 2 years many ISU fans have been rather critical of Herman too. Maybe Herman isn't the mastermind on O that so many folks wanted to believe?

21 for 34 but missed 2 wide open WR's for TD's. No question AA was better under McFarland than Herman but it was also his 3rd offensive coordinator in 4 years. See Jason Campbell for how that will mess up a QB.

In '09, Arnaud was guilty of "pressing." In '10, Iowa's D simply killed the 'Clone O. More importantly, ISU's D simply didn't have an answer to Iowa's O in '10.

What's intriguing is that Iowa's O has a chance to be FAR BETTER in '11. This fact is the very reason why I'm more interested in the status and/or progress of the ISU D.

So it's impossible that the starting QB for our game by game two will be able to be as good as Arnaud, but the Hawks O will be FAR BETTER? I think you're living up to your name here.

And yes, ISU is not a deep team. It would not surprise me. In fact, if ISU had any depth on the defensive line especially it would shock me because generally does not have any depth on the defensive line. I think you put a lot more stock into these reports. I take these scrimmage reports like I do PTL and CCL summer basketball reports - they are almost pointless outside of the entertainment provided.

I am critical of Herman, but his offense is predicated on accuracy from the QB position... not exactly a strength of Arnaud's.

So it's impossible that the starting QB for our game by game two will be able to be as good as Arnaud, but the Hawks O will be FAR BETTER? I think you're living up to your name here.

And yes, ISU is not a deep team. It would not surprise me. In fact, if ISU had any depth on the defensive line especially it would shock me because generally does not have any depth on the defensive line. I think you put a lot more stock into these reports. I take these scrimmage reports like I do PTL and CCL summer basketball reports - they are almost pointless outside of the entertainment provided.

But you just said that the success of Herman's O is predicated on QB-play. Color me confused ....

New updates:

- Steele Jantz has been named the starter. A RS FR is the back-up.
- Tiller has been declared academically ineligble.
- Jennert, a WR, has been declared academically ineligible.
- Darius Reynolds, one of their top WRs, has a broken toe. He should be able to be good to go by the Iowa game, however, he won't be at 100%.

Latest posts