Chances Lick Comes Back Next Year?

Except there is one pretty important difference - Iowa basketball has a history of winning, whereas Iowa State has a history of being awful

No. Consider the coaching gravestones left in Iowa City by the following:

Lute Olson
George Raveling (oh, the wicked jokes I could repeat about his years here, but won't)
Tom Davis
Steve Alford
Todd Lickliter (maybe not be this year, but certainly within the next year)

Olson -- Left on his own. But he was quoted in media reports several times about his discomfort with the "fishbowl" he and his wife felt in Iowa City. He could have stayed for a long, long time, but chose to leave for ... Tucson (have you ever been to Tucson?)
Raveling -- A fish out of water from Day One. Great recruiter, so-so bench coach. Hated being second-guessed by Iowa fans.
Davis -- Probably should have spent less time on the links, more sitting on hard benches watching the nation's top recruits. But could have stayed a long time if a previous AD had ordained it so.
Alford -- Poor fit from Day One. Mr. Hoosier, disciple of Bob Knight, never played the part of Iowa's Basketball Fan in Chief from the start. He gave Hawkeye fans plenty of reason to embrace their Midwest stubbornism and doubt.
Lickliter -- Clearly has lost the fan base and his team. The only question is whether his resume will read three years post-Butler or four. At least Nate Kaeding should get a kick out of his new digs in Iowa City.

No. Consider the coaching gravestones left in Iowa City by the following:

Lute Olson
George Raveling (oh, the wicked jokes I could repeat about his years here, but won't)
Tom Davis
Steve Alford
Todd Lickliter (maybe not be this year, but certainly within the next year)

Olson -- Left on his own. But he was quoted in media reports several times about his discomfort with the "fishbowl" he and his wife felt in Iowa City. He could have stayed for a long, long time, but chose to leave for ... Tucson (have you ever been to Tucson?)
Raveling -- A fish out of water from Day One. Great recruiter, so-so bench coach. Hated being second-guessed by Iowa fans.
Davis -- Probably should have spent less time on the links, more sitting on hard benches watching the nation's top recruits. But could have stayed a long time if a previous AD had ordained it so.
Alford -- Poor fit from Day One. Mr. Hoosier, disciple of Bob Knight, never played the part of Iowa's Basketball Fan in Chief from the start. He gave Hawkeye fans plenty of reason to embrace their Midwest stubbornism and doubt.
Lickliter -- Clearly has lost the fan base and his team. The only question is whether his resume will read three years post-Butler or four. At least Nate Kaeding should get a kick out of his new digs in Iowa City.

I agree with all of that other then Lick losing the team if that was the case they would have mailed it in long ago. Sure there have been a couple of bad loses (last night for sure) but we have been in almost every game that doesn't happen if Lick has lost the team. It just doesn't.

As for the topic of this thread 100% and he deserves another year.

Lickliter won't be fired after this year but I highly doubt he will ever even get the chance to sign another contract with the hawks, if he does Barta's job should be in question.

I agree with all of that other then Lick losing the team if that was the case they would have mailed it in long ago. Sure there have been a couple of bad loses (last night for sure) but we have been in almost every game that doesn't happen if Lick has lost the team. It just doesn't.

As for the topic of this thread 100% and he deserves another year.

I don't think he deserves another year. But he will be getting one. If not more.

The tolerance of incopetence in the Iowa Athletic Dept needs to end. God, I wish Gable would take the job for just 1 year; he has the balls to clean out the dead wood that has been there for years and would never tolerate losing like this BB team.

Lick will be back, team will be better, probably will get an extension after this year. Either some of you don't pay attention or you joined after the fact. The extension has already been discussed. There is a good chance Lick will get a one year extension, which always helps with recruiting, no pay raise and perhaps any sort of buyout would be nixed from the contract.

The best help with recruiting would be to bring in someone who can actually recruit. Enough with the mid-major talent.

Lick will be back, team will be better, probably will get an extension after this year. Either some of you don't pay attention or you joined after the fact. The extension has already been discussed. There is a good chance Lick will get a one year extension, which always helps with recruiting, no pay raise and perhaps any sort of buyout would be nixed from the contract.

An extension would be monumentally stupid. Don't give me that "it helps recruiting" crap because Lick hasn't been recruiting well to begin with.

Latest posts