Chances Lick Comes Back Next Year?

Unless Lick pulls an Alford and leaves on his own, he will be here next season.

And the season after that! Barta has said he plans on giving Lick a pass this year and considers this season as his first. He has also, to paraphrase, said he plans on keeping Todd for the next few years so he can rebuild our program and fanbase.

Last night during his post game presser he was asked if Gatens and Fuller will get to play in the NCAA tourney before they graduate and he said he wants to shoot for a .500 record next year and then believes that will be enough the following season to warrant an NCAA berth by Gatens' and Fuller's senior year! So don't be surprised when Lickliter is here come 2011-2012 season as well because although a .500 record isn't acceptable next season for many fans, Lick believes it is and Barta is on board as well.

Unless Lick pulls an Alford and leaves on his own, he will be here next season.

Pulls an Alford: be careful what you wish for.

Watch Lick leave Iowa and coach at some WAC or Ohio Valley school, then come up with a 28-3 record and a COY bid.

Oh, good granny's gravy! No more Alfords, please. Can't take this wacky karma thing that seems to be going on.

And the season after that! Barta has said he plans on giving Lick a pass this year and considers this season as his first. He has also, to paraphrase, said he plans on keeping Todd for the next few years so he can rebuild our program and fanbase.

Last night during his post game presser he was asked if Gatens and Fuller will get to play in the NCAA tourney before they graduate and he said he wants to shoot for a .500 record next year and then believes that will be enough the following season to warrant an NCAA berth by Gatens' and Fuller's senior year! So don't be surprised when Lickliter is here come 2011-2012 season as well because although a .500 record isn't acceptable next season for many fans, Lick believes it is and Barta is on board as well.

I am of the opinion that Lick doesn't get it turned around at Iowa. Nonetheless, from here on out the relevant question is whether the program appears to headed up. Lick will be at Iowa for so long as things appear to in place so that there will be improvement during the following season. With no one but Bauwinkle graduating, and with the 2010 recruiting class bringing in increased talent and depth, it would appear that things are in place so that there will be improvement during the 2010-11 year, THUS Lick keeps his job for now.

However, should a key player or two transfer at this point (or quietly go to Barta and threaten to transfer), such that it doesn't look like things will improve during the 2010-11 year, then Lick will be gone after this season.

Jon,if he loses one player who played any significant time,I think Barta is gonna be told to do something about the situation. They can not keep using the excuse "we are young". We are young because we keep losing our players. We have no bench because of deflections. Then we end up putting the coaches son in. How embarrassing!
Spot on. Young excuse is just that...an excuse. The simple fact that we are down to giving the water boy minutes says it all. Wiscy players were laughing mid way thru the first half.

I am of the opinion that Lick doesn't get it turned around at Iowa. Nonetheless, from here on out the relevant question is whether the program appears to headed up. Lick will be at Iowa for so long as things appear to in place so that there will be improvement during the following season. With no one but Bauwinkle graduating, and with the 2010 recruiting class bringing in increased talent and depth, it would appear that things are in place so that there will be improvement during the 2010-11 year, THUS Lick keeps his job for now.

However, should a key player or two transfer at this point (or quietly go to Barta and threaten to transfer), such that it doesn't look like things will improve during the 2010-11 year, then Lick will be gone after this season.

I think the only way Lick is not back is if a group of players such as Gatens, Fuller, and May attempted a coup and went to Barta with "if Lick is the coach next year we are transferring". Those 3 players based on the year they had on a horrible team could land on their feet at a decent high level program.

That is a bad scenario when the players take over a team, but I am not sure in this situation it is any worse than having no effective leadership of the team or leadership without the commitment of the players.

Anyone who has watched any college basketball knows the gap between Iowa and virtually any other team is staggering. If you think Carver Hawkeye is empty this year, wait until next season.

1.2 million a year to run the program into the ground. Quit making excuses, the guy isn't getting it done. A 22 loss season...wow.

Pulls an Alford: be careful what you wish for.

Watch Lick leave Iowa and coach at some WAC or Ohio Valley school, then come up with a 28-3 record and a COY bid.

If that happens, so be it. At IOWA, Lickliter is just not getting it done, plain and simple. I don't care anymore what he did at Butler, or what he would do after he is done at Iowa, IF he gets another coaching job. It's IOWA he has to win at, and if he can't do it, we need to move on.

Beginning of the season, few people thought we would win more than a couple of Big Ten games.

Lick has exceeded expectations. He'll be back.

I wonder if Barta would ever cut Lick's salary to like 1/10th of what he gets paid until he has a winning season. Not that Lick necessarily needs any incentive to win (fighting for his job, which is already hanging by a thread, seems it would be enough), but just to mitigate some of the ire of the fans who, like I do, want to see Lick gone.

I guess Barta could never do that because of Iowa's contractual obligation to Lick...why oh why did Barta extend Lick's contract after no visible progress?!

Another question: what has Lick accomplished that any other coach, picked at random from all college and even high-school coaches, couldn't or wouldn't have accomplished? Wins? Recruiting? Fan base?

I get this really sick feeling Iowa basketball is starting to look an awful lot like pre-Rhoads Iowa State football:

Coaching Graveyard.
Dead End.
Can't Win There.
Conference Cellar.
Resume-Killer.
Losing Proposition.
Bad News.
All Stairs Go Down.
(insert your own label)

I get this really sick feeling Iowa basketball is starting to look an awful lot like pre-Rhoads Iowa State football:

Coaching Graveyard.
Dead End.
Can't Win There.
Conference Cellar.
Resume-Killer.
Losing Proposition.
Bad News.
All Stairs Go Down.
(insert your own label)

Except there is one pretty important difference - Iowa basketball has a history of winning, whereas Iowa State has a history of being awful

I highly doubt Barta makes a change after this season

Would agree.... but it sure sounds like there are some serious issues if alumni and past players are distancing themselves from the program as you seemed to indicate this morning on your radio show. Couple that with your comment about hearing that Coach L. doesn't seem to have much of a relationship with his players all adds up to very concerning issues.

Couple questions.......

* Some think player defections would more likely cause Barta to make a change but would we not still face the same financial hurdle when it comes to buying out any remaining contract with our coach?

* Do you think if Pollard were to exercise a change in Ames this year that this would have any bearing on how things might play out in IC?

Don't forget that his contract calls for an extension talk at the end of this year. Have to go with 100%. I'm going back to bed now.

Latest posts