CHA will it be rocking?

blkngldFRO

So I have seen in the past how everyone blames the blue hairs for a lack luster CHA experience. I have been to some good wins in the past year. I recall a win against Indiana and Michigan, and it was like watching a tennis match. Iowa gets a basket everyone claps then sits back down. It was NOT just the blue hairs that were sitting when the team needed a boost. I have to agree with my Dad when he says that ISU BB fans are smarter fans, and understanding how to make their home court an advantage. I was there for the Iowa game and it was nuts. I have never seen CHA like that even back in Mr. Davis years.

What do you think can be done at CHA to help with the atmosphere?

I really hope to see a fan base that is more invested in the game, are rowdy, and loud form here on out.

So I have seen in the past how everyone blames the blue hairs for a lack luster CHA experience. I have been to some good wins in the past year. I recall a win against Indiana and Michigan, and it was like watching a tennis match. Iowa gets a basket everyone claps then sits back down. It was NOT just the blue hairs that were sitting when the team needed a boost. I have to agree with my Dad when he says that ISU BB fans are smarter fans, and understanding how to make their home court an advantage. I was there for the Iowa game and it was nuts. I have never seen CHA like that even back in Mr. Davis years.

What do you think can be done at CHA to help with the atmosphere?

I really hope to see a fan base that is more invested in the game, are rowdy, and loud form here on out.

Iowa Fans are not great. However, Iowa State fans are awful. They Booooo at EVERYTHING. Every single foul is a boo. Every shot of theirs blocked is a booo. etc. etc. Boooo boooo boooooo. I remember watching a KU v ISU game and the fans were booing the refs after fouls at the end of the game when ISU was trying to foul. They are not intelligent, they are cry babies.

Been through this over and over, but it is cool if you want to discuss it again. But you have to get the students out from behind the basket and it will never happen. It is an older crowd that are season ticket holders and sitting in the best seats. The fans that used to have the old Fieldhouse rocking are now old and Iowa lost a good deal of younger fans from the Alford years through the Lick years. The younger fans that do go to the game are all stuck at the top of the arena and in the corners where we can scream and hollar all we want but no one will hear us.

Iowa Fans are not great. However, Iowa State fans are awful. They Booooo at EVERYTHING. Every single foul is a boo. Every shot of theirs blocked is a booo. etc. etc. Boooo boooo boooooo. I remember watching a KU v ISU game and the fans were booing the refs after fouls at the end of the game when ISU was trying to foul. They are not intelligent, they are cry babies.

I will agree with the over booooing. It was so bad during the Kansas game that an announcer even commented on the fans booing the ball going out of bounds.

have to disagree, I wish ours fans were half as vocal

have to disagree, I wish ours fans were half as vocal

We could use even a couple of vocal fans sitting towards the front that is not afraid to jaw at the refs and will turn and wave their arms in the air to try and get people into the game.

Been through this over and over, but it is cool if you want to discuss it again. But you have to get the students out from behind the basket and it will never happen. It is an older crowd that are season ticket holders and sitting in the best seats. The fans that used to have the old Fieldhouse rocking are now old and Iowa lost a good deal of younger fans from the Alford years through the Lick years. The younger fans that do go to the game are all stuck at the top of the arena and in the corners where we can scream and hollar all we want but no one will hear us.

see this is what i dont understand at ISU the students are on the side just like at iowa so whats the difference?

you said they were awful, this I disagree with. So they boo a lot, big deal. They are very vocal and help their team.

Iowa fans don't really cheer unless they are given a reason to. If Iowa is on a run (or they make a series of plays in a row) but they won't go out of their way to cheer to rally a team. That is, unless they are in the midst of a great season. Then Iowa home venues are tough to play in.

I think it's going to be!!! Remeber this is Fran's return and the students are back now and we're in the middle of contending for a Big 10 title. I think it will be rocking all year.

Today the student section was sent an email signed by Gary Barta and Fran McCaffery asking they refrain from chanting the word "sucks" during the opponents introduction.

It is nice to have good sportsmanship, I applaud this change as I was never a fan and never chanted along, as it does nothing.

They go on to say that they want CHA to be "THE loudest venue in the Big Ten and to be known by our opponents as THE toughest road game on their schedule", well if they want this then it is absolutely necessary to have the students closer to the court than the rafters of 4 sections behind the basket.

see this is what i dont understand at ISU the students are on the side just like at iowa so whats the difference?

Have you seen the seeting?

Which do you think makes more noise:

This:
87448f83a3de93ff9eb6ed8fc09cadfd.jpg

Or this:

7299437-LAS-IOWA-VS-WISCONSIN-MBB-02_23_2012-19.49.36-1024x638.jpg

You ever noticed how far back the student section is from the basket?

Team.jpg

The students at the Fieldhouse were never court side. We sat in the upper balcony including the pep band. We stomped on those old metal bleachers and screamed until you could not here the person next to you. Quit making excuses and start yelling your guts out.

Sunday 12:00 game time is a tough start to begin with. Not conducive to craziness.

Even so, some things need to be tweeked with the CHA crowds. Don't know what, but sumptin.

We're any of you at the Notre Dam,e game? How about the NIT games last year? Crowd was kick butt! I don't really think the location of the student section is that bad. When they get going the noise level is incredible. The distance from the court is actually a plus. It allos the cheerleaders and the dance team to interact with the student section. That would not be the case if the students were spread around the court...just not room. Bottom line? If we keep going I the direction we are, the noise level in CHA will be outstanding. The minna game will be rock in'!

it was like watching a tennis match. Iowa gets a basket everyone claps then sits back down.

Because of associations with ISU and the Big Ten many of you think this sounds pitiful. I might have a different perspective from living in SEC country, where a tennis crowd is the absolute ceiling. Tennessee is a borderline tournament team and their fans will only stand up if they are throwing out free t-shirts during media timeouts. Most games it's closer to a library than a tennis match, and they're still probably above average in the SEC. That's not to say Carver should settle for being 9th loudest in the conference or whatever, just to let you know it could be much worse.

I have a feeling it will be rocking on Sunday. Right after a big win on the road, with a rival coming to town it should be electric.

Latest posts