CFB Heading Towards Selection Committee?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
On Monday, the Big Ten sent out smoke signals that it would be OK with a selection committee to choose the best four teams in college football and have a four team playoff.

A selection committee seems like the most fair way to pick the best four teams. It's better than a conference champions only requirement, because there will be years where two teams from the same league are among the top four teams. Last year was likely such a year with LSU and Alabama from the SEC and 2006 was likely such a year with Ohio State and Michigan from the Big Ten.

I think this is also bad news for Boise State...which is fine by me because I am not a fan of all the run they have gotten in recent years because they just don't play the type of week in, week out heavy hitting schedule like you see in most of the leagues.

Here is what the best four teams might have looked like in recent years, following the regular season, in my opinion. I will include the Top Six of the final BCS poll of each year and then pick four teams.

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma State
4. Stanford
5. Oregon
6. Arkansas

LSU and Alabama would have made the field, as would have Oregon, who smoked Stanford on the field. I think you throw in Oklahoma State in there, too. Not too much debate would have ensued with those four teams.

1. Auburn
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Stanford
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State

Auburn and Oregon were no brainers here. I would have included Stanford as well, as it was just a dominant season for the most part for The Cardinal in Jim Harbaugh's last season as their head coach. The last spot? It would have created debate and I suspect a committee would have gone with TCU as they were 12-0. I would have gone with Wisconsin, a team who ended that season on an historic tear and looked as good as anyone in the nation. I realize that TCU beat them in the Rose Bowl, but we aren't talking about that; this is about the best teams at the end of the regular season. TCU had an impressive 47-7 win against Utah late in that season and the Utes were ranked #5 at that time. Ohio State was also 11-1 but they were not as impressive as Wisconsin in my opinion.

1. Alabama
2. Texas
3. Cincinnati
4. TCU
5. Florida
6. Boise State

Alabama and Texas are again easy picks here as they were both 13-0, but then things get crazy. Cincinnati, TCU and Boise State had perfect records and Florida was 12-1. I think Florida would have gotten one of the final two spots and then Cincinnati with the fourth slot in Brian Kelly's last year as coach. They did some remarkable things that year, including a change at quarterback at halftime in one game due to injury, and running vastly different plays in the second half without skipping a beat. Once again, Boise State gets left behind.

1. Oklahoma
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Alabama
5. USC
6. Utah

Oklahoma and Florida played for the title that year and would make this list. I suspect it would have probably gone to order with Texas and Alabama rounding out the top four. No room for a 'buster' here, even with Utah sitting there at 12-0.

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Virginia Tech
4. Oklahoma
5. Georgia
6. Missouri

Not as easy as it looks. Ohio State was the lone one-loss team with the other five all having two losses. But Missouri is out as they lost to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. I think its a safe pick to go conference champs here and stay 1-2-3-4.

1. Ohio State
2. Florida
3. Michigan
4. LSU
5. USC
6. Louisville

Easy pickings 1-2-3. Michigan lost by three to Ohio State in a 1 v 2 end of season game that was a shootout. I felt they were the best two teams in the nation but I am probably biased there. Florida won the SEC, so they are in. Then it comes down to 10-2 LSU and 10-2 USC. The Trojans won their league...I think in a selection committee set up, that is going to factor into the mix quite a bit.

One more here, skipping down to 2002:

1. Miami
2. Ohio State
3. Georgia
4. USC
5. Iowa
6. Washington State

Miami and Ohio State were undefeated, so they make it. Georgia was 12-1 and won the SEC and I would put them in, too. However, USC was 10-2 and Iowa 11-1. Iowa rolled through their final six games like a hot knife through butter and ended the regular season on a nine-game winning streak. USC ended that year on a seven game win streak. Iowa might have gotten the nod here with a selection committee due to their perfect 8-0 record in the Big Ten.

One name you haven't seen is Notre Dame. In 2005, they were 6th in the final BCS poll but would not have been in the final Top Four. That was their highest ever finish in the final BCS poll during the BCS era.

The Irish have played Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, USC and Boston College every year for the last several years and/or a long time. Their contract with Michigan has been reduced to three-year deals and then reevaluation.

The first thing they have to do is get back to being relevant in college football, because they are not relevant right now and haven't been for some time. If they go 11-1 against the teams they presently have on their schedule, they'll have a shot at getting into this mix...but that is true for most teams in a major conference with a similar record. Will there be additional pressure on them to join a major conference with a selection committee style final four?

I think the answer to that is no...UNTIL they begin to have a hard time scheduling. If a Michigan decided to no longer play Notre Dame in the non-conference, they have a problem. Will a Final Four playoff scenario encourage teams to soften up the out of conference schedule or will the non-conference strength of schedule become a valuable factor for teams 'on the bubble'?

One more Notre Dame thought...if college football moves to a Final Four and a selection committee, it's going to change the entire landscape of the bowl system...no more automatics and fewer traditional tie ins as we have come to know. This will help Notre Dame because of their TV draw and be more of a reversion to what the bowl system used to be like...at least that is my thought, which only emboldens Notre Dame's position to remain independent...until they lose scheduling partners.

All are important questions that will be difficult to answer until we operate under the system. That said, I think it's also a safe bet that Boise State will continue to have a tough time crashing the party even if it's expanded to a Final Four and with a selection committee.

All are important questions that will be difficult to answer until we operate under the system. That said, I think it's also a safe bet that Boise State will continue to have a tough time crashing the party even if it's expanded to a Final Four and with a selection committee.

And rightfully so, this again gets back to what I see as the underlying problem that needs addressed before any kind of playoff solution is in place. You simply can't put in a fair system based on a 12 game schedule with 119 teams. The BCS conferences need further segregation from the other conferences in the national title hunt.

Since 1999 Boise State is 11-12 against BCS opponents and 8-10 against ranked opponents. There Cinderella win against Oklahoma is forever remembered, and the average fun I talk to doesn't even recall the embarrassing bowl loss to E. Carolina.

In fairness, the past 5 year stretch is much stronger. 6-1 against BCS opponents and 6-4 against ranked opponents.

I am not trying to overly diminish what they do because regardless of how you slice it they're an impressive team that you have to respect. I just think they get unfairly over-hyped when you take all the facts into consideration.

This will pretty much just guarantee the SEC gets two in every year.

And most likely deservedly so. The B10 has sucked for several years. They haven't deserved a seat at the final table. This isn't little league. Get the best 4 teams in regardless of conference.

all due respect im sick of the bsu doesnt play a rough schedule argument. there isnt a power conference team in america that will take a home and home w boise. in part due to revenue, but in bigger part because they want none of them on the field. im not sure what more boise must do on the field to show they belong, and its evident on draft day they have top teir talent on the roster.

all due respect im sick of the bsu doesnt play a rough schedule argument. there isnt a power conference team in america that will take a home and home w boise. in part due to revenue, but in bigger part because they want none of them on the field. im not sure what more boise must do on the field to show they belong, and its evident on draft day they have top teir talent on the roster.

I may be wrong on this but doesnt BSU always play their marquee game of the year on opening weekend?

They get all offseason to prepare for their toughest game on the schedule and they can pretty much skate by the rest of the year.

And most likely deservedly so. The B10 has sucked for several years. They haven't deserved a seat at the final table. This isn't little league. Get the best 4 teams in regardless of conference.

So you're ok with crowning a national champion who can't even win their own conference? I'm not, but that's just me. I think the 4 power conference champions should play it off. Conference play should still mean something.

There is no reason to award Boise State a home and home. The BCS team has everything to lose. If Boise State loses at home or on the road to a BCS school they have the entire rest of their schedule to cover it up. Meanwhile, said BCS school actually has a lineup full of BCS opponents to plow through.

This will pretty much just guarantee the SEC gets two in every year.

If they have 2 among the top 4 teams, then they deserve it. There will come a day in the not too distant future where the SEC doesn't have a single team in this 4 team playoff. You only have to go back to 2005 to find a time when this would have been true. They are on a good roll right now, but it will not last forever.

With Boise State's move to the Big East, they have a better shot of getting in the top 4 if they go undefeated. I know the Big East is not a great conference but it's a lot tougher to go to South Florida, Louisville and Rutgers than it was to go to San Jose State, Utah State and Idaho.

So you're ok with crowning a national champion who can't even win their own conference? I'm not, but that's just me. I think the 4 power conference champions should play it off. Conference play should still mean something.

Absolutely. Conference stuff is overrated. If a team has a resume that gets them as a top 4 team despite losing to a higher ranked in conference opponent then they earned it. You could make a very easy argument that the top 3 teams in the SEC have been better than the top team in the B10 many of the last few years.

Since 1999 Boise State is 11-12 against BCS opponents and 8-10 against ranked opponents.

Numbers are your friend, fluff.

It will still mean something. It means you can call yourself a conference champ.

And what happens if an 8-4 Iowa beats an 11-1 Ohio State in the B1G Title Game?

Top 4 teams, regardless of conference is the only way to do this.

Absolutely. Conference stuff is overrated. If a team has a resume that gets them as a top 4 team despite losing to a higher ranked in conference opponent then they earned it. You could make a very easy argument that the top 3 teams in the SEC have been better than the top team in the B10 many of the last few years.

Then why have conferences at all?

I may be wrong on this but doesnt BSU always play their marquee game of the year on opening weekend?

They get all offseason to prepare for their toughest game on the schedule and they can pretty much skate by the rest of the year.

By and large most of these opponents have been in the first week or two because that is when the BCS schools have openings. I'd say without looking that most of the time it's week two, but I would have to look.

It will still mean something. It means you can call yourself a conference champ.

And what happens if an 8-4 Iowa beats an 11-1 Ohio State in the B1G Title Game?

Top 4 teams, regardless of conference is the only way to do this.

Then they have proven on the field that they deserve a shot at the title.

Then they have proven on the field that they deserve a shot at the title.

haha, that is ridiculous.

How has that 4 loss team proved on the field that they are deserving of a shot at the title? Because they upset a team in the conference championship game?

I really really hate this idea! You start with 4, then go to 6, 8, and eventually 16.

What is so damn difficult in putting in a Plus 1 BCS system? Bowl system stays in tact, an additional huge revenue game, and a fair way to determine on the playing field who the top 2 teams are.

I really really hate this idea! You start with 4, then go to 6, 8, and eventually 16.

What is so damn difficult in putting in a Plus 1 BCS system? Bowl system stays in tact, an additional huge revenue game, and a fair way to determine on the playing field who the top 2 teams are.

Let's hope so!

Latest posts