CFB Heading Towards Selection Committee?

My thoughts on this.....

Why does it have to be one way or the other (conference champions vs. best teams)? There's an easy solution to this. Instead of a 4 team playoff, you make it a 6 team playoff.

You take the conference champions from the Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12 and SEC plus 2 wildcard teams. The top 2 rated teams get a bye and the other 4 play the games at the higher rated teams' home stadium. The winners of those two games get matched up against the Top 2 teams, with the games played at the home stadiums of the Top 2 teams. The final game would be played at a neutral site (could be rotated between different sites each year).

Why not just have four wildcard teams? Pick the best four teams in the country. Also, they're never going to play at home sites.

Tournaments are great! Football teams should play indoors on wooden courts and throw balls into baskets! Let's change everything! Get this done!

Honest question DT. Can you offer any real insight in your posts when you disagree with something? Just wondering.

Say that iowa has an undefeated year soon, but so does 4 other teams, with the selection commitee, iowa is screwed. I can see a ton of deserving teams getting the shaft, nd only the most prestigious teams getting in, ex. USC, BAMA, TEXAS, MICH, OHIO ST. Just to name a few

Say that iowa has an undefeated year soon, but so does 4 other teams, with the selection commitee, iowa is screwed. I can see a ton of deserving teams getting the shaft, nd only the most prestigious teams getting in, ex. USC, BAMA, TEXAS, MICH, OHIO ST. Just to name a few

Would never happen. An undefeated team from the B1G would never be left out of any 4 team tournament.

Easy way to fix everything.

Have leagues that go to 16 teams have 2 rounds of in-conference playoffs.

That way those conferences have 4 teams that have an equal chance to get into a playoff.

For instance, let's say Wisconsin beats Michigan and OSU in the playoffs. You think they don't get into a playoff?

Plus, what league could argue that their fifth place team deserves a shot at the playoffs?

Finally, you think a Boise team that beats Cincinnati and UCONN would get in over a Wisky team that beat Michigan and OSU at the end of the year?

If a conference doesn't go to 16 teams, they just run the risk of a second place team being left out because the conference champion from another conference would have more significant late season victories.

Now, if you had a team that couldn't even make it into a four team in-conference playoff, then it would be very hard to argue that they deserved to be in the national championship playoff. Plus, if you had a team that only played 12 games, it would be hard to choose them over a team that played 14.

Last edited:
You babies who keep crying about Notre Dame as irrelevant, and then ***** and moan about them every time conference expansion/playoffs get brought up. Let's face it, B1G is Notre Dame only in conference form. Their both very popular, have great tradition, and have been "irrelevant" in college football for a while now in the eyes of many. Iowa fans have the weirdest sense of belonging when it comes to picking fights with traditional powerhouses, see ND, Neb, Mich, OSU, etc.

I realize Iowa is a powerhouse school and deserves to talk crap, only it should be kept in the wrestling forum.

This is the wrong path to head down. I look at high school football playoffs that have expanded to the point where a 5-4 record gets them in...does anyone think that attention on that sport has waned? Or the Indiana State BB tournament once it expanded to more classes? Never been the same. The same dilutive effect would encroach in college football's greatest asset..the regular season....if you go down this path.

If we had the 4 team playoff in place the last 7 years,as Jon illustrates, the Big Ten might play the Pac 12 in the Rose Bowl 2 or maybe 3 times over that period...does anyone not think that the luster of the #2 bowl event(behind only the national title game) would be off the Rose Bowl if it had an SEC vs Big 12 teams in it 5 of the last 7 years? Tradition? Forget it. And even tho some fans,and media guys think tradition is a meaningless stupid anachronism,they do not understand how important it is to maintaining the popularity of this sport. College football is all about tradition,sentiment,and nostaglia to some extent. NFL franchises that have tradition,like the Bears and Packers flourish, while the Jacksonville Jags fall flat.
But, tradition can be destroyed....like in college bb, it is being eroded by the emphasis on the NCAA tourny above all else. Conference titles are considered meaningless by many now. That is the future of college football if they go down this path. When conference football games become no more important than the Pitt non-conference game, then why bother with the regular season games at all?

The Big Ten Presidents and AD's know all about the real money to their schools,from aged wealthy alums,who still do care about tradition. They know that they destroy the conference traditions for a quick buck in a tourny is a path fraught with danger. That is why they advocate for the ''Plus One'' option for the next ten years. Stick to tradition,play in the Rose Bowl vs the Pac 12 every year, then take your chances with the committee to make the Big Game. In the end, maybe the Big Ten only gets in there once every 6 years...so what? It is pretty unlikely that two SEC teams would be picked very often...but if they did,fine...they play with a different set of rules anyway,so their edge is expected. Give me the Rose Bowl matchup every single year with Big Ten champ vs Pac 12 champ and I am happy...we have the #2 game every single year,with the occasional #1 game also...fine.

You babies who keep crying about Notre Dame as irrelevant, and then ***** and moan about them every time conference expansion/playoffs get brought up. Let's face it, B1G is Notre Dame only in conference form. Their both very popular, have great tradition, and have been "irrelevant" in college football for a while now in the eyes of many. Iowa fans have the weirdest sense of belonging when it comes to picking fights with traditional powerhouses, see ND, Neb, Mich, OSU, etc.

I realize Iowa is a powerhouse school and deserves to talk crap, only it should be kept in the wrestling forum.

Who's picking fights with any if those schools?

Then how does college basketball do it with a 68 team tournament out of 330+ D1 teams.

68/330 is 20.6% of the D1 basketball teams making the NCAA tourney field.

16/119 is 13.4% of FBS teams making this mythical football tourney.

It can work. You just love your Poinsetta Bowl too much hogger.

If you're looking for a more apples to apples comparison 12/32 is a nice format. That's what the NFL does with 32 games on a 16 game schedule. Comparing to basketball is ridiculous for a number of reasons and no 16/119 on a 12 game schedule isn't a solution.

If you're looking for a more apples to apples comparison 12/32 is a nice format. That's what the NFL does with 32 games on a 16 game schedule. Comparing to basketball is ridiculous for a number of reasons and no 16/119 on a 12 game schedule isn't a solution.

Sure it is. Because in all honesty, you could narrow it down to about 32 teams each year that have a legit shot at making the 16 team tournament. All the other teams are just filler to play the regular season games.

Also- you never addressed your love for the Poinsetta Bowl.

Sure it is. Because in all honesty, you could narrow it down to about 32 teams each year that have a legit shot at making the 16 team tournament. All the other teams are just filler to play the regular season games.

I prefer the Meineke Car Care Who Let the Dogs Out bowl personally.

There is no Poinsetta Bowl.

The Bowl System is what has made college football different from all the other sports and other levels of football. By going to a playoff system you are getting away from what has made the sport so successful. If I want to watch college football playoffs then I will watch UNI or Wartburg. I enjoy the bowl system where teams from different conferences play each other, usually in a vacation spot. Maybe I could care less who won the Poinsettia Bowl but I did care who won the Insight Bowl and I enjoy watching the other B1G schools. You go to a playoff system and it will ruin the bowl system. Like I said earlier you go to a 4 team playoff then it won't be fair to the 5th place team, so on and so forth until you get a huge playoff system. Stick with the BCS and go to a plus one, everything else stays in tact and you keep college football unique.

Let's hope so!

Hoping for the end of what makes college football so unique and special.

The Bowl System is what has made college football different from all the other sports and other levels of football. By going to a playoff system you are getting away from what has made the sport so successful. If I want to watch college football playoffs then I will watch UNI or Wartburg. I enjoy the bowl system where teams from different conferences play each other, usually in a vacation spot. Maybe I could care less who won the Poinsettia Bowl but I did care who won the Insight Bowl and I enjoy watching the other B1G schools. You go to a playoff system and it will ruin the bowl system. Like I said earlier you go to a 4 team playoff then it won't be fair to the 5th place team, so on and so forth until you get a huge playoff system. Stick with the BCS and go to a plus one, everything else stays in tact and you keep college football unique.

Exactly.

Last edited:
Selection committe should be fine, but there has to be some more emphasis on strength of schedule, and less emphasis on human polls. And I don't think any teams outside the top 6 should qualify, and no more than 2 per conference.

There has to be a better formula put in place if they go stricktly by rankings. AND THE FORMULA NEEDS TO BE PUBLIC!!

There you go,making sense. Sometimes more is not better. I like bowl season. I just wish the Big Ten bowls were spaced out so I could watch them all...that is one thing about the BTN...I have become more familiar and enjoy following the other schools in the league more than ever.

Go Hawks!

Latest posts