Cavs offer Izzo

The only way for Lebron to get top dollar is to sign with the Cavs. All other offers must be less based on some collective bargaining agreement. Therefore everything that the Cavs do at this point is to either keep Lebron or run damage control should he leave. You get a name like Izzo and to me that means Lebron isn't sticking around and the Cavs are running damage control unless there is some hidden relationship between Lebron and Izzo (which I doubt).

I think if Izzo takes this,it means that Lebron has assured him that he will sign at least a 3 year deal. Again,that gives Izzo 3 years to win a title with Lebron. If not, then Lebron will move on and worse case for Izzo is 30 million in the bank for 3-5 years work. Lifetime wealth,with a great chance to win a title? No brainer.

I don't know how NBA coaches do it. The coach has no leverage to make a player do what the coach wants. I think most college coaches have a hard time adjusting to a different player/coach dynamic. I would have a hard time working in that kind of environment. The cash would be nice though.

If Izzo goes, and with all this conference realignment talk, do you think we see Bill Self coaching at MSU next year?

I think if Izzo takes this,it means that Lebron has assured him that he will sign at least a 3 year deal. Again,that gives Izzo 3 years to win a title with Lebron. If not, then Lebron will move on and worse case for Izzo is 30 million in the bank for 3-5 years work. Lifetime wealth,with a great chance to win a title? No brainer.

If LeBron stays and Izzo doesn't win a title in his first two years, he won't be back for a third. I could see LeBron and Izzo not working out and Izzo being fired midseason during his first year, the Cavs need to win now. They just fired a coach who had went 127-37 in the last two years, they're not going to be patient with him.

The real question is: Will the Big Ten allow the incoming players to transfer to another Big Ten school without penalty????? Hmmmmmmm.

He makes $3 MILLION a year as it is and is the king of his own kingdom....goodness gracious...how much more 'happiness' will an extra $2 mil per year bring?

He makes $3 MILLION a year as it is and is the king of his own kingdom....goodness gracious...how much more 'happiness' will an extra $2 mil per year bring?

I am not a millionaire or even close, but get to interact with a few in my job. What I have come to understand about people that have made it to that level is that it is not all about the $$$ and being king. It is more about the challenges in front of them. Usually it takes a different skill set/person to build an empire than to maintain it.

Now I don't think Izzo should take the Cavs job (don't know if he will or not). There is very little upside there other than an extra $2M. Without Lebron, very little chance to win. With Lebron and they do not win the NBA Champ, then big failure. With Lebron and they do win one or two, he met expectations. I think the only way Izzo's legacy is significantly improved than it is now is if he and Lebron win 3 or more.

Are you serious? What difference does $2 million make? You have to freaking ask?

No one is too rich to take an extra $2 million a year.

I'm going to guarantee Izzo stays. I know he's a standup guy, but why else would he come right out and make it public that he's going to talk with the Cavs?.......maybe a new deal. I just don't see it. NBA is like WWE...it's so different from the college game. Izzo isn't one those ego driven, shady scumbags that hop from the NCAA to NBA. He'll stay.

(I think Izzo and KF must have the same agent :)

Izzo would double his salary...going from 3 million to 6 million/yr...and have a guaranteed 30 million going into his bank account whether he wins or loses.

I think he is gone. I immediately thought of Mark Montgomery as his logical successor,as I liked him for the Iowa job,but these guys think Brian Gregory,another Iowa candidate, as the likely pick. Makes sense,and would make Gregory look prescient turning down other job offers. Did Izzo clue him in.

Also, have to laugh as this guy mentions Brad Stevens of Butler being careful not to make the mistake that Lick made in going to Iowa....right,like that was on Iowa...was it a mistake? yes, but Iowa is the one that made the mistake,and Lick is counting his 6.8 million for 3 years work. Goodbye Tommy Izzo, time for MSU to take a step back,opening up a slot above for Iowa...go Frannie!!

Personally I want Izzo to stay as I think he is top notch and great for the Big Ten. If he leaves I don't think MSU hands over a Top 5 program to an assistant...just my opinion. I believe they will go fishing in the big boy pond and look to get someone like Buzz Williams or Bruce Pearl.

My prediction:

Izzo takes the Cavs job and Bill Self bails to avoid being shipped somewhere he does not want to be and becomes the next Michigan State basketball coach.

Izzy has to go and get his money. No way he stays at MSU. What else does he have to prove there?

exactly...unfortunatly for the Big Ten...Izzo is gone...would you stay?? I think he probably sees this as his payday...if he loses every game and is fired...he'll still bank 30 million. THEN some college would step in and give him probably close to a million to start coaching again...he does that for a couple years and then calls it quits.

Are you serious? What difference does $2 million make? You have to freaking ask?

No one is too rich to take an extra $2 million a year.

Especially when you 'only' make $3M. Not to mention is is $2M per year over 5-6 years, reportedly. That is $10-12M total. Also, it is the equivalent to a guy making $60,000 a year getting an offer from another job for $100,000 a year. Would you guys say no to that? I would not.

The question is....has Bo Ryan started calling Keith Appling (#38) or Adrieane Payne(#20)...top MSU commits for 2010 ? I presume he has...altho he would have to dump Brust and another commit to pull them in.

I hope Frannie is on the horn to all the MSU recruits...laying the groundwork,now that the Brust-Rule is in play...welcome to the new Big Ten where all bets are off,and it is every program for itself...Iowa was recruiting JR Byrd before he committed to MSU also...go for it,Fran. Bo has turned Big Ten bb into the wild,wild west...way to go,Bo.

Latest posts