Carton Is A Buckeye

And that's all I was saying. I even acknowledged it was probably ignorance. It's not like I was being intolerant towards Carton or others with that problem. I've even had a good friend kill themself. I'm not blind to the fact that people can get in a really bad place. I just cant comprehend how people can't pull themselves out of it because I am fortunate enough to be able to. I think the "stupid troll" comment was unwarranted.

Think about it this way:

Somebody develops coronary artery disease (plaques start to build up in the arteries feeding the heart). All of a sudden, they start getting chest pain when they walk up stairs. They go to the doctor, doc explains that their arteries are getting clogged, their heart is not getting enough oxygen, and that is a problem.

How come the patient can't just "fight through" this problem? Well, there is cellular dysfunction taking place in the walls of the vessel, and no amount of "want to" is going to fix it. There will have to be medical intervention.

________________________________________________________________________________

Now a different person goes through something traumatic. Secondary to this, there is a change in neuron-release of certain neurotransmitters and neuromodulators. These changes set off a complex cascade of events that leads to permanent changes in the systems controlled by these chemicals. Now, things that used to be pleasurable just feel dull. Things that used to cause no anxiety are paralyzing. You try to just "be happy", but that doesn't work, and that creates more anxiety because you have never been through something like this before, and now you wonder if this will just be the way you feel the rest of your life. That feels soul-crushing, and how you think, "Would I just be better off dead?"

How come the patient can't just "fight through" this problem? Well, there is cellular dysfunction taking place within the neurons of the brain, and no amount of "want to" is going to fix it. The only difference in this second scenario is that the symptoms involves our feelings, which we have always ascribed to things that transcend our body, instead of pain, which we consider to be of the body. But that is just a silly construct that we have created, feeling/thoughts are no less rooted in physiology than blood flow, oxygen delivery, and pain.

Hey I get that people are like that. All I said was it's crazy to me. I couldn't imagine having such depression that I couldn't push through for 6 more weeks. I feel bad for him. I really do. But there is nothing wrong with me saying it's crazy to me that people can't push through.

Have you heard of seasonal affective disorder? Just the low levels of sunlight and longer darkness make some people very moody, irritated or even very depressed which usually means lethargy and not wanting to do things or having fun in life.

And isn't it interesting that when the disease Ricketts with soft bone problems, which is mainly caused by not enough Vitamin D [and low Vitamin D production in the body is coupled with not getting enough full spectrum sunlight or light], was making a comeback in populations that a study showed that elevating these patients' Vitamin D levels helped cure or lessen the Ricketts problem. But as a secondary discovery the patients reported their mood feeling much better and happier, etc.

So something as simple as Vitamin D levels in our diet and getting enough sunshine can lead to depressed moods, the winter Blahs, etc. This player felt he needed a longer time to get better.

Great post Rob. It's believed that 1 in 4 American's suffer from a diagnosable mental illness to some extent or another during the course of their lifetimes. IMO we need more athletes coming forward like DJ to help change the stigma. While some of us may be fortunate enough to never experience this first hand, it's definitely real and most likely affecting a friend or family member. Society has a way of praising players that are "mentally tough" and can play through a physical injury, yet in most instances a player is labeled "soft" or criticized when they're suffering mentally.

Sorry I work in the mental health field and see how this affects people every day. We need more heroes brave enough to share their struggles publicly like DJ did to help curve this trend. It's a shame when that people with mental illnesses aren't looked at in the same light as say someone with cancer or a heart condition.

Rant over.

Question for you since you work in mental heath: does it ever feel like we are going to look back at social media's impact on mental health the same way we look back at DDT's impact on birth defects?

Sometimes I think we will look back on this era from the future and wonder how we could have been so ignorant to the unintended mental health consequences of our changing social interactions.

Question for you since you work in mental heath: does it ever feel like we are going to look back at social media's impact on mental health the same way we look back at DDT's impact on birth defects?

Sometimes I think we will look back on this era from the future and wonder how we could have been so ignorant to the unintended mental health consequences of our changing social interactions.

I'm involved on the court side as opposed to the clinical side so strictly based on observation with no research or in-depth studies other than what I've observed or read, I'm not sure how to answer that. While I definitely feel that social media definitely has addictive properties and can create an environment where you simply can't "mentally escape" from things, I think what fascinates/concerns me the most is the unpredictability of it all. How two people could experience similar life experiences (good or bad) and trauma throughout the course of their lives, but end up processing those events completely different to the extent that one person can be come completely healthy, yet the other individual develops a chronic mental illness that prevents them from ever living that same life. Or the fact that a person can be what they'd consider "fine" their entire life and then suddenly have it all change in the blink of eye where physically they are no different then they were before, but mentally every aspect of their life instantly changes and rendering them unable to ever function the way they once did.

It's a great question and honestly one that scares the hell out of me, knowing that it can and does happen to anyone.

EPgF8anVAAEx6qe

Think about it this way:

Somebody develops coronary artery disease (plaques start to build up in the arteries feeding the heart). All of a sudden, they start getting chest pain when they walk up stairs. They go to the doctor, doc explains that their arteries are getting clogged, their heart is not getting enough oxygen, and that is a problem.

How come the patient can't just "fight through" this problem? Well, there is cellular dysfunction taking place in the walls of the vessel, and no amount of "want to" is going to fix it. There will have to be medical intervention.

________________________________________________________________________________

Now a different person goes through something traumatic. Secondary to this, there is a change in neuron-release of certain neurotransmitters and neuromodulators. These changes set off a complex cascade of events that leads to permanent changes in the systems controlled by these chemicals. Now, things that used to be pleasurable just feel dull. Things that used to cause no anxiety are paralyzing. You try to just "be happy", but that doesn't work, and that creates more anxiety because you have never been through something like this before, and now you wonder if this will just be the way you feel the rest of your life. That feels soul-crushing, and how you think, "Would I just be better off dead?"

How come the patient can't just "fight through" this problem? Well, there is cellular dysfunction taking place within the neurons of the brain, and no amount of "want to" is going to fix it. The only difference in this second scenario is that the symptoms involves our feelings, which we have always ascribed to things that transcend our body, instead of pain, which we consider to be of the body. But that is just a silly construct that we have created, feeling/thoughts are no less rooted in physiology than blood flow, oxygen delivery, and pain.

On a worse scale, someone who murders someone has something wrong with their brain too. But like Rob said, it's hard to understand for someone who doesn't have those problems. The way I see it is I get depressed too. Some bad shit happens to me, I get down for awhile, then get better. It's hard to comprehend not being able to do that. It's even a little frustrating to see people around you not being able to cope with minor things while you can cope with huge things.

My thing with Carton is (again, probably out of ignorance on the subject) if you've struggled with this for years, then it gets so bad you have to leave something when you know there is only 6 weeks left, it obviously got way worse recently. It makes sense that his knew life is wearing on him and he might want to consider if this is what he wants in life. Which he very well could be doing.

Either way, I appreciate the responses and if someone wants to respond again I'll try to wrap it up quick. This might be boardering on inappropriate discussions here.

This is really good.

Whether people talk to others or not, we can respond to them the same:
give lots of grace and mercy because we never know the inner battles that someone is going through.

A person is not weird or different for holding those inner battles inside either.

Have you heard of seasonal affective disorder? Just the low levels of sunlight and longer darkness make some people very moody, irritated or even very depressed which usually means lethargy and not wanting to do things or having fun in life.

That's me. I hate Jan and Feb. Especially Feb.
Apologies in advance to everyone.

And isn't it interesting that when the disease Ricketts with soft bone problems, which is mainly caused by not enough Vitamin D [and low Vitamin D production in the body is coupled with not getting enough full spectrum sunlight or light], was making a comeback in populations that a study showed that elevating these patients' Vitamin D levels helped cure or lessen the Ricketts problem. But as a secondary discovery the patients reported their mood feeling much better and happier, etc.

So something as simple as Vitamin D levels in our diet and getting enough sunshine can lead to depressed moods, the winter Blahs, etc. This player felt he needed a longer time to get better.

I haven't heard of that. It's cool how much they are learning about the brain. It would be awesome if one day they could come up with a medical procedure to fix the brain for people with depression or uncontrollable rage.

I dont have mental health issues because I'm awesome, so maybe its ignorance on my part, but it's crazy to me that you can't fight through it for a few more weeks. Especially when you're mature enough to admit it to the world. Which I also really respect.

I appreciate your opinions, but having an acute exacerbation of any mental illness is serious and sometimes can't be "fought through." Personally, I think a lot of people take their own experience with feeling sad, and relate that to trying to understand a major mental illness.. It's kind of like being a surgeon after you've dissected mice in high school. Not trying to criticize you, but I do think it's a knowledge deficit.

I really appreciate the amount of understanding and thoughtfulness shown on this board with this topic. It's heartening.

I have worked in mental health most of my adult life, and I currently run three pediatric psychiatric units. I'm really happy people can just openly talk about this and try to understand. Maybe we are improving as a society in this regard after all!

I appreciate your opinions, but having an acute exacerbation of any mental illness is serious and sometimes can't be "fought through." Personally, I think a lot of people take their own experience with feeling sad, and relate that to trying to understand a major mental illness.. It's kind of like being a surgeon after you've dissected mice in high school. Not trying to criticize you, but I do think it's a knowledge deficit.

I really appreciate the amount of understanding and thoughtfulness shown on this board with this topic. It's heartening.

I have worked in mental health most of my adult life, and I currently run three pediatric psychiatric units. I'm really happy people can just openly talk about this and try to understand. Maybe we are improving as a society in this regard after all!

That's exactly right. I "know what it's like to be depressed" and I can handle it. Why can't other people. It's hard bot to think like that when you've never been on the other side of the fence. Another one is "if something in your life depresses you, fix it". Its hard to understand that someone can be depressed for no reason.

That's exactly right. I "know what it's like to be depressed" and I can handle it. Why can't other people. It's hard bot to think like that when you've never been on the other side of the fence. Another one is "if something in your life depresses you, fix it". Its hard to understand that someone can be depressed for no reason.

Yes. And yet, people can be severely depressed for no obvious reason. Some depression is pretty biochemical.. Having said that, sometimes we have no idea what people have been through. Trauma informed care is the approach that you understand that many people have experienced trauma in life that may be affecting them now. But, people can be depressed, regardless of trauma.

It brings to mind the quote "be kind to everyone you meet, for they are fighting a hard battle."

It's impossible to know the inner struggle of others.

That's me. I hate Jan and Feb. Especially Feb.
Apologies in advance to everyone.

Seems like every year when things warm up and the ground is once again visible throughout...I feel this fog lift. Usually, I don't realize it until after...but there's definitely a cabin fever, seasonal disorder, gray scale thing that happens every Winter.

Depressive disorders are like a lot of things...there's no black and white. Some people have a shade of it...some it really hits hard and it's at a biological level...not simply "mental". It needs to be addressed like any other medical condition. The idea of just "toughing it out" isn't an option. We've come along way in understanding and treatment...it's no longer simple perceived as a bad mood or an attitude you can control. Fortunately there are more options and support than ever for folks who need it.

There are some people, my ex for example, where other factors contribute. She had very real issues with depression that needed understanding and support. She also had a shitty, negative attitude that wore thin. Separating the two can be tricky...but there are "choice" or "attitude" components for some people that play a significant role. Much like some disabled people manage to live full, positive lives...and others just give up. As with any life, character and mindset always play a part.

Before someone goes ripping on me...please re-read the above carefully. I am not minimizing the realities of clinical depression. Just commenting that it doesn't exist in a vacuum and with some people, other factors play a significant role.

DJ has done the best thing he could for himself. Spoken up and asked for support and help. I'm sure he'll get it.

Last edited:
At the Bettendorf game tonight ...

So he’s at games, just not his games? I am sure he’s hurting and I’m glad he’s taking a break, it just seems weird to me on the surface that he’s still going to games. Maybe it will help him feel better?

Seems like every year when things warm up and the ground is once again visible throughout...I feel this fog lift. Usually, I don't realize it until after...but there's definitely a cabin fever, seasonal disorder, gray scale thing that happens every Winter.

Depressive disorders are like a lot of things...there's no black and white. Some people have a shade of it...some it really hits hard and it's at a biological level...not simply "mental". It needs to be addressed like any other medical condition. The idea of just "toughing in out" isn't an option. We've come along way in understanding and treatment...it's no longer simple perceived as a bad mood or an attitude you can control. Fortunately there are more options and support than ever for folks who need it.

There are some people, My ex for example, where other factors contribute. She had very real issues with depression that needed understanding and support. She also had a shitty, negative attitude that wore thin. Separating the two can be tricky...but there are "choice" or "attitude" components for some people that play a significant role. Much like some disabled people manage to live full, positive lives...and others just give up. As with any life, character and mindset always play a part.

Before someone goes ripping on me...please re-read the above carefully. I am not minimizing the realities of clinical depression. Just commenting that it doesn't exist in a vacuum and with some people, other factors play a significant role.

DJ has done the best thing he could for himself. Spoken up and asked for support and help. I'm sure he'll get it.
Nope. Good words. Took me a long time to figure out the seasonal disorder.

I can’t figure with my Scandinavian/English ancestry why the heck would gray, short days effect me so much? That should have been weeded out of that DNA with those geographies:confused:

Latest posts