Canzeri??

Canzeri looks great when there's a hole. Weisman is good at getting something out of nothing, first contact rarely brings him down. No coincidence that he's been dinged up the last two years, you can only play battering ram so much.

This one is a real Headscratcher for me. Clearly should have seen the field way before week 10. Speed, burst, vision should I go one, geez...

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Not so fast Monday morning qb!
1. The holes were the size of your prom dates gash (kind of graphic and vulgar but just for fun).
2. The Hebrew hammer has had many many games with yards greater than or equal to this so why now with one game from canzeri do we say he is the man?
3. Canzeri has had attempts before this game and has not did this so it is not that he would have been doing this all year and that the coaches have missed something.

He had a good game, just like the hammer and bullock have both Haden many days. This isn't a case where he's the next heisman candidate that Iowa coaches have failed to identify. It was purdont, the holes were massive, he ran thru them (and yes I did see his spin move where he made a defender miss). Yes he is quicker than wiseman as well (but most college backs are).

This thread is laughable at best.

Canzeri has had quite a few chances to carry the ball so far in his 1+ years of action.

Today is the first glimpse he has given anybody of anything special.

To pin this on KF as being incompetent is idiotic.

This

Please tell me about the all Americans we have setting on the bench that kf won't play because he does not want to win? Also please go into detail with your explanation of how you know these players exist? Kthxbi

For a program that prides itself on running the ball we have not had very many great RBs. Besides that one exquisite year from The War Machine. Should be an easy sell for a top RB recruit, come to Iowa and we will let you run it 25 times a game if you produce.

This thread is laughable at best.

Canzeri has had quite a few chances to carry the ball so far in his 1+ years of action.

Today is the first glimpse he has given anybody of anything special.

To pin this on KF as being incompetent is idiotic.

You must have forgotten to watch the bowl game vs the Sooners....Played pretty well considering certain playmakers didn't make the trip

You must have forgotten to watch the bowl game vs the Sooners....Played pretty well considering certain playmakers didn't make the trip

What are you talking about?

Canzeri's line from the Insight Bowl: 22 carries, 58 yards rushing, 6 receptions, 28 yards receiving.

Coker was the only one to miss that game, IIRC. Hardly should affect Canzeri's rushing numbers if the #1 running back was absent.

The 2010 victory against Mizzou was when DJK and ARob missed the Insight Bowl.

Please explain.

Uh dudes, why are we revisting this topic?

I thought we had decided the running back by committee/putting backs in to specific situations was the way to play em going forward?

Can someone please forward this thread to KirFer?

TIA

Wheel route baby , throw the wheel route. Canzeri was always mentioned as good at catching the ball.

Isn't the wheel route more designed for slot WR and wouldn't it take forever to develop if you are planning on having him run it from the backfield or are you suggestion to line him up as a slot WR or motion him to a slot position which doesn't make much sense to me either. If you're going to do that why not just have the slot WR run the same route. I would hope that our actual WR are better a better option to recieve the ball than a RB.

Wheel routes are mostly run by RB and some TE. Kittle has run the wheel route numerous times this year.

The bubble screen is the slot WR route you are thinking of.

Give me Weisman all day.

No thanks.

Mark hasn't played that well since his injury. I think hes a great short yardage back and a good goaline back but he's not our everydown back.

Personally, I would use Bullock on third downs and spell. I would use Weisman between the 15 yard markers, and Canzeri where else.

Canzeri a great back for our zone blocking.

Dont you see, Stupid dum Ferrutz not playin his best playrs on porpoise cuz he wants to desroy America.

also he keeps calling playes thet don work instead of calling only the plays that work, cmon how hard is that?!

Iddit!

my daugter/niece could do better job

Good stuff! Funny thing some actually think this to be true

Not so fast Monday morning qb!
1. The holes were the size of your prom dates gash (kind of graphic and vulgar but just for fun).
2. The Hebrew hammer has had many many games with yards greater than or equal to this so why now with one game from canzeri do we say he is the man?
3. Canzeri has had attempts before this game and has not did this so it is not that he would have been doing this all year and that the coaches have missed something.

He had a good game, just like the hammer and bullock have both Haden many days. This isn't a case where he's the next heisman candidate that Iowa coaches have failed to identify. It was purdont, the holes were massive, he ran thru them (and yes I did see his spin move where he made a defender miss). Yes he is quicker than wiseman as well (but most college backs are).

The holes were huge yet Weisman still couldn't get anything going. I like power backs but they need another gear. Shonn Greene was that guy. Jermelle Lewis was like that Hampton seemed like he had that. Weisman is a FB that has done well being thrust into the rb role. But he is not a feature back. I don't think canzeri is but he seems to have the best vision and quicks and that is more important. Daniels seems like the only true feature back of the guys we have seen. Malloy and hill I believe were cut from a similar cloth as Daniels but they can't seem to stay healthy enough to get on the field.

canzeri hasn't had many chances...4 games with more than 10 carries (iirc). And one of those was a bowl game after playing very little during the year and not expecting to be the guy until a fluke problem happens.

I agree. Yes Canzeri is our most dynamic runner but he lacks in ball security. There's more to it than just running with the ball.

I agree there is more to it than just running, however, we are really struggling to move the ball. If we have a running back that can cut back behind the zone blocking to the open holes, then we have to play him. Quite frankly going 3 and out because we can't read the blocks running is barely better than making a good run then fumbling. Either way our defense ends up on the field and gassed in the second half. Canzeri and Bullock are the only two that should be running the zone read.

Uh dudes, why are we revisting this topic?

I thought we had decided the running back by committee/putting backs in to specific situations was the way to play em going forward?

Can someone please forward this thread to KirFer?

TIA

Yes, this, and additionally, I thought Canzeri's father was going to have him transfer out alongside with CJBeathard? Maybe they were complaining to Coach Ferentz that they wanted some playing time or else.... (this is sarcasm btw)

I agree there is more to it than just running, however, we are really struggling to move the ball. If we have a running back that can cut back behind the zone blocking to the open holes, then we have to play him. Quite frankly going 3 and out because we can't read the blocks running is barely better than making a good run then fumbling. Either way our defense ends up on the field and gassed in the second half. Canzeri and Bullock are the only two that should be running the zone read.

I agree. Running the stretch sweep to either side of the field is insignificant if: A) you don't have a back that can get the corner, and B) you don't have a back that knows how to best utilize the cutback with zone blocking.

I'm guessing that JC has done this well in practices, but must have other issues (fumbles, injury, ...) to be kept from significant PT. Conversely, MW has probably best been told to try to run North/South as soon as possible.

I hope we continue to mix it up with all 3 (4) backs...they definitely make it harder to gameplan for us.

There's a place for each of them. It seems like they have found their roles now.
Yeah, there's a place for Weisman, it's in short yardage situations... Bullock's pass protection hasn't gotten any better or worse since the beginning of the year, yet he's rushed an awful lot this season. Why was Weisman exclusively used at tailback for at least half this season? To rest the legs of the other runners? ('Cause he's not used a whole lot now, and he's not injured now).

What are you talking about?

Canzeri's line from the Insight Bowl: 22 carries, 58 yards rushing, 6 receptions, 28 yards receiving.

Coker was the only one to miss that game, IIRC. Hardly should affect Canzeri's rushing numbers if the #1 running back was absent.

The 2010 victory against Mizzou was when DJK and ARob missed the Insight Bowl.

Please explain.

The OL was decimated with injuries. Coker was used for just about every carry and the Sooner D was still solid back then.

Latest posts