Canzeri??

OK, here's my theory... feel free to poke holes in it.

Against the stronger teams (MSU, OSU and Wisky), the coaches knew that Iowa was not going to be able to control the LOS and that the RB was going to get hit in the backfield a lot. They needed a back that can get past the first hit, at least some times. In the past, Canzeri seemed to go down pretty easily on first contact; at least some times Wiseman can get a few yards after contact.

Today, the coaches were confident that Iowa would control the LOS so they wanted the back with the best potential to break off a long run.

Give me all three. Frankly, all 4. With Daniels, assuming he gains experience the last couple games, you have someone who is similar to Weisman in short-yardage situations. With Weisman and Bullock, we know what we have. Now with Canzeri, we have an added dimension. Basically, we have FOUR options now which should cover just about every type and skill level of defense we could face in a season.

For some reason, although it's 4 guys instead of 2, it reminds of 2002 when Russell was stonewalled at Michigan, but Jermelle Lewis just romped. At other times, Russell just ran wild.

I really don't care who gets the most carries or yards or TDs. As long as they are properly utilized, who cares who the "starter" is, even. And now Weisman can get reps at FB, Bullock and/or Canzeri can be used in the slot, we can set up power options in short-yardage and goal line situations that would REALLY help to open things up in the red zone.

It was great to Canzeri run like he did today. It was great to see Weisman slam home that TD with authority, great to see Beathard get a TD.

Sure it was "just" Purdue, but a win is a win and they should all enjoy it.

Exactly, finally someone who gets it. Starters can not be set in stone. Run whatcha brung, use your weapons.

OK, here's my theory... feel free to poke holes in it.

Against the stronger teams (MSU, OSU and Wisky), the coaches knew that Iowa was not going to be able to control the LOS and that the RB was going to get hit in the backfield a lot. They needed a back that can get past the first hit, at least some times. In the past, Canzeri seemed to go down pretty easily on first contact; at least some times Wiseman can get a few yards after contact.

Today, the coaches were confident that Iowa would control the LOS so they wanted the back with the best potential to break off a long run.

It's really quite simple... Canzeri got an opportunity last week and burst for 40 yards which made the coaches give him some carries this week and he made the most of it again picking up first down after first down and the coaches road the hot hand.

This thread is laughable at best.

Canzeri has had quite a few chances to carry the ball so far in his 1+ years of action.

Today is the first glimpse he has given anybody of anything special.

To pin this on KF as being incompetent is idiotic.
Look at the stats for the Western Michigan game again. In that game Canzeri and Daniels each ran the ball 13 times.

Guess who had the best YPC? Had he been given 20 carries like today he would probably been over 100 yards for the game.

Bullock looked good today also. Great distribution of runs among the players. This maximizes the rushing yards.

Considering the line play we could have flipped JC and DB and still ended up with nearly the same total rushing yards, maybe more.

Am I surprised by JC's success? Not really. I was delighted to see him on the field. It's gotta feel great to be on the field as the RB w/ that 3 TE set in front of you.

The question is do other teams know what's coming when they see it and JC on the field? If DB is in is there a greater chance that the Hawks will pass out of that same formation?

When you are dominating the line does it even matter if the other team knows what you are about to do?

Agree that KF isn't incompetent, just a little stubborn at times. I think Canzeri's performance today wasn't a surprise to many here.

More importantly I think we are going to see more of him in two weeks. Will he be the top back against UM? Can't say but if the OL shows up like today there is a good chance he will be.

Lets just play it by ear, ok guys. Our last two have backers that move well in space. I am all for using the backs like we did today, but each week is a different d. I am just hopeful the coaches are figuring out that some people and plays work well against one d and the next week different people and plays work better. Film and the first series will help decide which way to go.

Dont you see, Stupid dum Ferrutz not playin his best playrs on porpoise cuz he wants to desroy America.

also he keeps calling playes thet don work instead of calling only the plays that work, cmon how hard is that?!

Iddit!

my daugter/niece could do better job

Dont you see, Stupid dum Ferrutz not playin his best playrs on porpoise cuz he wants to desroy America.

also he keeps calling playes thet don work instead of calling only the plays that work, cmon how hard is that?!

Iddit!

my daugter/niece could do better job

For the win.

Look at the stats for the Western Michigan game again. In that game Canzeri and Daniels each ran the ball 13 times.

Guess who had the best YPC? Had he been given 20 carries like today he would probably been over 100 yards for the game.

Bullock looked good today also. Great distribution of runs among the players. This maximizes the rushing yards.

Considering the line play we could have flipped JC and DB and still ended up with nearly the same total rushing yards, maybe more.

Am I surprised by JC's success? Not really. I was delighted to see him on the field. It's gotta feel great to be on the field as the RB w/ that 3 TE set in front of you.

The question is do other teams know what's coming when they see it and JC on the field? If DB is in is there a greater chance that the Hawks will pass out of that same formation?

When you are dominating the line does it even matter if the other team knows what you are about to do?

Agree that KF isn't incompetent, just a little stubborn at times. I think Canzeri's performance today wasn't a surprise to many here.

More importantly I think we are going to see more of him in two weeks. Will he be the top back against UM? Can't say but if the OL shows up like today there is a good chance he will be.

You should never have gotten past this point in your thought process.

I'm still not quite on the Canzeri bandwagon. Yes, he looked great today. And I do think he needs to get more touches. But I'm not ready to anoint him as our best option. Not when his two games where he looked good came against hilariously awful teams. But he's definitely earned a fair shake in our next couple games against better competition. Give him 7-10 carries and see what he can do; then dole out further carries as warranted.

You should never have gotten past this point in your thought process.

I'm still not quite on the Canzeri bandwagon. Yes, he looked great today. And I do think he needs to get more touches. But I'm not ready to anoint him as our best option. Not when his two games where he looked good came against hilariously awful teams. But he's definitely earned a fair shake in our next couple games against better competition. Give him 7-10 carries and see what he can do; then dole out further carries as warranted.

Agreed here. Using bitmap's logic, Shumo had the best day yesterday (highest YPC average, and should get lots of targets going forward).

I liked the RB by committee look vs Purdue, and think all of them should play in different situations. If one of them gets a hot hand, get them more touches.

I will add another comment...
KirFer has definitely broken tendencies by rotating backs in the game during drives and throughout games; rather than running one guy til he dead. So good on Capt for that.

Agreed here. Using bitmap's logic, Shumo had the best day yesterday (highest YPC average, and should get lots of targets going forward).

I liked the RB by committee look vs Purdue, and think all of them should play in different situations. If one of them gets a hot hand, get them more touches.

KirFer has definitely broken tendencies by rotating backs in the game during drives and throughout games; rather than running one guy til he dead. So good on Capt for that.
you do know saying good things about kf could get you ostracized, dont you?
I agree its nice to seeit when a light goes off and people stop banging their head against a wall. Keep this kind of practice/work, mind set up and we could be very good next year.

I really liked the balance of all 3 (or 4) running backs yesterday. Weisman was used on a ton of 3rd and short or goal line plays where he can be really effective and Canzei/Bullock took more carries on 1st and 2nd down. As long as the coaching staff keeps this offense less predictable and the players can role with it, then it's where our offense can be most effective.

I know it was vs Purdue but the success of the running game really opened a lot of receivers down field. Ideally we should have more success against Michigan and Nebraska running the ball than against the tough defenses we played over the past month. We'll see. 2 weeks to prepare for UM and I liked how Iowa looked against OSU the last time we had two weeks off. Let's get it.

The last real extended game opportunity JC got was in the 2011 Insight Bowl against Oklahoma. As far as receiving goes, JC had a team high 6 catches and for 28 yards and a td. I don't think catching the ball out of the backfield would be a problem for him.

It's getting scary when people start agreeing w/ my logic... Until he starts dropping balls I'm all for it. Maybe the realization that his football career has, maybe, 3 more games caused something to click in his head. He has the physical tools, mostly mind issues. This is two games in row where he has looked like he should be on the field. After MSU I figured he was done so this has come as a pleasant surprise.

Yes, this has been the biggest surprise for me this year. Of course having four RBs to choose from really makes it work

The 50% distribution scheme seems to yield the best results with this team. Identifying the one two three and then giving the top guy half the carries, with the next guy getting half of the remaining really maxes out the yards on the ground.

Canzeri now seems to be the best at getting through the holes while they are there and until opposing Ds can stop him he should get significant carries going forward.

Is it BF or GD that is working KF over? Or are they teaming up in tag team fashion? And Parker's defense is really showing some promise and seems to break tendencies too.

This season has been a bit roller coasty for me but hopefully the Hawks finish strong.

The last real extended game opportunity JC got was in the 2011 Insight Bowl against Oklahoma. As far as receiving goes, JC had a team high 6 catches and for 28 yards and a td. I don't think catching the ball out of the backfield would be a problem for him.

Wheel route baby , throw the wheel route. Canzeri was always mentioned as good at catching the ball.

Isn't it possible there was a reason:

1) Banged up
2) Doesn't pick up the blitz
3) Improvement
4) Fumbles
5) All of the above

If it was always easy to play the best player, they would (I believe). That said, he looks really good now.

I agree. Yes Canzeri is our most dynamic runner but he lacks in ball security. There's more to it than just running with the ball.

I agree. Yes Canzeri is our most dynamic runner but he lacks in ball security. There's more to it than just running with the ball.
Isn't this the reason Brownlee played ahead of Sims in 2004. He had 0 fumbles and it appeared as if he was a very good blocker. I noticed in a lot of the Tate highlights that Brownlee picked up a blitzer and gave Tate time to make great plays.

Latest posts