Candidates To Replace Kirk

And who/were do you think he will get the talent that ND has? Not to mention who/will be his assistant coaches?

Seriously, that is what you are worried about? Are you trying to compare Iowa to ND and the type of talent each can recruit?

And who/were do you think he will get the talent that ND has? Not to mention who/will be his assistant coaches?

Sportstalent isn't saying if Iowa gets Diaco they will have the success in recruiting and on the field that ND had this year but it might be better than where Kirk has the program now.

Bobby Wilder Coach at Old Dominion, dude resurected a program that had actually been dead for 69 years to the most prolific offense in FCS, comes cheap.

Ken Niumatalolo, a coach that runs on offense that relies on strong line play without a lot of "skill" guys and has never had a recruiting advantage, Iowa's resources would be a major upgrade. Don't let Navy's record be a distraction, Paul Johnson has a pretty good thing going at Georgia Tech, and I don't think he has the quality line that Iowa is known for.

I do not want to see Iowa running that Flexbone option offense. Talk about archaic. Who is the last team (and in what year) that challenged for a NC while running that offense? Agree he seems like a good coach though

To answer my own question, 1995 Nebraska maybe? That was when I was pretty young, don't really remember

I do not want to see Iowa running that Flexbone option offense. Talk about archaic. Who is the last team (and in what year) that challenged for a NC while running that offense? Agree he seems like a good coach though

To answer my own question, 1995 Nebraska maybe? That was when I was pretty young, don't really remember

Iowa's task is not competing for NCs, that is a nice byproduct of winning B1G titles.

In my mind there are now three main goals for every B1G team:

1) Win their division
2) Win the title game
3) Win the rose bowl

If you accomplish that and have a little luck, maybe you are part of the NC conversation.

Ask your question another way, who was the last team faced with what Iowa is (small natural recruiting base, not in the top 10 nationaly in revenue) that competed for a NC?

+1

I have zero desire to see Iowa run an option oriented offense. It would be too hard to get elite talent in order to be successful in a conference that has some pretty talented defenses. Plus it's a gimicky offense and there are a lot of turnovers. Iowa will have the most success if they study the playcalling of teams like Stanford and Wisconsin. They still focus heavily on line play, but they aren't afraid to go outside the box with playcalling.

Ok, so some of you think we can't win again and get good talent....well then I suggest Ron Zook. We will still get NFL players, we will still lose most of the time, but actually once in a great while might be in the soon to be defunct Rose Bowl, but man will the losing seasons be entertaining for a number of reasons.

Unlike other Hawk coaches in various sports, he will be seen in the community and talk to kids....and sign autographs. He may help his team beat up frat boys too.

Entertaining. I vote for Zook!

Ok, so some of you think we can't win again and get good talent....well then I suggest Ron Zook. We will still get NFL players, we will still lose most of the time, but actually once in a great while might be in the soon to be defunct Rose Bowl, but man will the losing seasons be entertaining for a number of reasons.

Unlike other Hawk coaches in various sports, he will be seen in the community and talk to kids....and sign autographs. He may help his team beat up frat boys too.

Entertaining. I vote for Zook!

The Zooker needs to realize he is a very good recruiter but a horrible HC. Someone needs to get him to realize this and convince him to be their full time recruiting coordinator.

Water over the bridge at this point but I think NC State got a good one out of our backyard that would have been a fit on a number of levels. Maybe another day another time in the next few years? We'll see how he does in the bigger arena in the meantime.

Dave Doeren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpt below from recent ESPN interview.........

Now on to the job, you mentioned you have ties to Florida in recruiting. Do you have any to North Carolina, and if you don’t, how do you plan on building those in a couple months to assemble a class.

DD:
Obviously, that’s a challenge. I had never worked in the state of Illinois, either. What you do is you try to assemble a staff of guys that are great recruiters. Not necessarily that they have to had recruited North Carolina. When I was an assistant coach, I recruited Los Angeles, and did a great job. Then I got moved to Dallas and did a great job, and then I got moved to South Florida and I did a great job. I think it’s about relationships. You can recruit anywhere if you’re willing to put the time and the work and the effort in. You don’t just walk in in January and sign a Top 20 class in-state. That doesn’t happen. The staff I put together is going to be more judged probably on how well we did in a year, when we get 12 months into a class. Right now it’s more about making sure the kids who are committed want to come here, that they still feel like we want them. There’s only a few spots left. But we do need to build huge relationships for the future and get on all the young kids now and build the relationships now so next year we do have a shot at them.

Ah yes, there's that word recruiting again......Iowa's Achilles' heal.

Zooker as recruiting coordinator is good. Throw in Chizik as the... financial... recruiting assistant, while you're at it.

+1

I have zero desire to see Iowa run an option oriented offense. It would be too hard to get elite talent in order to be successful in a conference that has some pretty talented defenses. Plus it's a gimicky offense and there are a lot of turnovers. Iowa will have the most success if they study the playcalling of teams like Stanford and Wisconsin. They still focus heavily on line play, but they aren't afraid to go outside the box with playcalling.

That is the point, it doesn't require elite level talent, I don't disagree that Stanford and Wisconsin are also good models. Let's not kid ourselves though, it is always going to be hard for Iowa to have a stable full of NFL type receivers and backs.

FYI

Georgia Tech 36th in the nation in scoring offense, 34th (tie) in turnovers lost, 9th in time of possesion
Standford 69th in the nation in scoring offense, 34th (tie) in turnovers lost, 22nd in time of possesion
Wisconsin 50th in the nation in scoring offense, 4th in turnovers lost, 12th in time of possesion

I am not sure why it is gimicky, the flexbone option has been run successfuly for over 30 years.

Aside from the quarterback position, Iowa has all the pieces to run it well and it would get the playmakers on the field. Athletic line, powerful fullback type ball carrier (Wiesman). Slot backs who can run and catch (Bullock, KMM, Hill) and I would think the Iowa tight end corps would flourish as the primary receivers and great outside run blockers.

I will also say, that I don't think Iowa would do something like this, but I think it makes sense. To say that Iowa doesn't have some natural disadvantages with skill positions is being naive. I think that is why Kirk runs the offense he does, problem being it doesn't produce any results and hasn't in his tenure here.

Zooker as recruiting coordinator is good. Throw in Chizik as the... financial... recruiting assistant, while you're at it.

Chizik knew nothing of the bag of cash...plausible deniability.

The NCAA looked into the $200k he took out of his 401K/retirement fund that Chizik said was for "charitable donation" that he chose not to list on his taxes.

They were all cleared and the NCAA can rest their heads peacefully at night as they got the NC game everyone wanted.

Could you imagine the ISU and Iowa game with Paul "so proud" Rhoads and Mike Stoops both jumping around and flipping out on the sidelines.

I am an idiot, I actually meant to type Bob Stoops. Maybe my own brain wouldn't let me type that???

Latest posts