Candidates for the OC position

I think that's a sign they are closer than further away but not going to act like I know. I do know that as someone who works in staffing that a lot of times, you post the job AFTER you identified your candidate. That way you can check that box that you made it available to anyone and that you gave a chance for qualified candidates to apply. That way, you can really pump up the "we turned over every rock and went through a substantial search where we considered every candidate" yadda yadda yadda - all the time knowing they have their guy but let's put this on the site for at least 10 business days kind of deal.
If history is any guide, posting the opening is a definite sign that the decision already has been made, or they have it narrowed down to just a few finalists. I will be surprised if we don't have an announcement before the bowl game.

If history is any guide, posting the opening is a definite sign that the decision already has been made, or they have it narrowed down to just a few finalists. I will be surprised if we don't have an announcement before the bowl game.

• Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.

Well maybe we should the keep the horizons wide and not be so frosty on Frost. Head coach, top manager position is significantly different than the OC or DC positions, many have excelled at one of the coordinator positions and flopped when given head coach responsibilities. See Josh McDaniels.

Absolutely true.

We DO beat Ohio and Mich about 20 percent of the time starting with Evy era in 1952, so it does happen
There are reasons for those results, and they are all deteriorating. A sample of 71 years and probably 5 or 6 coaches should tell the Never Ferentz crowd to lower their expectations. I'm not saying love the offense or be without rational criticism, merely reality should make you lower your expectations.

Iowa is Kirk Ferentz away from being Indiana.

Last edited:
There are reasons for those results, and they are all deteriorating. A sample of 71 years and probably 5 or 6 should tell the Never Ferentz crowd to lower their expectations. I'm not saying love the offense or be without rational criticism, merely reality should make you lower your expectations.

Iowa is Kirk Ferentz away from being Indiana.
Or you could say that Iowa is one competent offensive coordinator away from being Alabama. Is the glass half full or half empty?

Not now tupid! How do some not follow what is being stated in the post. Please track.

Teddy and I are both saying, if Iowa DOES NOT HIRE THE RIGHT COACH, Iowa is close to dropping close to an Indiana, Mich St, Minny, etc. than they are at being a Ohio St. or Michigan.
We absolutely understand that if Iowa hires the wrong person that we could end up in worse shape than we are now. The frustrating fact is that a lot of fans see that we are one hire away from being in the hunt for a national championship year after year. One decent offense puts us where we want to be. Our defense is so outstanding that even with the worst offense in the NCAA we were on the fringe of the conversation. A lot of us want to be on that level and it’s extremely frustrating for us to have a coach who seems to think that the status quo is good enough instead of striving for what is just barely agonizingly close to within our reach.

We absolutely understand that if Iowa hires the wrong person that we could end up in worse shape than we are now. The frustrating fact is that a lot of fans see that we are one hire away from being in the hunt for a national championship year after year. One decent offense puts us where we want to be. Our defense is so outstanding that even with the worst offense in the NCAA we were on the fringe of the conversation. A lot of us want to be on that level and it’s extremely frustrating for us to have a coach who seems to think that the status quo is good enough instead of striving for what is just barely agonizingly close to within our reach.
Not year after year, that is not going to happen. I think most fans accept that. But, I think Iowa can have some very good seasons with 2 of the 3 complimentary units at an elite level. Those teams are one decent offense of making a splash in the postseason. All I'm sayin'.

No one should be happy having such a poor offense. An offense in the absolute middle of the pack would do great things for us. An upper tier offense should be the goal. The University of Iowa cannot settle.

I really don't see how Scott Frost fits into the decades long amount of complementary football that KF has preached. Frost's offense has miles of penalty yards, turns over the ball at an alarming rate, has mountains of players in the portal every year, and is seemingly incapable of winning a close game. The only thing that Frost brings that resembles what Kirk loves is the lack of passes beyond 5 yards down the field.

Can we just hurry up and hirer Klint Kubiac?

Whatever you're sniffing up your nose, I want some, I will give you my PayPal number. Hunt for a National Championship, really? That's Jim Kirk and Spock material, star date, 60666, long thread here so I might have read the jest of your comment wrong, however, in the hunt for a National Championship, really. Jim would kick you off the bridge for comments like that.

And a special OC away from being a much better team
We can compete without a special OC, Iowa will become noncompetitive in the instant free agency and NIL without KF.

Having said that, I hope we land a special OC because I'd rather score more points than less.

What little inside info I have this morning is saying that Budmayr definitely is staying on as either the OC or QB coach. The staff is being very tight-lipped about where things stand, as they should. FWIW, there was a commitment this morning that would not have happened if Budmayr was leaving.

What little inside info I have this morning is saying that Budmayr definitely is staying on as either the OC or QB coach. The staff is being very tight-lipped about where things stand, as they should. FWIW, there was a commitment this morning that would not have happened if Budmayr was leaving.
I believe the incoming '24 QB was quoted about his relationship with Budmayr. Boy I hope he's not the new OC, I could live with him as a QB coach I guess.

We've avoided the bad risk so far. The only risk of unloading Brian was losing Kirk. Hard to imagine worse than BF.

Will-no one is happy with the offense. That's just a strawman.

Wizard of Oz - Wicked Witch of the West Sets Fire to Scarecrow on Make a GIF

Based on the wording of the job posting, it appears the official hire announcement will not be made until Dec 27 at the earliest.

Last edited:

Latest posts