Can we start 6-0 next year? Also I think we go 9-3

Barnett's worst game in 2011 was the bowl game, you dont think that might have had something to do with his OC having a leg in at Ohio State? I mean the guy did engineer the best victory in ISU history with his arm and his legs. The potential for Barnett is very high.

Barnett is a good player, and has made some clutch plays, but you need to slow down a little bit. He completed 50% of his passes last year. That is not good. His td to int. is 1/1. That also, is not good. I don't think anyone without a routing interest would say that QB is a push. You are setting yourself up for some disappointment.

Barnett's worst game in 2011 was the bowl game, you dont think that might have had something to do with his OC having a leg in at Ohio State? I mean the guy did engineer the best victory in ISU history with his arm and his legs. The potential for Barnett is very high.

Barnett: 110/220 50% Completetion 1201 Yards 6/6 TD/INT 99.4 Rating

Vandenburg: 237/404 58.7% Completion 3022 Yards 25/7 TD/INT 138.4 Rating

And the game is in Kinnick this fall and you want to say the QB's are a push?

Like I said- You are an idiot.

Barnett: 110/220 50% Completetion 1201 Yards 6/6 TD/INT 99.4 Rating

Vandenburg: 237/404 58.7% Completion 3022 Yards 25/7 TD/INT 138.4 Rating

And the game is in Kinnick this fall and you want to say the QB's are a push?

Like I said- You are an idiot.
What were JVB's numbers as a redshirt freshman? Did he knock off the #2 and #17 teams in the country? Better question, has he ever? You need to remember JVB can only be as good as the talent around him. We are talking about game 2 without the two biggest stars and impact players from the year before, you understand that right? Coker and McNutt were a luxury, a luxury he will surely lack by the 2nd game of the season. Not to mention a brand new OC.

Last edited:
What were JVB's numbers as a redshirt freshman? Did he knock off the #2 and #17 teams in the country? Better question has he ever? You need to remember JVB can only be as good as the talent around him. We are talking about game 2 without the two biggest stars and impact players from the year before, you understand that right? Coker and McNutt were a luxury, a luxury he will surely lack by the 2nd game of the season. Not to mention a brand new OC.

What about Barnett's new OC?

And WR is one of the positions that I think will be alright next year. Davis will be a legit #1 WR and KMM should be able to step into the #2 role. CJF has the talent and started to come on at the end of last year and Derby is a serviceable 2nd option at TE.

And as far as Coker, I never get too worried about Iowa being able to run the ball successfully. Not one guy is going to put up the numbers that Coker put up last year but Iowa will be able to run the ball.

What about Barnett's new OC?

And WR is one of the positions that I think will be alright next year. Davis will be a legit #1 WR and KMM should be able to step into the #2 role. CJF has the talent and started to come on at the end of last year and Derby is a serviceable 2nd option at TE.

And as far as Coker, I never get too worried about Iowa being able to run the ball successfully. Not one guy is going to put up the numbers that Coker put up last year but Iowa will be able to run the ball.
ISU's OC has been on staff for 4 years. KMM is a solid WR, but Davis is as inconsistent as they come. Iowa does not have the returning depth at RB like when Greene/Robinson/Wegher left. For the first time a long time, RB will be an issue this season, IMO. Again I did not say Barnett was better than JVB I said it was a push. Barnett has more talent around him right now, thats why its a push. JVB may have better mechanics, but again a QB cant do it all.

Now wait a min. Saying mcnutt made JVB is the dumbest thing ever. Did u remember the amount of dropped balls?!?!?!? And McNutt had a large portion of them!

ISU's OC has been on staff for 4 years. KMM is a solid WR, but Davis is as inconsistent as they come. Iowa does not have the returning depth at RB like when Greene/Robinson/Wegher left. For the first time a long time, RB will be an issue this season, IMO. Again I did not say Barnett was better than JVB I said it was a push. Barnett has more talent around him right now, thats why its a push. JVB may have better mechanics, but again a QB cant do it all.

RB depth has been an issue at Iowa for a few years now. Coker, Robinson and Wegher were all underclassmen when they carried the burden of the rushing attack. We have been a solid running team most years of KF's tenure and I dont think that will change anytime in the near future.

I would be more willing to call the QB matchup a push if the game were in Jack Trice, and even that would be a reach IMO. To call it a push when the game is in Kinnick is laughable.

JVB has had the luxury of some of the best receivers in Iowa history. Lets see what he can do without them. As for Barnett its hard to imagine a worse receiving core. The only consistent guy has been Lentz and he will be a Sr next year. So while JVB has been playing with NFL talent at receiver Barnett has had JV talent. Again do not downplay the loss of McNutt and Coker, they gained almost all your yardage and scored almost all your touchdowns last season.

JVB has had the luxury of some of the best receivers in Iowa history. Lets see what he can do without them. As for Barnett its hard to imagine a worse receiving core. The only consistent guy has been Lentz and he will be a Sr next year. So while JVB has been playing with NFL talent at receiver Barnett has had JV talent. Again do not downplay the loss of McNutt and Coker, they gained almost all your yardage and scored almost all your touchdowns last season.

This is getting ridiculous. First of all McNutt is the only receiver that you could claim as being "one of the best in Iowa history" that JVB has played with. Stanzi was the QB when DJK was a senior. JVB played 2 and a half games with DJK because of an injury to Stanzi.

And JVB is going to see a huge drop in production because he is losing all the talent around him but Barnett is poised for a huge year with all the JV talent he has at WR? Do you not see anything wrong with your reasoning in the post I quoted?

This is getting ridiculous. First of all McNutt is the only receiver that you could claim as being "one of the best in Iowa history" that JVB has played with. Stanzi was the QB when DJK was a senior. JVB played 2 and a half games with DJK because of an injury to Stanzi.

And JVB is going to see a huge drop in production because he is losing all the talent around him but Barnett is poised for a huge year with all the JV talent he has at WR? Do you not see anything wrong with your reasoning in the post I quoted?
I believe he played when Stanzi went down and JVB stepped in, am I wrong? You were giving me all these numbers of Barnett. DJK has had a hand in JVB's numbers in his career. Our receiving core is going to be all new next season, my theory, it cannot possibly be worse than what we have had. Albert Gary is coming along, Lentz is solid, and the redshirt freshman receivers we have will make an impact.

I believe he played when Stanzi went down and JVB stepped in, am I wrong? You were giving me all these numbers of Barnett. DJK has had a hand in JVB's numbers in his career. Our receiving core is going to be all new next season, my theory, it cannot possibly be worse than what we have had. Albert Gary is coming along, Lentz is solid, and the redshirt freshman receivers we have will make an impact.

Did I not say that JVB played 2 and a half games with DJK because of an injury to Stanzi? DJK had 16 receptions for 197 yards against NW, OSU and Minny in 2009. Im not sure how many of those completions are credited to JVB against NW as he came in midway through the 2nd quarter. JVB and DJK did not play extensively together. JVB played regulary with one of the greatest WR's in Iowa history, Marvin McNutt.

The only numbers I gave regarding Barnett or JVB was last years totals. McNutt played a huge part in those numbers but to think that Iowa wont be able to replace some of his production with guys that have been in the program for 2-3 years is ignorant. Even more ignorant is you expecting ISU's WR's to be substantially better than this year when their entire WR corps is new, with the exception of a couple guys.

ISUer you are so off base with this and the numbers show it. Kennan Davis would be the most productive returning receiver on your team in every category. He had 86 targets (9 less than your leader from last season Reynolds) and caught 50 passes for a solid 58% rate (Reynolds was less than 50%). Iowa returns 12 receiving TDs from last season's team ISU returns 7. McNutt had 139 targets leading to 82 receptions and 12 of Iowa's 25 TD receptions. ISU returns four receivers with 20+ receptions lead by Josh Lenz. Iowa returns Davis, KMM, and CJFed who combined for 10 TDs last season. CJFed is by far the most efficient player returning for either school and given the space that McNutt's abscence leaves is the player most likely to reap the benefits.

Iowa's offense will be superior to ISU's next season in every significant statistical category. Iowa will average more points as a team, rush for more TDs, pass for more TDs, and gain more yardage than ISU over the course of the season. Iowa's passing game will likely take a big step forward with the addition of Davis, a proven OC with years of experience and tons of success. ISU has a QB battle heading into the season and two QBs who each committed as many turnovers as Vandenberg while splitting reps.

To call the QB and receiver positions a push is an absolute joke.

ISUer you are so off base with this and the numbers show it. Kennan Davis would be the most productive returning receiver on your team in every category. He had 86 targets (9 less than your leader from last season Reynolds) and caught 50 passes for a solid 58% rate (Reynolds was less than 50%). Iowa returns 12 receiving TDs from last season's team ISU returns 7. McNutt had 139 targets leading to 82 receptions and 12 of Iowa's 25 TD receptions. ISU returns four receivers with 20+ receptions lead by Josh Lenz. Iowa returns Davis, KMM, and CJFed who combined for 10 TDs last season. CJFed is by far the most efficient player returning for either school and given the space that McNutt's abscence leaves is the player most likely to reap the benefits.

Iowa's offense will be superior to ISU's next season in every significant statistical category. Iowa will average more points as a team, rush for more TDs, pass for more TDs, and gain more yardage than ISU over the course of the season. Iowa's passing game will likely take a big step forward with the addition of Davis, a proven OC with years of experience and tons of success. ISU has a QB battle heading into the season and two QBs who each committed as many turnovers as Vandenberg while splitting reps.

To call the QB and receiver positions a push is an absolute joke.
So you are putting Kennan Davis in with the likes of McNutt and DJK? There is no comparison worthy of my time. You forgot to throw maybe one of the biggest stats in there, and a stat that has plagued ISU for years, dropped balls. Davis may have more of those than DJK and McNutt combined. McNutt never dropped a ball, he made crossing routes look routine, he made over the shoulder catches look routine, he will be playing on Sundays. You honestly think Kennan Davis even gets a call as an undrafted free agent? And please do not bring CJF into this conversation, he is a name that has never produced, he is close to being mentioned with some of those 5* guys that never produced at Iowa.

Last edited:
So you are putting Kennan Davis in with the likes of McNutt and DJK? There is no comparison worthy of my time. You forgot to throw maybe one of the biggest stats in there, and a stat that has plagued ISU for years, dropped balls. Davis may have more of those than DJK and McNutt combined. McNutt never dropped a ball, he made crossing routes look routine, he made over the shoulder catches look routine, he will be playing on Sundays. You honestly think Kennan Davis even gets a call as an undrafted free agent? And please do not bring CJF into this conversation, he is a name that has never produced, he is close to being mentioned with some of those 5* guys that never produced at Iowa.

The bolded comment should end the argument as its obvious you didnt watch a lot of Iowa football. While I consider McNutt to be the best receiver in Iowa history, he had his fair share of drops. Often times seemed like he made the spectacular catches and dropped the wide open crossing routes or curls.

The bolded comment should end the argument as its obvious you didnt watch a lot of Iowa football. While I consider McNutt to be the best receiver in Iowa history, he had his fair share of drops. Often times seemed like he made the spectacular catches and dropped the wide open crossing routes or curls.
Ok maybe I was a little extreme but rarely did he drop a ball. I would have taken him over an WR we had last season. He is as sure handed as they come.

Here are some of Iowa's stats from last season for the passing game.
McNutt had 82 receptions on 139 targets for a catch rate of 59%. He also had nearly half of Iowa's receiving TDs with 12 out of 25. McNutt was actually more productive on passing downs in both % and yards per catch and target.

Davis had 50 receptions on 86 targets for a catch rate of 58.1%. He was slightly more productive on standard downs and McNutt received over 36% of all of Iowa's thrid down targets last season. Davis caught 4 TD passes last season. His Junior numbers compare favorably to DJKs junior season in terms or receptions and TDs. Davis has room to improve, but did fight injuries for much of last season and will likely carve the most significant amount of targets that have been lost from last season (Iowa loses 191 targets from last season in the persons of McNutt, Coker and Herman in that order). Davis will likely see 100+ targets next season and should have a legit chance of catching 60+ passes and could exceed 1000 yards and 10 TDs as Vandenberg's top likely target.

KMM had 30 catches on 49 targets for a catch rate of 61.2%. He scored 3 TDs which would be the highest number of TDs returning for ISU. KMM did almost all of his damage from the slot and will likely take over that role again when Iowa goes 311 personnel. KMM started off the season hot and tailed off towards the end of the year, but his numbers are the best freshman receiving numbers since Douglas in 2006 and he scored 1 more TD than Davis in a lesser role. KMM has the ability to see 80+ targets next season if he can stay healthy and will likely be Iowa's second leading receiver.

Iowa's second mos significant loss in the passing game will be Coker, who was money on passing downs (9 catches on 12 targets for 97 yards). Coker will likely be replaced by a committee, however he was not an effective receiver on standard downs and had a terrible yards per target number- 3.2 yards per target. Personally I believe whoever takes over the lion's share of Coker's pass targets will be more effective in that role. Jordan Canzeri had 6 targets last season and caught all 6 passes and is going to be a better player in space than Coker.

The player to watch however is going to be Fiedorowicz who again scored more TDs last season than any returning ISU receiver. Fiedorowicz was incredibly efficient in every facet of the passing game and was obviously underutilized last season. CJFed had 16 catches on 21 targets for a very good 76.2% catch rate. CJFed scored 3 TDs on 21 targets and it is my opinion that he take over a large portion of available targets next season as he clearly outperformed Derby and Herman in the passing game last season and Iowa has McNutt's production in the red zone to replace. I would not be surprised to see 70+ targets for CJ next season and although his catch % will go down, he will still likely be the most efficient target in Iowa's passing game next season. 10+ TDs for CJ is not out of the question next season.

Given the defensive losses of Iowa's 2012 opponents this should be a special passing season for the Hawks if the line can keep JVB on his feet, Davis is as good int he passing game as advertised and Iowa can get reliable production from the third receiver position (whether one player steps up or it is three or four guys in spot duty it doesn't matter).

Latest posts