Can we agree, Fran will have more to work with than Alford or Lickliter?

Wow really?
I think you should stick to breaking down Iowa State basketball...

The 99-00 roster was...
Dean Oliver
Rob Griffin
Jake Jaacks
Kyle Galloway
Ryan Luehrsman
Duez Henderson
Jason Price
Rod Thompson

Next Years Roster is
Cully
Cole
Fuller
May
Gatens
Cougs
Brommer
Marble
Brust
McCabe
Larsen

I'd take the second roster in a heartbeat.

The first team would plain whip the 2nd team. Are you serious? Who is guarding Dean?

Another topic is how much change will McCaffery make initially in the roster? He runs a very different system. I would think a guy like Cougill may have a hard time. We are very big heavy in scholarships right now.

Will he bring in somebody new for the 13th scholarship this year? Will certain players be asked to leave? The 2011 class is a big class for a first time coach building a program. For Lick it was Tucker, Gatens, Fuller and Brommer. Right now with only one graduating senior it will be hard to make an impact unless certain players are asked to leave.

Fran can be a good hire but if he is uptempo then there really isn't anyone besides maybe Fuller or May that fits his style. It is going to take time for him to get his players in

Wow really?
I think you should stick to breaking down Iowa State basketball...

The 99-00 roster was...
Dean Oliver
Rob Griffin
Jake Jaacks
Kyle Galloway
Ryan Luehrsman
Duez Henderson
Jason Price
Rod Thompson

Next Years Roster is
Cully
Cole
Fuller
May
Gatens
Cougs
Brommer
Marble
Brust
McCabe
Larsen

I'd take the second roster in a heartbeat.

Really, I'd prefer the first to be honest. Mostly cause I don't know waht the freshman will do next year, and I think our perception of some of these guys was blurred by the Lick style. Also, Dean Oliver makes it the first for me. Best PG in a long time at Iowa. I'm not saying one is better than the other by much, but I wouldn't take the second in a heartbeat.

More initial talent.
Better facilities coming.
Etc...

Should we expect a better first couple seasons than Alford or Lickliter gave us? Is that unreasonable?

I'm going to agree with Stormin on this one. If the recruits stick to their commitments and McCaffery can fill the available scholarship he is getting a nice roster with some depth and athleticism. Plus he can sell the facilities to his first recruiting class. Can you imagine how good May and Fuller could be in this uptempo style? The only player I don't see this style fitting is Cougs maybe but a little conditioning and who knows. It will allow the guys to play to their ability, not a lot of restriction and I think that plays to Payne and Gaten's abilities as well.

There is more talent now than there was in Lick's first year definitely, don't remember who Alford had but I don't see why next year's team couldn't be .500 or FEW games better. Given the different philosophy and mentality these guys are going to have has to count for something.

The first team would plain whip the 2nd team. Are you serious? Who is guarding Dean?

Outside of Dean Oliver Iowa is equal to or better at every single position.

Gatens>Galloway
May>Griffin
Fuller>Duez

Cole might not be offensively where Jaacks was but he'd be just fine defensively. We haven't even looked at the freshman.

Clone17,

I agree on Freeman & Tate. That's about it. You have to look at those players THAT year, that first year. Kelly was a freshman. Cole got hurt before the Big Ten season.

As for the recruiting class, doesnt really matter if its 7th in the Big Ten. It's a good class. It's better than that in the league...its either 5th or 6th..and the Top four in the Big Ten are Top 20 classes...three top ten's probly.

Iowa's class is certainly a Top 40 class...and if they could do that each year, with the right coach, they will be successful.

Fran can be a good hire but if he is uptempo then there really isn't anyone besides maybe Fuller or May that fits his style. It is going to take time for him to get his players in

You are either intentionally trying to stir the pot, or you are just off base. You don't think Gatens can play in the open court? Cully Payne? Cole? Please. It's not like these guys were recruited out of Princeton HS systems.

Clone17,

I agree on Freeman & Tate. That's about it. You have to look at those players THAT year, that first year. Kelly was a freshman. Cole got hurt before the Big Ten season.

As for the recruiting class, doesnt really matter if its 7th in the Big Ten. It's a good class. It's better than that in the league...its either 5th or 6th..and the Top four in the Big Ten are Top 20 classes...three top ten's probly.

Iowa's class is certainly a Top 40 class...and if they could do that each year, with the right coach, they will be successful.

Jon,

If you don't count Kelly than you can't count this top 40 recruiting class either. Can't play both sides

One disadvantage McCaffery has is lack of roster flexibility. We can debate talent, but I'm there are players on this roster McCaffery would not want to recruit, not necessarily because they are terrible, but because coaches emphasize different things. One of Lick's biggest problems, in my opinion, was his inability to adjust to players that weren't exactly "his" type of players. Lick would have been better off if there were only a few returning players. In the next two years, absent any transfers, McCaffery can only bring in 2 new players. He helped turn around Siena, in part, by targeting and signing some pretty good players (for the MAAC) in his initial recruiting classes, he won't have the luxury here.

Cole will be as good if not better than Tate in this system. He was trying to play center in an offense in which he wasn't suited. Let him get out and run and you will see an entirely different player.

Did you see the smile on this kid's face.

Also, DID ANYBODY SEE ARCHIE? I DON'T SEE HIM IN ANY OF THE PICTURES OF PLAYERS MEETING WITH THE COACH.

That might open up room for another big who can run.

You are either intentionally trying to stir the pot, or you are just off base. You don't think Gatens can play in the open court? Cully Payne? Cole? Please. It's not like these guys were recruited out of Princeton HS systems.

I am not trying to stir the pot at all. If I am coming off that way than I apologize. I have followed Iowa bball for years and was there when Alford left and Lick took over.

As for the open court question. Payne? Absolutely not. The other two? Maybe in the non conference. Not against superior athletes from OSU, Purdue, etc. I said the same thing when Iowa State talked about speeding up their play and they have Diante at PG. When your guards are below average in the league you can't play uptempo as well.

Outside of Dean Oliver Iowa is equal to or better at every single position.

Gatens>Galloway
May>Griffin
Fuller>Duez

Cole might not be offensively where Jaacks was but he'd be just fine defensively. We haven't even looked at the freshman.

I don't think May is better than Griffin. He might be a better defender but he is nowhere near the offensive player Griffin was. The top two players on Alford's first team (Oliver and Jaacks) were better than anyone on next year's team and Griffin was a guy who could get his own shot against B-10 competition, which May and Gatens really struggle to do.

I don't think May is better than Griffin. He might be a better defender but he is nowhere near the offensive player Griffin was. The top two players on Alford's first team (Oliver and Jaacks) were better than anyone on next year's team and Griffin was a guy who could get his own shot against B-10 competition, which May and Gatens really struggle to do.

Agreed. I like May's game but Griffin was better. And Henderson was a solid player at times as well

Jon,

If you don't count Kelly than you can't count this top 40 recruiting class either. Can't play both sides

I count Kelly...but I count the recollection of Kelly THE FRESHMAN and what he played like. He didn't play like Kelly THE SOPHOMORE

Jon,

I think his point was the FOUR incomming fremshan (Brush, Marble, Larsen, Mccabe) will have a much bigger impact thier freshman seasons than Kelly who put up 7.3 pts, 1.9 rebs, and more TO's than A's his freshman season.

Now go back to your own board and discuss that juggernaut ISU program.

Jon,

Cyclones17, why don't you go worry about your ISU team and their recruiting needs! Being that your team had two NBA players on their roster this year and failed expectations miserablly suggests to me your team has a bigger problems than arguing with Jon over Iowa's recruiting. Especially given that Jon has more credentials and a bigger brain than you!

You guys need to consider that for the first time in who knows how long, we will be starting a bunch of upper classmen.

Having experienced players is a HUGE deal, that cannot be over looked. Think about it. We will be starting a senior for goodness sake. When is the last time we started a good senior?

Agreed. I like May's game but Griffin was better. And Henderson was a solid player at times as well

Dear God man stop. Duez averaged 7 points and 5 boards in Alfords first year. Fuller averaged 10 and 6 playing on a bad ankle half the year.

Latest posts