Can Iowa avoid the play in game?

I'm not optimistic that anything remotely resembling justice will be meted out here. Slaps on the wrists and all of these schools will be back in the top ten in a few years. It literally pays to cheat.

No way they penalize these teams because of how much the TV ratings would go down if they administered any kind of justice towards them, that includes Duke, UNC etc.

It's going to be absolutely unavoidable for the NCAA, the schools and the system to just ignore this. There is money laundering, NCAA violations, tax fraud. They are all going down.

It's going to be absolutely unavoidable for the NCAA, the schools and the system to just ignore this. There is money laundering, NCAA violations, tax fraud. They are all going down.
Oh they won't avoid it, but no way in hell do they go down, unless you were just being sarcastic?

Oh they won't avoid it, but no way in hell do they go down, unless you were just being sarcastic?
upside-down-face_1f643.png

I wasn't being sarcastic, but maybe naive. I just can't imagine this exposure being something that the institutions can sweep under a rug and everything be ok. Hey, we employ our sports Bernie Madoff - come play for us for free now.

A lot of legacy's are going down, a lot of players are going to be immediately ineligible to play and a lot of jobs in CBB are going to be open.
Won't happen. Miles Bridges will be playing basketball in an MSU uniform next week. I'll put $500 on it.

I wasn't being sarcastic, but maybe naive. I just can't imagine this exposure being something that the institutions can sweep under a rug and everything be ok. Hey, we employ our sports Bernie Madoff - come play for us for free now.
We're talking about an organization that said it was ok that UNC cheated for decades involving over 3,000 student-athletes, because regular students were also allowed to cheat. I'm sorry if my confindence in the NCAA is a little low at this time.

Reooi
Won't happen. Miles Bridges will be playing basketball in an MSU uniform next week. I'll put $500 on it.

I definitely wouldn't take that bet. But guys at Yahoo, ESPN, ABC etc seem to think these players are going to be ruled immediately ineligible. I am basing a lot of my views off what national talking heads are saying, not necessarily what I think is likely to happen.

The NCAA does not punish programs for criminal convictions. The NCAA has already allowed far worse to go unpunished @ UNC. Why would they do anything now?

Reooi

I definitely wouldn't take that bet. But guys at Yahoo, ESPN, ABC etc seem to think these players are going to be ruled immediately ineligible. I am basing a lot of my views off what national talking heads are saying, not necessarily what I think is likely to happen.
They are wrong. And if I'm one of the aforementioned programs, I am lawyering up and daring the NCAA to do something. That's what UNC did and it worked. And UNC did MUCH worse for 4 decades!

We're talking about an organization that said it was ok that UNC cheated for 2 decades involving over 3,000 student-athletes, because regular students were also allowed to cheat. I'm sorry if my confindence in the NCAA is a little low at this time.

oh for sure... I just think this is even tougher from the individual university stand point and the backlash will be pretty big. People don't like money launderers and cover ups. I can see schools trying to self impose stuff or releasing coaches with cause to get as far away from it as possible.

I am probably wrong... and I am ok with that - I just imagine this won't be as likely taken as you guys think just because things didn't happen in the past.

They are wrong. And if I'm one of the aforementioned programs, I am lawyering up and daring the NCAA to do something. That's what UNC did and it worked. And UNC did MUCH worse for 4 decades!
much worse then money laundering, tax fraud and paying players in amateur sports? I'm not about to get in the morality aspect of which is "worse" - but this seems just as bad

oh for sure... I just think this is even tougher from the individual university stand point and the backlash will be pretty big. People don't like money launderers and cover ups. I can see schools trying to self impose stuff or releasing coaches with cause to get as far away from it as possible.

I am probably wrong... and I am ok with that - I just imagine this won't be as likely taken as you guys think just because things didn't happen in the past.
Like Lightning said earlier, UNC set the precedent with the NCAA. Schools will lawyer up and give them the middle finger.

much worse then money laundering, tax fraud and paying players in amateur sports? I'm not about to get in the morality aspect of which is "worse" - but this seems just as bad
Dude, thousands of students and student-athletes were taking classes that didn't exist for decades. What exactly is a University for again?

The agents are accused of laundering money - not the players/programs
Players were getting extra benefits at UNC and not reporting the income (no players/parents ever do)
UNC conspired to defraud the Feds out of grant money for their basketball players.
UNC defrauded their own players out of the education they were contractually obligated to provide.
UNC defrauded every NCAA program by playing ineligible players for 3 decades.
UNC defrauded the people of the state of NC by paying professors for fake classes that were never taught.

Dude, thousands of students and student-athletes were taking classes that didn't exist for decades. What exactly is a University for again?

I said it was bad, but this seems bad to me too. More laws we're broken it seems, and it involves crossing state lines, money laundering and tax fraud. Plus, the FBI is involved and from what I understand, they have impeccable conviction rates. Of course the schools are all gonna fight it. That'd be like me getting arrested for something that I "could" beat in a court of law but choosing my right to a fair trial and just saying "ya caught me", give me my punishment.

I get what you guys are saying... I will believe it when I see it as well. The fact that Baylor, UNC, PSU and MSU still have athletic departments should be all we need to know. I just feel like there are going to be at least some scapegoats here.

Two words - plausible deniability - The head coaches at these elite schools establish a solid firewall between the students/families and the asst coaches/agents/athletic brands providing the "loans". The head coaches will be able to say that they had no idea these things were going on. Even if the asst coaches do cop pleas, who will the juries believe, convicted criminals or the head coaches that are universally admired?

Latest posts