Can Iowa avoid the play in game?

The agents are accused of laundering money - not the players/programs
Players were getting extra benefits at UNC and not reporting the income (no players/parents ever do)
UNC conspired to defraud the Feds out of grant money for their basketball players.
UNC defrauded their own players out of the education they were contractually obligated to provide.
UNC defrauded every NCAA program by playing ineligible players for 3 decades.
UNC defrauded the people of the state of NC by paying professors for fake classes that were never taught.

IMO this is equally as bad, more widespread and will catch bigger headlines and possibly be bigger fish to go after for lawyers. I am not arguing with either of you here. I am especially not arguing which is "worse". I am just giving my opinion. I am happy that you guys give me your views and I am no way saying or indicating you are WRONG.

Two words - plausible deniability - The head coaches at these elite schools establish a solid firewall between the students/families and the asst coaches/agents/athletic brands providing the "loans". The head coaches will be able to say that they had no idea these things were going on. Even if the asst coaches do cop pleas, who will the juries believe, convicted criminals or the head coaches that are universally admired?

I thought Pitino already tried this route?

I thought Pitino already tried this route?
True, however 1) Pitino is urging Louisville to fight the NCAA in court - I'm sure that MSU, Duke, etc. will as well 2) My main point was a legal one - it will be difficult for the head coaches to be convicted as co-conspirators.

Good point. My point was directed towards the NCAA. I could maybe see certain schools firing coaches, but places like Duke in particular surely won't.

well, I just don't know how much "stuff" they have ya know? These are a couple of pages that they are showing and it sounds like there are tons more of paper trails etc. Coach K is seems untouchable I agree, but I think I would have said that about Izzo a year ago. Now... I dunno, ya know.

True, however 1) Pitino is urging Louisville to fight the NCAA in court - I'm sure that MSU, Duke, etc. will as well 2) My main point was a legal one - it will be difficult for the head coaches to be convicted as co-conspirators.

uh yeah... absolutely. I don't see any of these coaches being convicted of much of anything, not even what I am trying to say....but I can see the schools taking action because they are crooks and will be crooks in the public eye. It still does matter a little I think. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to be tho.

I think it matters a LOT. The kids, parents, and asst coaches are going to bear the brunt of the punishment (not declaring the income - IRS, possibly money laundering, other charges), paying attorney's fees, etc. While the guys that make the big bucks go scott free.

When you see so many elite programs running into problems (money, gifts, fake classes, fake papers) year after year, fans of other programs start expecting their team to do it - because everyone else is doing it. Every once in a while you'll see people on HN advocating that IA tshould do the same thing. This is another reason it matters a lot. If the NCAA doesn't deal out some hefty sanctions - they will lose the little credibility they have left. It will give a whole new meaning to the term - "March Madness"

Oh I know I am in the minority. I am ok with it. I am positive and supportive person and well aware of it. I tend to see the good in most. I am not miserable all the time and I'm fine with it.
Just to be clear, I'm not a miserable person at all. I can call a dog turd a dog turd and not be miserable. I don't need to eat it and pretend its a Snickers to be "positive and supportive."

Just to be clear, I'm not a miserable person at all. I can call a dog turd a dog turd and not be miserable. I don't need to eat it and pretend its a Snickers to be "positive and supportive."
NoBeer: Hey, don't step in that dog turd.
InGood: That's a nice looking turd. Kinda looks like a Snickers.
NoBeer: Huh? Whatever, just don't step in it.
InGood: Actually, I'm gonna taste it. It really looks like a Snickers.
NoBeer: It's a fricken dog turd!
InGood: Dude, it doesn't taste that bad. Try it.
NoBeer: You're disgusting.
InGood: Why do you have to be so negative all the time?

so, you're not miserable but you make an analogy to another grown man that he eats dog shit on line? I know who you are don't worry.

NoBeer: Hey, don't step in that dog turd.
InGood: That's a nice looking turd. Kinda looks like a Snickers.
NoBeer: Huh? Whatever, just don't step in it.
InGood: Actually, I'm gonna taste it. It really looks like a Snickers.
NoBeer: It's a fricken dog turd!
InGood: Dude, it doesn't taste that bad. Try it.
NoBeer: You're disgusting.
InGood: Why do you have to be so negative all the time?

I'll admit - laughed pretty hard at this. NoBeer is a really cool dude, who doesn't compromise. He's not miserable. He's awesome. I'm just a dip shit who likes Iowa. Good stuff.

so, you're not miserable but you make an analogy to another grown man that he eats dog shit on line? I know who you are don't worry.
I kinda doubt it. We could grab a beer though. I'm buying. PM me if you want.

Last edited:
I kinda doubt it. We could grab a beer though. PM me if you want.

I have unpopular takes on this site. I am ok with you disagreeing with them... but no matter what I say, more times then not I get called something, told I eat shit....whatever, ya never know, maybe something cool I haven't even heard of will come at me. I'm not playing the victim, I can take it - whatever you wanna say, say. I have been on the other end, where I am just shitty to someone ...online or in person and I always feel terrible. Miserable. In my opinion, it's just got to be exhausting to be that way to people. I am sure you are a good dude, I also love beer.

Latest posts