Campos more important than ever?

Charisma doesn't get you to the NFL, Kirk does
But the question becomes if he can send them to the NFL why cant he win in college with them? In a couple years Rhoads may have the best of both worlds, I respect HawkfromNorwalk, he nailed it in his first post, Rhoads is becoming a household name. I read a very good article last night about how Ferentz is going down the same path as Fry, there was a lot of truth to it. Iowa gets talent, but for the last two seasons and this upcoming season along who knows how long, the talent is not producing in the college ranks, vintage Fry.

But the question becomes if he can send them to the NFL why cant he win in college with them?
WHAT?

Admittedly the last 2 years have been a little disappointing, but it's not yet a trend. The comment "why can't he win in college with them" is ignorant. Over the last 10 years, KF has only 1 losing season.

Iowa puts a few players in the NFL every year, but they still cannot recruit to the same level of overall depth that some schools can. Because of this, I think it's somewhat expected to see peaks and valleys.

Since 2002 KF has averaged more than 8 wins a season. Over that same time period ISU has never reached an 8-victory season. Maybe Rhoads will take them to a higher level, but I haven't seen much on the field yet to convince me he will.

WHAT?

Admittedly the last 2 years have been a little disappointing, but it's not yet a trend. The comment "why can't he win in college with them" is ignorant. Over the last 10 years, KF has only 1 losing season.

Iowa puts a few players in the NFL every year, but they still cannot recruit to the same level of overall depth that some schools can. Because of this, I think it's somewhat expected to see peaks and valleys.

Since 2002 KF has averaged more than 8 wins a season. Over that same time period ISU has never reached an 8-victory season. Maybe Rhoads will take them to a higher level, but I haven't seen much on the field yet to convince me he will.
Has he won yes, but is 7-5 and a less than stellar Big 10 conference record acceptable? He has had the two really good seasons, yes, but overall he has been 7-5 or worse more times than not in 13 seasons and the next couple years, well 6-6 will be a goal. I agree fully that Ferentz has done some wonderful things over 13 years, but lately what has he done and what will he do, you are at least 3 years away from even being competitive in the Big 10. Again Pat Harty said himself, Ferentz is heading down the path of Fry 2.0.

Has he won yes, but is 7-5 and a less than stellar Big 10 conference record acceptable? He has had the two really good seasons, yes, but overall he has been 7-5 or worse more times than not in 13 seasons and the next couple years, well 6-6 will be a goal. I agree fully that Ferentz has done some wonderful things over 13 years, but lately what has he done and what will he do, you are at least 3 years away from even being competitive in the Big 10. Again Pat Harty said himself, Ferentz is heading down the path of Fry 2.0.
First, here's some advice: Using a Pat Harty article to support your point of view is not a good idea.

Secondly, two years of results is not a trend. As I mentioned before, Iowa season results are cyclical. I'm optimistically expecting a small rebound this year.

When comparing Rhoads and KF, get back to us when Rhoads has ONE 8-win season. I really don't see it happening in 2012.

If you are a tight end or OL it is a no-brainer to come to Iowa over ISU if you are thinking of the NFL.

At least Iowa has a chance at a divisional title, and also a chance at B1G title.

Even with ISU's success I don't see them approaching a BIGXII title, hardly ever.

Doesn't make sense, from that angle, that a highly-touted in-state recruit would give ISU a sniff. No matter how much Rhoades has "turned it around"

First, here's some advice: Using a Pat Harty article to support your point of view is not a good idea.

Secondly, two years of results is not a trend. As I mentioned before, Iowa season results are cyclical. I'm optimistically expecting a small rebound this year.

When comparing Rhoads and KF, get back to us when Rhoads has ONE 8-win season. I really don't see it happening in 2012.
Pat Harty is in and around the Hawkeye football team a ton, he is a good source of knowledge.

I agree two years is not a trend, but you think your current situation is over this season? I drink the kool aid too for Iowa State, but no way does Iowa finish above 7 wins this season. I have Iowa State at 7 wins too, but their 7 wins will be more impressive than Iowa's 7 wins, if Iowa can get to 7 wins.

Quick question, what was KF's record after 3 seasons?

More delusional, Iowa football fans or Iowa State basketball fans?

Last edited:
If you are a tight end or OL it is a no-brainer to come to Iowa over ISU if you are thinking of the NFL.

At least Iowa has a chance at a divisional title, and also a chance at B1G title.

Even with ISU's success I don't see them approaching a BIGXII title, hardly ever.

Doesn't make sense, from that angle, that a highly-touted in-state recruit would give ISU a sniff. No matter how much Rhoades has "turned it around"
When is this happening? Will KF be the coach when it does happen again?

Pat Harty is in and around the Hawkeye football team a ton, he is a good source of knowledge.
Meh, I disagree.

I agree two years is not a trend, but you think you current situation is over this season?
I see 7 wins this season, maybe 8. The season after that I think Iowa has the chance to be a lot better (with the recent upward tick in recruiting) and experience gained on the d-line. I don't know what their schedule looks like for 2013 so I won't predict a record.

Quick question, what was KF's record after 3 seasons?
Some how I knew this question was coming. Yes, Rhoads has a better record than KF after 3 years. Now here's two questions in return:

Which coach had a flat record over their first 3 years and which coach saw increases in wins in years 2 and 3?

Do you think Rhoads can win 31 games in seasons 4 through 6, like KF did?

Meh, I disagree.

I see 7 wins this season, maybe 8. The season after that I think Iowa has the chance to be a lot better (with the recent upward tick in recruiting) and experience gained on the d-line. I don't know what their schedule looks like for 2013 so I won't predict a record.

Some how I knew this question was coming. Yes, Rhoads has a better record than KF after 3 years. Now here's two questions in return:

Which coach had a flat record over their first 3 years and which coach saw increases in wins in years 2 and 3?

Do you think Rhoads can win 31 games in seasons 4 through 6, like KF did?

I know Ohio State and Wisconsin are back on the schedule and Michigan will be much improved by 2013. Again will Iowa have talent, yes but what did that do for Iowa after the Orange Bowl in 2009? Iowa over the past three seasons has had talent, this may be the biggest drop off this season though. Also doesnt the attrition worry you at all?

I honestly believe the sky is the limit for Rhoads. He is a players coach and players want to play for him. He is getting interest from guys this season in recruiting that Iowa State has never had a sniff a, ever. His name and face are everywhere right now. Can he win 31 games in seasons 4 through 6, the answer is yes. If we had any sort of offensive consistency in the first half of the season last year, thats an 8 win football team. He is a solid quarterback away, IMO.

Last edited:
A legitimate question from the OP and a solid thread sure turned into a **** match fast.

I agree OP that it is a big commit for both schools and momentum in state. I am still stung that we lost Hill to Iowa. Not b/c I think he's a stud, although he may be, but b/c it was nice to get a kid from eastern Iowa who had an Iowa offer. When he decommitted we lost ground. Bevins is a kid who Iowa State would never have gotten in the past. Hopefully we can build on it.

I know Ohio State and Wisconsin are back on the schedule and Michigan will be much improved by 2013. Again will Iowa have talent, yes but what did that do for Iowa after the Orange Bowl in 2009? Iowa over the past three seasons has had talent, this may be the biggest drop off this season though. Also doesnt the attrition worry you at all?
Are you referring to the attrition on the d-line? If so, this issue has been addressed (IMO) with the departure of a certain coach. The d-line will be weak in 2012 which will likely prevent a standout season. For 2013 I think it's possible that the d-line will be a strength.

I honestly believe the sky is the limit for Rhoads. He is a players coach and players want to play for him. He is getting interest from guys this season in recruiting that Iowa State has never had a sniff a, ever. His name and face are everywhere right now. Can he win 31 games in seasons 4 through 6, the answer is yes.
Given that ISU, in their entire history, has never had a 10 win season, I cannot see them winning 31 games over the next 3 years. If Rhoads does happen to get 10 wins in one year at ISU, the sky may be the limit for him... but it will be at another school. Like it was for Earl Bruce, for example.

Also, the gap is pretty wide between "getting interest" from players and getting signed commitment letters. Iowa fans have suffered through many lean basketball years of getting interest from recruits.

Last edited:
A legitimate question from the OP and a solid thread sure turned into a **** match fast.

I agree OP that it is a big commit for both schools and momentum in state. I am still stung that we lost Hill to Iowa. Not b/c I think he's a stud, although he may be, but b/c it was nice to get a kid from eastern Iowa who had an Iowa offer. When he decommitted we lost ground. Bevins is a kid who Iowa State would never have gotten in the past. Hopefully we can build on it.
Seems like ISU has done pretty well historically with WDM Valley, so I can't 100% buy into the OP's argument that Campos is in Iowa's wheelhouse.

Also, one player (no matter how good they are) does not define who wins a turf war. What if one school gets the state's #1 rated player, but the other school gets all the players ranked #2 through #5?

Finally, a general question for ISU fans: Is in-state recruiting that important to ISU? It seems like they had their best success under Bruce and McCarney when they pulled in a lot of players from Florida.

Last edited:

I honestly believe the sky is the limit for Rhoads. He is a players coach and players want to play for him. He is getting interest from guys this season in recruiting that Iowa State has never had a sniff a, ever. His name and face are everywhere right now. Can he win 31 games in seasons 4 through 6, the answer is yes. If we had any sort of offensive consistency in the first half of the season last year, thats an 8 win football team. He is a solid quarterback away, IMO.

Wow, I just read through this whole post and cannot believe that we are even having this conversation. Debating with ISU fans about football is like debating with a young child. Rhoads was a good find and will be a decent coach. But to compare him to KF is like saying President Obama was and will be as good as Ronald Regan.

I mean cone on. Next thing you know the Clevland Cavilers will win the NBA title.

Give me a break. Doesn't ISU have their own site or do they just like "Hawking" this one.

I was reading an article by either Todd Worly or Todd Brommelkamp but the gist of it got me thinking. ISU seems to be gaining ground in the state, mostly based on the popularity of the coaches and the media darling status they are getting. Up to this point Iowa has pretty much owned in-state recruiting, and any high rated recruits either come to IC or leave the state all together. Along comes Campos, a very high rated O Lineman who, in the past, was a 100% lock to come to Iowa. However it looks like we may be in a fight for his services with our pals in Ames.

Campos fits right into Iowa's wheelhouse. With our success of sending linemen to the pros and with Brian's ascension to our new OLine coach, he should be a shoe in. I really think getting or losing Campos is a big deal as losing him could signal a shift in the state. Rhoads' charisma is already getting him facetime on ESPN, and recruits are noticing. Iowa consistently gets better talent, both in state and out of state. I don't expect the overall talent gap between the schools to get any smaller, as we still pull in big boys from out east, that said, ever since Fry's days Iowa has dominated the borders, and for the first time in many years, that domination may be threatened.

So Campos seems to me to be probably one of the most important in state recruits in years.
Rhoads has had face time on ESPN.

Several sports commentators have made very favorable comments about Iowa developing offensive lineman.

Which exposure is more valuable for recruiting purposes? Is either example really that important?

if campos decides to go to isu good for him and them. kf will go find a 2 or 3 * recruit and just build him up into a better lineman by his senior yr than campos is at the same time. the thing with iowa is that they build guys into great linemen. it isnt like they get premade stars.

heck gallery wasnt even a lineman when he came to iowa. so iowa pitches what they do and isu does the same. the kid picks and who ever he picks will be happy and the other will go find someone else. if iowa has to go and find someone else they will make that kid better than campos. if isu has to go find someone they wont make that kid better than campos. simple math as i see it.

This means virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it's not like you're getting sniffs from 4 and 5 star recruits. You're getting some sniffs from solid 3 star recruits, but the majority of your recruiting is still 2 and 3 star recruits. That's not going to win you a Big XII title, or even have you in the running. ISU is not an 8 win team. I'm sorry, but they're not. You have huge question marks on your offensive and defensive lines, and as you said QB play is a big unknown. You also have a schedule that does not equal 8 wins. You should really lower your expectations, or you will be sorely disappointed.