Campos more important than ever?

If we're going to lose an in state recruit, it probably hurts us less for the OL. It's the one position Iowa can recruit from multiple parts of the country. Kids outside the state hear Iowa and they immediately think OL and NFL. If we don't get Campos, we'll just pursue another top recruit elsewhere. Besides, even if Campos verbals to ISU, he'll more than likely switch to Iowa the day before signing his LOI.....I kid, I kid:)
Alex Kozan does not say hello.

Alex Kozan does not say hello.

No, we didn't get Kozan. We're not going to get everyone all the time, but it's clear that Iowa is consistently bumping shoulders with the "name brand" schools for the top OL talent in the country. This year's draft will once again show top recruits why they should continue to consider Iowa.

Barkley Hill.

Some things will never change. Among those things is that Iowa will always be a better and more prestigious football program than Iowa State. If an in-state or out of state recruit is faced with a choice between a scholarship to play at Iowa and one to play at ISU, then there is really no choice at all unless you don't think you are good enough to get PT at Iowa.

If Campos goes to ISU over Iowa, he is an idiot, and we wouldn't want idiots on our team anyway.

Players sign with different schools for many reasons. Program reputation, being a fan, playing time, weather, academic support, field of study, relationship with coaches, offensive and/or defensive schemes, proximity to home, etc.

Accordingly, I wouldn't put too much weight on one player's decision. For instance, the are academic programs at ISU that Iowa does not have, or that are ranked above Iowa's program in that area. Calling a kid who made a college choice on which school has a higher ranked academic program an "idiot," would be about as ironic as it gets.

One would have to half 5% of normal brain power to choose ISU over Iowa if the kid has any of the following goals (1) Compete for a Conference title (2) Go to a big time bowl game (3) regularly play on television (4) play in the NFL or (5) play at a program that does not regularly get drilled by 30+ pts 3-4 times/yr.

Additionally, what is with the charisma argument? PR goes wild a couple times a year on camera when ISU surprises someone and that somehow equals charisma? If I were a recruit, I would want to go to a school who expects to win and does not hold a press conference/pep rally after beating a team with a losing record.

One would have to half 5% of normal brain power to choose ISU over Iowa if the kid has any of the following goals (1) Compete for a Conference title (2) Go to a big time bowl game (3) regularly play on television (4) play in the NFL or (5) play at a program that does not regularly get drilled by 30+ pts 3-4 times/yr.

Additionally, what is with the charisma argument? PR goes wild a couple times a year on camera when ISU surprises someone and that somehow equals charisma? If I were a recruit, I would want to go to a school who expects to win and does not hold a press conference/pep rally after beating a team with a losing record.

But they are called STUDENT-athletes, maybe he's a farmer in training? :D

Campos is a 3 star recruit according to Scout. So it's not like we're talking about the next Blake Larsen (I mean Blake Larsen as a prospect obviously). If we lose him to ISU it would suck to lose a solid prospect, but not the end of the world. Nor do I think in anyway it is signaling a change. Rhoads has done a good job at ISU. ISU is a tough place to win consistently (which is why I still don't understand why they got rid of McCarney). I don't see ISU really getting beyond that 6, 7, maybe 8 win mark though. The Big 12 is tough and ISU will rarely have the talent to compete for a title. I expect the Iowa-ISU series to be hotly contested particularly when the games are in Ames. But if Iowa doesn't come ready to play every year and play well it is going to be tougher to beat ISU than it has been the last few years.

Couple things, Fry came from TX where you had to recruit against 3 or more in state schools, so it was a very big deal to get instate recruits and support. Also things have changed since then, college ball has a much longer reach then it did then. I would guess most programs have more out of state talent, then they used to. Iowa is on a different recruiting level then ISU. I am not saying Iowa should not go after instate talent, I am saying if that is very important to your program, you have not yet arrived.
Thing we need to do is stop the bleeding. We can preach about NFL track record, and it is impressive, but we also need to hold on to recruits and make sure the only way they walk out of IC without a degree, is if they choose to go pro early. If those two things happen, your borders are most of the time not a problem.

Last edited:
When you are OL U, you can't afford to let a 4* OL leave the state or even go to ISU. I think he is important, because 6'7" OL with skillz don't come around in Iowa all that often and Iowa needs to get him. I hope they get all the kids from Des Moines.