BUYOUTS

I have no problem with Barta thinking this summer that it was a good idea to extend Fran. I thought it was a good idea back them too.
It was completely unnecessary. Nobody was banging on the door for him to be their coach in the middle of the summer. Let him coach the season and see what happens. If we had a great season this year then we could have looked at an extension with a future looking bright. It was another bad decision and more bad business from Gary Barta.

It was completely unnecessary. Nobody was banging on the door for him to be their coach in the middle of the summer. Let him coach the season and see what happens. If we had a great season this year then we could have looked at an extension with a future looking bright. It was another bad decision and more bad business from Gary Barta.

with zero sarcasm intended, can I ask how you know there were no other schools contacting Fran about a job?

with zero sarcasm intended, can I ask how you know there were no other schools contacting Fran about a job?

I just don't know enough inside info to form an opinion on the matter. That why I don't really care too much about the extension. Especially since I know if it got really bad, Fran would be out anyway, along with Barta. The money wouldn't stop them for too long.

My theory... With Fran's kids starting college and picking Iowa, Fran wanted a 5-6 year guarantee that'll he will be the head coach here.

If he leaves and goes somewhere else, he'd get a large buyout that equates to at least 4 years grace period. Similar to the large buyouts other first year coaches are getting.

So if Fran's first priority is to coach his kids and not get fired before they are done, leaving Iowa for a new gig might make more sense.

And if Barta is convinced of the same, he might offer similar first year coach buyout money...

Just a theory.
Yes but he really hasn't done anything to deserve it. AND if his kids don't make the program markedly better then where are we 6 more years down the road with 0 to show for it.

Yes but he really hasn't done anything to deserve it. AND if his kids don't make the program markedly better then where are we 6 more years down the road with 0 to show for it.

A program that has been average for 15 years is quite a bit better off than one who has only been average for 6. So by that logic, we would still be a little better off as a program in 6 years, even if we only stay average. We will be in a better position to make that next step.

My line of thinking there was that typically basketball coaches aren’t hired in the summer. Normally they are hired shortly after the season concludes.

I just don't know enough inside info to form an opinion on the matter. That why I don't really care too much about the extension. Especially since I know if it got really bad, Fran would be out anyway, along with Barta. The money wouldn't stop them for too long.

i agree with you. and, by doing simple math, Fran needed a contract extension this season or he couldn't recruit past '18. now, whether you like barta or fran or not, you have to have your coaches extended beyond when you "think you might" fire a coach so that that coach can do the abundance of recruiting. then, you fire the coach and the incoming coach knows what he's evaluating with an incoming class and it's less work (potentially) in a smaller window of time. the incoming coach can stick with the commits or let some go that don't fit his style, but he doesn't have to recruit an entirely new class if he doesn't feel the need to.

My line of thinking there was that typically basketball coaches aren’t hired in the summer. Normally they are hired shortly after the season concludes.

ok, that is perfectly logical. doesn't mean it is what happened or didn't, but that's a logical thought.

But i'll throw this out there and that is Fran may have been thinking of moving on, on his own. with Conner now redshirting, he could follow Fran wherever and then he could still bring in Patrick. That's speculation, but it is a logical conclusion to draw, also, and barta wouldn't want to be the one scrambling, so he locked him up.

ok, that is perfectly logical. doesn't mean it is what happened or didn't, but that's a logical thought.

But i'll throw this out there and that is Fran may have been thinking of moving on, on his own. with Conner now redshirting, he could follow Fran wherever and then he could still bring in Patrick. That's speculation, but it is a logical conclusion to draw, also, and barta wouldn't want to be the one scrambling, so he locked him up.

When did Patrick officially verbal? I wonder if it lines up with when Fran and Barta struck the deal. Maybe that's why Patrick wasn't committing earlier. Becasue until that deal was struck, Fran didn't know if he would still be here or not.

Where would Fran have moved onto in the middle of the summer? I don’t think any schools had openings.

Also do you really believe that? If Fran were to jump ship don’t you think it would have been earlier when he led this team to three strait tournaments? Not the year after we missed the tournament? I mean Connor and Pat have formed relationships with the current players, why would he just pick up and go elsewhere?

When did Patrick officially verbal? I wonder if it lines up with when Fran and Barta struck the deal. Maybe that's why Patrick wasn't committing earlier. Becasue until that deal was struck, Fran didn't know if he would still be here or not.
5 Oct 2017

A program that has been average for 15 years is quite a bit better off than one who has only been average for 6. So by that logic, we would still be a little better off as a program in 6 years, even if we only stay average. We will be in a better position to make that next step.
I don't understand your logic? My point really was that I doubt the program will be in any better shape 6 years from now so WHY extend him during a shitty year just to make sure his sons stay at Iowa. There's no guarantee that those 2 will be good or great (which is what we need) ball players.

ha...good point. i really don't remember, but i thought it was over the summer. and, that would still line up with Fran taking barta at his word.

Where would Fran have moved onto in the middle of the summer? I don’t think any schools had openings.

Also do you really believe that? If Fran were to jump ship don’t you think it would have been earlier when he led this team to three strait tournaments? Not the year after we missed the tournament? I mean Connor and Pat have formed relationships with the current players, why would he just pick up and go elsewhere?

if fran was thinking of moving on after this season, then barta would have a lame duck coach on the recruiting trail. perhaps Joe Weiskamp considers de-committing? this is all speculation, one way or the other, because neither barta or fran has given any details and they won't.

You're comparing apples and oranges with those contracts which you are probably already aware of.

Well, it's still relevant to compare them. I'm not saying the buyout amount was a wise decision but that we shouldn't go after Barta with pitchforks and torches cause it's not out of the norm as we first thought.

Well, it's still relevant to compare them. I'm not saying the buyout amount was a wise decision but that we shouldn't go after Barta with pitchforks and torches cause it's not out of the norm as we first thought.

It's way out of the norm. That's why it's getting criticized by anyone and everyone who sees it.

if fran was thinking of moving on after this season, then barta would have a lame duck coach on the recruiting trail. perhaps Joe Weiskamp considers de-committing? this is all speculation, one way or the other, because neither barta or fran has given any details and they won't.
Why would he move on after this season with Connor already enrolled at Iowa? Connor would have to sit out an additional college season if he wanted to transfer and play with his dad and brother, not to mention Fran would have to find a school with a quality baseball program that wanted Connor. That seems like quite the stretch, not to mention our 2018 recruiting class was already finished.

I think it’s far more likely that this was just a bad contract offered by Gary Barta.

Latest posts