BUYOUTS

My theory... With Fran's kids starting college and picking Iowa, Fran wanted a 5-6 year guarantee that'll he will be the head coach here.

If he leaves and goes somewhere else, he'd get a large buyout that equates to at least 4 years grace period. Similar to the large buyouts other first year coaches are getting.

So if Fran's first priority is to coach his kids and not get fired before they are done, leaving Iowa for a new gig might make more sense.

And if Barta is convinced of the same, he might offer similar first year coach buyout money...

Just a theory.

If he leaves for another job he doesn't get that buyout. The buyout is in the case he gets fired which fans will want after next year and now it won't be able to happen.

Exactly. If I say we flip a coin and if I win you owe me $1 dollar and if you win I owe you $2 that's a bad deal regardless if the money involved isn't that great. If I offered you that deal and wasn't joking around, people would rightfully think I was an idiot.

Barta is not going to pay over 9 million to fire Fran next year.
If Iowa has another season like this next year, which, isn't even over so who knows....but it's not gonna end with post-season play
Barta won't be doing the firing period....and 9 million seems like a lot to us common folk, probably not to an institution that literally prints their own money. If it's a bad as it is now 2 years in a row - Iowa will gladly pay 9 million to get rid of that.

If Iowa has another season like this next year, which, isn't even over so who knows....but it's not gonna end with post-season play
Barta won't be doing the firing period....and 9 million seems like a lot to us common folk, probably not to an institution that literally prints their own money. If it's a bad as it is now 2 years in a row - Iowa will gladly pay 9 million to get rid of that.

We're stuck with Fran after next year no matter what happens. Barta made that obvious with his buyout in his contract extension.

We're stuck with Fran after next year no matter what happens. Barta made that obvious with his buyout in his contract extension.

No, Barta sealed his fate with the contract extension. He put it all on Fran being good - if he's not, he won't be around. It's not that difficult to get really. This might lead to what everyone wants, Barta getting canned.. Iowa is not short on $$ unless you are saying they are?

No, Barta sealed his fate with the contract extension. He put it all on Fran being good - if he's not, he won't be around. It's not that difficult to get really. This might lead to what everyone wants, Barta getting canned.. Iowa is not short on $$ unless you are saying they are?

I'm not going to pretend to know if there is enough money to pay for a 9 million buyout for Fran and then a buyout for a new coach to replace to him.

If he leaves for another job he doesn't get that buyout. The buyout is in the case he gets fired which fans will want after next year and now it won't be able to happen.

Just to clarify, "the buyout he would get" I don't mean a payout from leaving Iowa. Just whatever buyout is in a contract with a new school.

As was pointed out at the start of the thread, new coach contacts include buyouts that are a lot larger than for existing coaches getting extensions. For various reasons.

Let's see, Rutgers' Steve Pikiell has a $14.35 million buyout. Indiana's Archie Miller has a $20.25 million buyout. Mark Turgeon's is $15.8 million one. tOSU's Chris Holtmann's is $21.5 mill.

Fran may have opted for a larger buyout from another school then a shorter buyout to remain. Considering his kids are starting college, Fran might have seen it a good time to hit the reset button and at least get stability for the next 4 years.

Not saying he's entitled to this. But if Barta were to believe Fran would leave under these circumstances, that's part of negotiating...

Fran for 5 years or start looking for a new coach today... One that will then expect large buyout money.

I hate to say this but I hope the fans wise up and stop going to CHA. I hope they have to play in front of an empty arena. That's the sort of humiliation and dent in the AD budget, that it's going to take

I'm in Omaha. Seriously considering going to the game tomorrow with a #FireBarta sign with the directors cup results on it.

I totally get what @InGoodCo is saying here, but I'm skeptical that Gary would be fired. I'm starting to actually wonder if Gary is related to a Clinton and I'm not referring to the lady's basketball fan.

I couldn't disagree more. How you do things matter. Do you have kids? I do. What would you think if your child hid their bad report card from you hoping for a good day to spring it on you and then you heard from another parent that report cards were sent home and you asked your kid about theirs and they said its in their room, and made you go find it?

Before you tear apart my metaphor saying raising a kid is not the same thing as running an athletic department I would defend by saying the reason you would be upset with your child is that they were attempting to deceive you and that deceit is not a moral characteristic you support.

This athletic department attempted to hide something that is ultimately public record. That is deceit.

I'm not going to tear you apart for it becasue it's actually pretty good. My only thing to add to it would be if the kid told you he had a chance to improve on that grade and was waiting to tell you until that chance. A parent would be furious at first. But with that explanation, it would make you less furious because he actually had an understandable reason.

It’s a two part problem.

Number one it’s probably a bad deal. Why extend a coach who almost made the tournament? Look what can happen in relatively quick fashion in college b-ball. Kind of goes back to what we discussed recently about how are athletic department doesn’t demand success. Built in Extensions for making the tournament? Shouldn’t we be expecting the dance most years?

The second part is not realeasing it to the public. Why? Obviously they hoped Iowa would right the ship this year and they could release it when the team was having success. That was a big miscalculation. Clearly they knew people would be upset with the deal. If your fan base isn’t happy with a deal is it a good deal? They must have known that this would come out due to the FOIA request. Why not get out in front of this thing? The easy answer to that one is that GB inept at his job.

If it doesn’t offend you personally that they didn’t release the information that’s fine, others don’t appreciate that sort of thing. Either way it’s a bad deal (even if the numbers aren’t that astronomical).

The first part of the problem, I don't have a dog in that fight. I think it was dumb, but I really don't care about the University's budget.

The second part, I understand people being pissed, and I don't think I was clear on my thoughts earlier. My point is, everyone should have been pissed right away. It looked like they came to an agreement right after the worst week of Iowa basketball since Lick. Not only that, if they didn't tell us right then, it was obvious that they knew it was a shitty deal while they were coming to it. That's reason to be irate.

But what actually happened was only bad, and not horribly terrible. The level of pissed off should die down with the full timeline. A lot of people can't do that. If something pisses someone off bad, then facts come out to make it not quite as bad, they can't adjust their level of pissed offness to suit how bad the offense actually ended up being.

To me, Barta and Fran coming to an agreement over summer, then having to wait to finalize the agreement do to health reasons, then the team going through a rough stretch during the signing time, then deciding to wait to announce until what you think will be a short lived funk is over, isn't near as bad as Barta and Fran coming to an agreement in November and knowing while they are coming to it that fans will be pissed off, so they just blow off telling everyone. It's just a big difference to me negotiating an agreement that you know fans will hate, and negotiating an agreement, but not being able to finalize it until later. And when that later comes, things changed for the worst. One way is malicious and the other way is bad timing coupled with a bad (but understandable) decision.

The buyout in hiring a new coach is meaningless for the first couple of years anyway. The buyout could be $100 mill for a new coach. He’s not going to be fired for at least two years — maybe three.

Giving a coach a 10 million buyout for average results for year 9 and 9 million in year 10 is Beyond ridiculous. That’s when you say, “no” as your bargaining chip and not “how much do you want?” as the start point.

If Barta has that much faith in Fran then he doesn’t need to show it in outlandish buyouts and if Fran has that much faith in himself and Barta then he wouldn’t demand it.

Demonstrate your faith by your accomplishments.

The first part of the problem, I don't have a dog in that fight. I think it was dumb, but I really don't care about the University's budget.
Again it’s not about the money!! It’s about rewarding mediocrity. If you’re an Iowa fan you do have a dog in the fight.

Again it’s not about the money!! It’s about rewarding mediocrity. If you’re an Iowa fan you do have a dog in the fight.

I have no problem with Barta thinking this summer that it was a good idea to extend Fran. I thought it was a good idea back them too.

I have no problem with Barta thinking this summer that it was a good idea to extend Fran. I thought it was a good idea back them too.
I didn’t. I thought it was fine to “let it ride” but I didn’t think an extension was merited let alone necessary.

Latest posts