BUYOUTS

It's way out of the norm. That's why it's getting criticized by anyone and everyone who sees it.

What's the norm? I rolled out other coaches' buyouts that are larger than Fran's. I know they're not exact comparisons yet they're college basketball coaches' buyouts. Is Fran's the norm, out of the norm, or "way out of the norm"? How is that measured exactly?

I now know of at least 4 multi millionaire boosters that would gladly pledge a few million each for a big name coach.

I have said it before and will say it again. Buyout or not, this is the time to let Fran go. There won't be any open B1G coaching positions this year except maybe MSU and small possibility of Minnesota. We need to move before they do. We need to bring a big name. Wieskamp will stay at Iowa no matter what. If we bring in a new coach he will have a whole recruiting cycle to fill Patrick's spot. If we wait, Bohannon's class will be graduated before a new coach could even get settled and we would have at least 3 empty spots from Connor, Patrick and Fredrickson. Now is the time. This is just and X's and O's equation.

What's the norm? I rolled out other coaches' buyouts that are larger than Fran's. I know they're not exact comparisons yet they're college basketball coaches' buyouts. Is Fran's the norm, out of the norm, or "way out of the norm"? How is that measured exactly?

I can't think of a single college coach who got his buyout more than doubled in a losing season following a season where they missed the Tournament. That's the problem. You comparing successful and/or new coaches contracts to Fran's doesn't justify anything because his situation is entirely different.

I now know of at least 4 multi millionaire boosters that would gladly pledge a few million each for a big name coach.

I have said it before and will say it again. Buyout or not, this is the time to let Fran go. There won't be any open B1G coaching positions this year except maybe MSU and small possibility of Minnesota. We need to move before they do. We need to bring a big name. Wieskamp will stay at Iowa no matter what. If we bring in a new coach he will have a whole recruiting cycle to fill Patrick's spot. If we wait, Bohannon's class will be graduated before a new coach could even get settled and we would have at least 3 empty spots from Connor, Patrick and Fredrickson. Now is the time. This is just and X's and O's equation.

Well, there are two questions. Should we keep Fran? And if we keep Fran, what should the buyout be?

I'm not surprised we are keeping Fran. But yes, his track record could justify Iowa moving on at this point.

AD's I think have an inherit conflict of interest. A bad hire, an AD can lose his job. Multiple bad hires, and he's gone for sure. Better to ride average performance for as long as possible. Don't be forced into a coaching hire unless no other choice, because it's probably the #1 reason an AD can lose their job.

In this sense, I think Barta might be more worried about Fran leaving then the other way around. Locking up both BB and FB head coaches long term is like a long term extension for Barta too. Do AD's ever get fired for any other reason?

Well, there are two questions. Should we keep Fran? And if we keep Fran, what should the buyout be?

I'm not surprised we are keeping Fran. But yes, his track record could justify Iowa moving on at this point.

AD's I think have an inherit conflict of interest. A bad hire, an AD can lose his job. Multiple bad hires, and he's gone for sure. Better to ride average performance for as long as possible. Don't be forced into a coaching hire unless no other choice, because it's probably the #1 reason an AD can lose their job.

In this sense, I think Barta might be more worried about Fran leaving then the other way around. Locking up both BB and FB head coaches long term is like a long term extension for Barta too. Do AD's ever get fired for any other reason?

Barta is dumber than I thought if he is worried about Fran leaving. Where would he go?

I can't think of a single college coach who got his buyout more than doubled in a losing season following a season where they missed the Tournament. That's the problem. You comparing successful and/or new coaches contracts to Fran's doesn't justify anything because his situation is entirely different.

They signed the buyout as the season was just beginning this year. I don't think anyone, including Barta, Fran, most of us on HN (including you most likely) thought it would go this bad. Rutgers' buyout is more than Iowa's and it's unlikely they'll be great anytime soon thus leaving it probably higher or in the same neighborhood as Iowa's. OSU's buyout is much larger than Iowa's yet OSU was 7-11 in the B1G last year and had not been great the few years before then.

New coaches with twice as high of buyouts as Iowa = Fran's new buyout in terms of financial risk.

They signed the buyout as the season was just beginning this year. I don't think anyone, including Barta, Fran, most of us on HN (including you most likely) thought it would go this bad. Rutgers' buyout is more than Iowa's and it's unlikely they'll be great anytime soon thus leaving it probably higher or in the same neighborhood as Iowa's. OSU's buyout is much larger than Iowa's yet OSU was 7-11 in the B1G last year and had not been great the few years before then.

New coaches with twice as high of buyouts as Iowa = Fran's new buyout in terms of financial risk.

You can't compare new coaches buyouts to Fran's. Well I guess you can but it makes you look dense.

All the more reason to get this done at the end of the season rather than the beginning. Great way to look really smart or really stupid depending on what transpires and how it plays out.

You can't compare new coaches buyouts to Fran's. Well I guess you can but it makes you look dense.

It's possible both Fran and the Rutgers' coach could be fired by 2020. Or, maybe Fran could be fired in 2019, the Rutgers' coach in 2020. Both would have a buyout roughly the same wouldn't they?

The point is, all contracts with buyouts come with a level of risk to them and the immediate reaction to Fran's was over the top. Perhaps you're right that Iowa's has a higher risk but it's not as much as you apparently think.

It's possible both Fran and the Rutgers' coach could be fired by 2020. Or, maybe Fran could be fired in 2019, the Rutgers' coach in 2020. Both would have a buyout roughly the same wouldn't they?

The point is, all contracts with buyouts come with a level of risk to them and the immediate reaction to Fran's was over the top. Perhaps you're right that Iowa's has a higher risk but it's not as much as you apparently think.
It is NOT the same. I don't know why you can't get that through your skull. The normal length of rope you give a new coach who has to get his own recruits and implement his system is not the same as the length of rope you give a guy in year 8. Everyone else can see that.

It is NOT the same. I don't know why you can't get that through your skull. The normal length of rope you give a new coach who has to get his own recruits and implement his system is not the same as the length of rope you give a guy in year 8. Everyone else can see that.

It's how many years out from now that's relevant on this point when it comes to buy outs. All coaches have contracts that go out at least four years out and have buyouts. A new coach could be fired in three years as could Fran from here on out. It's not that hard to understand.

I didn't say that there isn't any difference in the point about new coaches compared to Fran. But please don't tell me there's no relevance at all in this discussion when these other coaches have buyouts twice as big as Fran's. I mean please.

Tell them to pool their money and pledge to buy Barta out!

There is no other program to compare this to. That's the problem. No AD at any other P5 program, would hand out this contract extension/buy out.

Tell them to pool their money and pledge to buy Barta out!

That would be a much tougher sell to this crowd. I still don't encounter much dissent from Barta with the few big boosters that I know. Most of them feel ok with Fran, but would jump at a big name to replace him.

That would be a much tougher sell to this crowd. I still don't encounter much dissent from Barta with the few big boosters that I know. Most of them feel ok with Fran, but would jump at a big name to replace him.
Fools and their money....

Fools and their money....

Lol. The ones I know are all of an older crowd. They accumulated their wealth over a lifetime. I believe they consider Barta to be a member of the good ole boys club. Unfortunately I don't know any younger aggressive money boosters. I wonder if their views are any different.

Lol. The ones I know are all of an older crowd. They accumulated their wealth over a lifetime. I believe they consider Barta to be a member of the good ole boys club. Unfortunately I don't know any younger aggressive money boosters. I wonder if their views are any different.
I know several younger, wealthy supporters. I don't know how much money they give to the AD, as I have never asked them. I have been reaching out to a few of them, to preach about how they might better spend their money but ultimately, it's up to them. I'll run into a lot more of them this summer, on the water. That's when I'll get the most out of my preaching.

Latest posts