Build your best O from KF Era

I don't agree that CJ should obviously be above Banks or even arguably level with him. He was a fine QB and I loved watching him, but he just was not on Banks' level. And it wasn't just the receivers.

CJ passed for more yards than Banks did in 2002, even without the extra game, and had definitely the most underutilized receiver in Iowa history in Tevaun Smith. But his decision-making, while good, could not match Banks'. Brad had a ridiculous 157.1 passer rating in 2002, the best in the nation.

Kinda surprising how many people have omitted Steinbach on the offensive line. 2 time 1st team All B1G. He was the best OL in the B1G in 2002 year and was a good pro for a long time. Some don't even have him on the reserve list.

And no love for Mo Brown? When healthy he was probably the best WR of the KF era.

Anyone who doesn't have Steinbach on their o-line list is not fit to participate in discussions about the Iowa offense ever again.

OT Gallery, Sherrf
OG Blythe, Bruce Nelson
C Steinbach
QB Banks
RB Shonn Green
FB Edgar Cervantes
TE Dallas Clark, Hockenson
WR Mo Brown
WR Marvin Mcnutt

Reserves: Jermelle lewis, James daniels, Hinkel, Fant, Stanzi

You cannot put Banks ahead of Beathard. You just can't. Beathard with good receivers would have set records that would never have been broken. Frankly, put beathard on that 2002 team and Iowa might have won the national championship, assuming you get a healthy Beathard.

No way in hell. Banks gives so much more dimension to the offense. Sure CJ could "scramble" but Banks could run.

Not a lot of love for DJK either. While McNutt probably put together the best career at WR, DJK was the best WR I think Iowa has had. He could literally do it all, he could run every route, deep threat, catch screens, run after the catch, score, incredible feel for the first down line, return kicks, showed up in big games.

The game at Northwestern in that wind where he gave up in frustration will be my last memory of DJK. That team had so much hype going into the season and laid an egg and DJK throwing his arms up when Ferentz made O'Keefe call for a deep pass into a stiff wind summarized that season well.

QB- Banks
RB- Greene
FB- Morse
WR- McNutt
WR- Solomon
TE- Hockenson
TE- Clark
LT- Gallery
LG- Scherff
C- Nelson
RG- Yanda
RT- Bulaga

Reserves- Fant, Hinkel, Stanzi, Wadley, Blythe

OL was tough to pick

RB Wadley seems like a good bet at backup, but man, Coker was really good.

RB Wadley seems like a good bet at backup, but man, Coker was really good.
I'm still upset about how Coker was treated. He was so much fun to watch. Wasn't gonna outrun most people, but if you tried to tackle him, you were gonna feel it the next day.

Also thought of adding Sam Brownlee just for superstition's sake.

I'd put Greene as starter at RB, but I think I'd take Russell over Wadley as the backup

The game at Northwestern in that wind where he gave up in frustration will be my last memory of DJK. That team had so much hype going into the season and laid an egg and DJK throwing his arms up when Ferentz made O'Keefe call for a deep pass into a stiff wind summarized that season well.

I'll hang onto ~20 incredible DJK memories/catches/touchdowns, but I can forget about this one.

I will go with award winners.

OT: Gallery and Scherff. Did they both win the Outland? If not, they were finalists.
OG: Steinbach And Yanda
C: who was closer to winning the Rimmington? Nelson? Daniels? Blythe? My guess is Nelson. Daniels had more athletic ability and apparently not very close. Nelson was team captain and leader for that amazing OL for that amazing 2002 team. I will stay there.
RB: Greene won the Doak Walker.
TE: Clark and Hock both won The Mackey.
QB: Banks was Heisman Runner-up.
WR: McNutt - “7 got 6!”
WR: Hinkel - how many TD’s did he score laying out horizontally? I remember at least 3 and one time he did it one-handed!

On second thought, I think your roster is pretty close. The only change I'd make is swapping out Woodbury for Bulaga. Bulaga was a little iffy at times under the basket so I had to give the edge to Woody.

But other than that you're right on.
Would be nice having someone poke eyes under the pile...

You cannot put Banks ahead of Beathard. You just can't. Beathard with good receivers would have set records that would never have been broken. Frankly, put beathard on that 2002 team and Iowa might have won the national championship, assuming you get a healthy Beathard.
Brad Banks was a Heisman runner-up. You have got to be kidding me.

I think nobody else is going to do it, so I am going to send a little love to Iowa's all time leader in total receptions.....

Kevonte Martin-Manley

KMM should at least be a reserve on the all time Ferentz team.
Could be, but I’d also take multiple WR before him. KMM is the all time receptions leader because he played WR in Greg Davis’s dink and dump dogshit offense where Guys like DJK or McNutt probably would have been doing the same thing. Other than Pitt 2011 what big plays did KMM make in big games? We all know how many Big plays DJK and MM made in Big games on Big stages.

Not including a FB? Do you guys even Iowa Football?

Here's my 2 deep

QB- Tate, Banks
RB- Greene, Wadley
FB- Busch, Cervantes
TE- Hock, Fant
OL- Gallery, Reiff
OL- Scherff, Blythe
C- Nelson, Daniels
OL- Yanda, Steinbach
OL- Bulaga, Wirfs

DE- Roth, Kampmann
DT- King, Cole
DT- Babineaux, Ballard
DE- Clayborn, Eppy
LB- Jewell, Angerer
LB- Greenway, Hodge
LB- Kirksey, Hitchens
CB- King, Jackson
CB- Spivey, Johnson
S- Sanders, Considine
S- Hooker, Sash

Yes I just chose two HB due to FB not being highly known lol

I meant to say two tight ends rather than two tailbacks. Had a brain fart.. I never could proofread my own writing. I always read what I thought I was going to write, instead of what I actually did write.

Reasons why you can: both QBs best years

Banks(02): 2573 yards
CJ (15): 2809 yards EDGE
BB: 26 TDs 5 INTs (4.1 TD/INTr)
CJ: 17 TDs 5 INTs (
Not a lot of love for DJK either. While McNutt probably put together the best career at WR, DJK was the best WR I think Iowa has had. He could literally do it all, he could run every route, deep threat, catch screens, run after the catch, score, incredible feel for the first down line, return kicks, showed up in big games.
I chose DJK

Question for the majority of you who are including Yanda--

Am I misremembering how good he was as a college player? I'm thinking he's probably no better than 8th/9th/10th best OL of the Ferentz era, seemed to be "deserving" of being a 3rd round pick, and has had a far better pro career than we could have anticipated back in '07. Am I way off base?

I don't mean this be an hit on Yanda. He was really good; I'm just remembering (maybe misremembering) a number of others as being better collegiate players.

Latest posts