Build your best O from KF Era

Question for the majority of you who are including Yanda--

Am I misremembering how good he was as a college player? I'm thinking he's probably no better than 8th/9th/10th best OL of the Ferentz era, seemed to be "deserving" of being a 3rd round pick, and has had a far better pro career than we could have anticipated back in '07. Am I way off base?

I don't mean this be an hit on Yanda. He was really good; I'm just remembering (maybe misremembering) a number of others as being better collegiate players.

I think you're probably remembering things fairly accurately. I believe he was a 2nd team All B1G selection as a SR. I think most of us could rattle off at least 5-8 guys who were better college players. One thing that was working against him: his SR season (2006) was a train wreck season at Iowa. He may have been overlooked a bit.

But of all of the KF era players on either side of the ball he's had by far the best pro career. 6 time All Pro (2x 1st teams & 4x 2nd teams). That's HOF level.

I think you're probably remembering things fairly accurately. I believe he was a 2nd team All B1G selection as a SR. I think most of us could rattle off at least 5-8 guys who were better college players. One thing that was working against him: his SR season (2006) was a train wreck season at Iowa. He may have been overlooked a bit.

But of all of the KF era players on either side of the ball he's had by far the best pro career. 6 time All Pro (2x 1st teams & 4x 2nd teams). That's HOF level.
Easily the best interior lineman in the NFL for the past decade. Had a ridiculous streak of something like 5 years without a sack given up. Honestly he may be a first-ballot guy.

No way in hell. Banks gives so much more dimension to the offense. Sure CJ could "scramble" but Banks could run.

I'm torn on this. Clearly these guys are 1-2, in some order. Based on the runner-up Heisman, and great childhood memories of that team, I think you probably put Banks as the starter.

But to an extent, this becomes a matter of debating eras. Do you think QBs like Banks would be as good in today's game? I'm not saying he wasn't a ridiculously talented athlete, but the QB position, and market talent level, has remarkable evolution over the last 15-20 years. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe this doesn't even have to be a part of the debate. But for the sake of this conversation, it's interesting to think of "vintage" QBs versus guys from the modern game.

Also, if you go back and watch CJB's highlights, he had a lot of big plays running the ball and 10 career rushing TDs. Either way, I think this is somewhat a testament to the fact that Iowa hasn't had that great of lineage of QBs under Ferentz. I love all the guys we're discussing. Shoutout to Tate, Stanzi, Vandeberg, and last but not least, Stanley (who could break the all time career TD record this year). Beathard is the only one who has really played in the NFL.

I'm torn on this. Clearly these guys are 1-2, in some order. Based on the runner-up Heisman, and great childhood memories of that team, I think you probably put Banks as the starter.

But to an extent, this becomes a matter of debating eras. Do you think QBs like Banks would be as good in today's game? I'm not saying he wasn't a ridiculously talented athlete, but the QB position, and market talent level, has remarkable evolution over the last 15-20 years. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe this doesn't even have to be a part of the debate. But for the sake of this conversation, it's interesting to think of "vintage" QBs versus guys from the modern game.

Also, if you go back and watch CJB's highlights, he had a lot of big plays running the ball and 10 career rushing TDs. Either way, I think this is somewhat a testament to the fact that Iowa hasn't had that great of lineage of QBs under Ferentz. I love all the guys we're discussing. Shoutout to Tate, Stanzi, Vandeberg, and last but not least, Stanley (who could break the all time career TD record this year). Beathard is the only one who has really played in the NFL.
I get what you're saying, but I think it's tough to consider Banks a "vintage" QB. He was a Pro-Style QB through and through. People like to remember him as a 100% dual threat, and he certainly could move, but he made his money through the air, with excellent decision-making and poise. He "only" had around 400 rushing yards in 2002, so he still was very much a pass-first guy.

Banks had one epic year, and it was damn near a Heisman worthy year. However I'm not sure I'm ready to anoint him the best QB of the Ferentz era. Stanzi, CJ, and even Stanley have all put up numbers over multiple years when healthy.

I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them. I will say that Stanzi throwing to McNutt and DJK was a thing of beauty. I bet Stanley would kill for those WR's

I get what you're saying, but I think it's tough to consider Banks a "vintage" QB. He was a Pro-Style QB through and through. People like to remember him as a 100% dual threat, and he certainly could move, but he made his money through the air, with excellent decision-making and poise. He "only" had around 400 rushing yards in 2002, so he still was very much a pass-first guy.

I spent my childhood in the backyard running around, trying to be like Brad Banks. I get it. I only mean that CFB offenses have evolved a lot in 15 years. Not saying Iowa's has gotten better...

Why is CJ in the NFL and Banks never got a sniff? Banks played behind the best OL in Iowa history. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It's not just about stats.
Height, mainly, the stigma against short QBs was much stronger in Banks' day. Drew Brees wouldn't break out until he made it to the Saints, and Russell Wilson was a decade away. Plus, Brad was probably closer to 5'10" than he was 6'.

Also, CJ had a ton of NFL connections already. He made it on his own merits, sure, but he definitely had help.

An extended version of “best of” the last 20 years of under coach Ferentz. I went a little overboard with it. I tried not to leave too many out and attempt to remember what positions they played.

FIRST TEAM

OFFENSE

QB: Brad Banks
LT: Robert Gallery
G: Eric Steinbeck
C: Bruce Nelson
G: Marshall Yanda
RT: Brandon Scherff
HB: Shonn Greene
HB: Akrum Wadley
FB: Bret Morse
TE: Dallas Clark
TE: T. J. Hockenson
SE: Derrell Johnson-Koulianous
WR: Marvin McNutt

P: Jason Baker
K: Nate Kaeding

SECOND TEAM

OFFENSE

QB: C. J. Beathard
LT: Riley Reiff
G: James Daniels
C: Austin Blythe
G: Andy Lightfoot
RT: Byran Bulaga
HB: Ladell Betts
HB: Fred Russell
FB: Edger Cervantes
TE: George Kittle
TE: Noah Fant
SE: Mo Brown
WR: Kevin Kasper

P: Ryan Donahue
K: Daniel Murray

THIRD TEAM

OFFENSE

QB: Drew Tate
LT: Pete McMahon
G: Adam Gettis
C: Brian Ferentz
G: Ike Boettger
RT: Andrew Donnel, Ben Sobieski, Cole Croston
HB: Marcus Coker
HB: Albert Young
FB: Tom Bush, Mark Weisman
TE: Tony Moeaki
TE: C. J. Federowitz
SE: Kahlil Hill, Clinton Soloman
WR: Ed Hinkel, C.J. Jones

P: Dillon Kid
K: Mike Meyer

FOURTH TEAM

OFFENSE

QB: Ricky Stanzi
LT: Lee Gray
G: Julian VanderVelde, Dace Richardson
C: Rob Bruggerman, James Ferentz
G: Mike Jones, Seth Olsen
RT: Kyle Calloway, Bret Van Sloten, Markus Zusevics
HB: Brandon Wegher, Jermelle Lewis
HB: Leshun Daniels, Jordan Canzeri
FB: Macon Plewa
TE: Scott Chandler
TE: Brandon Meyers
SE: Tavaun Smith, Riley McCarron
WR: Kevonte Martin-Manley, Nick Easley

P: Eric Guthrie, Ron Coluzzi
K: Kyle Schlicker, Marshall Koehn

Last edited:
You cannot put Banks ahead of Beathard. You just can't. Beathard with good receivers would have set records that would never have been broken. Frankly, put beathard on that 2002 team and Iowa might have won the national championship, assuming you get a healthy Beathard.

No. Banks could just make it happen.

Iowa D couldnt stop USC 2nd half. Hand Banks started the year before likely not an ISU loss and in a different game.

T-Galley
T-Scheriff (played tackle at iowa, guard in nfl)
G-yanda
G-Steinbach
C-James Daniels
TE1-Hock
TE2-Clark
WR1-Mcnutt
WR2-Clinton Solomon
RB- Greene (1st half), Wadley (2nd half)
QB- Drew Tate

K-Nate Kaeding
P- Ron Coluzzi

Returner- King/hinkle

Honorable mentions- Stanzi, Blythe, KMM, Bulaga, Tony Mo, DjK, Ed hinkle, Fred russel
correct, coluzzi's year with us was ridiculous. you could make an argument he was our mvp that year. he was stupid good.

An extended version of “best of” the last 20 years of under coach Ferentz. I went a little overboard with it. I tried not to leave too many out and attempt to remember what positions they played.

FIRST TEAM

OFFENSE

QB: Brad Banks
LT: Robert Gallery
G: Eric Steinbeck
C: Bruce Nelson
G: Marshall Yanda
RT: Brandon Scherff
HB: Shonn Greene
HB: Akrum Wadley
FB: Bret Morse
TE: Dallas Clark
TE: T. J. Hockenson
SE: Derrell Johnson-Koulianous
WR: Marvin McNutt

P: Jason Baker
K: Nate Kaeding

SECOND TEAM

OFFENSE

QB: C. J. Beathard
LT: Riley Reiff
G: James Daniels
C: Austin Blythe
G: Andy Lightfoot
RT: Byran Bulaga
HB: Ladell Betts
HB: Fred Russell
FB: Edger Cervantes
TE: George Kittle
TE: Noah Fant
SE: Mo Brown
WR: Kevin Kasper

P: Ryan Donahue
K: Daniel Murray

THIRD TEAM

OFFENSE

QB: Drew Tate
LT: Pete McMahon
G: Adam Gettis
C: Brian Ferentz
G: Ike Boettger
RT: Andrew Donnel, Ben Sobieski, Cole Croston
HB: Marcus Coker
HB: Albert Young
FB: Tom Bush, Mark Weisman
TE: Tony Moeaki
TE: C. J. Federowitz
SE: Kahlil Hill, Clinton Soloman
WR: Ed Hinkel, C.J. Jones

P: Dillon Kid
K: Mike Meyer

FOURTH TEAM

OFFENSE

QB: Ricky Stanzi
LT: Lee Gray
G: Julian VanderVelde, Dace Richardson
C: Rob Bruggerman, James Ferentz
G: Mike Jones, Seth Olsen
RT: Kyle Calloway, Bret Van Sloten, Markus Zusevics
HB: Brandon Wegher, Jermelle Lewis
HB: Leshun Daniels, Jordan Canzeri
FB: Macon Plewa
TE: Scott Chandler
TE: Brandon Meyers
SE: Tavaun Smith, Riley McCarron
WR: Kevonte Martin-Manley, Nick Easley

P: Eric Guthrie, Ron Coluzzi
K: Kyle Schlicker, Marshall Koehn

Added Nick Easley to the fourth team offense.

Latest posts