BTN question?

BigD

Did I miss their (BTN) visit to Iowa City and if not does anyone know which day it will be on?

I will add here that I watched a rebroadcast if the Mississippi State game on ESPNU on Thursday night and by the end of the first half I was getting excited for this season.

Not so much after the second half as the offense tried to give the game away. The game turning play for Iowa was the fluke Iowa interception in the end zone as the MSU player bobbled a wide open pass right in his hands for a sure TD that would have given them more than a one touchdown lead. Instead he bobbled it right into the hands of one of our players. Up until that point our offense was comatose. Also our tight-end (awarded as best in college football) was furious that he wasn’t getting the ball. Finally Brian must have found the tight-end portion of his playbook as Iowa finally threw the ball to him and moved the ball.

Let’s hope we finally get the ball to our best players this year or it’s going to be the same ole same ole. The defense should stellar this season. The offense? God only knows. I think the players are there to make things happen if only the coaches will get the hell out of the way.

I will add here that I watched a rebroadcast if the Mississippi State game on ESPNU on Thursday night and by the end of the first half I was getting excited for this season.

Not so much after the second half as the offense tried to give the game away. The game turning play for Iowa was the fluke Iowa interception in the end zone as the MSU player bobbled a wide open pass right in his hands for a sure TD that would have given them more than a one touchdown lead. Instead he bobbled it right into the hands of one of our players. Up until that point our offense was comatose. Also our tight-end (awarded as best in college football) was furious that he wasn’t getting the ball. Finally Brian must have found the tight-end portion of his playbook as Iowa finally threw the ball to him and moved the ball.

Let’s hope we finally get the ball to our best players this year or it’s going to be the same ole same ole. The defense should stellar this season. The offense? God only knows. I think the players are there to make things happen if only the coaches will get the hell out of the way.

Good grief. Did we win the game? I better go back and be sure...thought we did.

The interception was not a fluke. It was partially tipped around the 7 yard line which threw off the placement of where the WR was expecting it. Even if you still want to consider it a fluke, then ISM’s fumble on the kick return that flew right into MSU’s hands right before going out of bounds was flukey too.

How many years have we been saying this now?!?!?

I’d say we a due then for the law of averages to take affect. Fingers crossed.

I make no secretes about how poor I feel our offense has been over the last several years. I am however trying to be optimistic about this upcoming season. We did show improvement last year. Brian can really sway the scales his way by having a great year.

I make no secretes about how poor I feel our offense has been over the last several years. I am however trying to be optimistic about this upcoming season. We did show improvement last year. Brian can really sway the scales his way by having a great year.

We have had a schizoid offense the last few years and many years where we score a bunch one game then look terrible the next. BF needs to find our best mismatches if we have any and get big chunk plays and a bunch of them in every game. Last couple of years the TEs have been our big mismatches and Wadley making special plays.

This year it could be a struggle but I think using the running backs in pass plays in the open and maybe ISM and other receivers deep could get us the chunk plays to soften a defense.

Last edited:

I rewatched it a couple weeks ago and in addition to everything you said, I was just incredibly impressed with the ball hawking from Amani hooker. He had a great game and in hindsight, his contribution cannot he overstated last year. I think Iowa’s secondary is going to miss him more than most people think.

Tuesday, starting at 11:30 central time we get a bunch of Hawkeye content leading up to the 5:00 show where the bus with Howard, Dave and DiNardo rolls into IC to preview the team. The 3 games between 11:30 and 5:00 are the 2007 win vs MSU, 2017 vs OSU and the 2018 win vs Huskers. Those are the 3 I remember, anyway.

Edit: There is a 4th game in between there: 2016 Michigan game. Then after the 5:00 B1G show, there is a repeat of that same show at 6:00. Then at 7:00 is the Mississippi State game. The 1985 Michigan at Iowa is in there somewhere, too.

Last edited:
Good grief. Did we win the game? I better go back and be sure...thought we did.

No shit. I hate to remind people, but that may have been the best defense in the country...or at least top three. The schedule they played tells you everything you need to know. Alabama didn't push them around, Florida didn't push them around. Our offense made plays...and converted the turnovers the defense created into points. I'd have to go back and check, but I think there were three 1st rounders on that defense...Sweat, Simmons, & Abrams. Go back a few years and see how Iowa did playing against top defenses in the SEC (Tennessee & Florida) with legitimate NFL talent on the DL. I'll take last years game, thank you very much.

Once again, people don't give our OL credit because we couldn't run the ball at all, but aside from the first few series, we protected Stanley really well against that defensive line. Big time positive there. Lastly, three of those guys are back and guess what...they will be much better this year. If the other two positions are pretty good...well...we will run and protect better this year.

Tuesday, starting at 11:30 central time we get a bunch of Hawkeye content leading up to the 5:00 show where the bus with Howard, Dave and DiNardo rolls into IC to preview the team. The 3 games between 11:30 and 5:00 are the 2007 win vs MSU, 2017 vs OSU and the 2018 win vs Huskers. Those are the 3 I remember, anyway.

Set all of them up to be recorded on my dvr. Thanks for the good info!

No need to worry. If the offense doesn't get any better, we'll have the schedule and loss of Fant/Hock to use as an excuse.

No need to worry. If the offense doesn't get any better, we'll have the schedule and loss of Fant/Hock to use as an excuse.

I know but there is an article on hawk central pointing out significant losses after this year and that next year will be a rebuilding year. So if this year is weak sauce then next season will be watered down weak sauce.

So if we struggle this season or just have an average 7-5 season then it could be another two or more years after this one before we have something to get exciting about.

So can only hope this is a great year.

Latest posts