BTN at Iowa Open Practice

I'm not a big fan of Dienhart so I'll take it with a grain of salt. However, if what he said is true it makes me wonder if they bulked him up a little too much. Coming out of high school he was known for his combination of size and speed. Now Dienhart is saying he doesn't run very well...

He always had good size. That was never an issue. If all that bulk slowed him down I'd prefer he lose some of it in order to maintain his speed. Maybe shed 15 lbs off. A TE who's 6'7 250 is still a big dude.

I'll wait until we see him in action before making too much of Dienhart's comments.

yeah, the comment about running goes against what I've always heard. It was his lack of blocking that held him back early in his career.

yeah, the comment about running goes against what I've always heard. It was his lack of blocking that held him back early in his career.

At least in terms of game speed, he runs pretty well. It's the fact that he goes down on first contact that prvents him from making more explosive plays.

same as what they did with greenway back in the day, no? he played up on the los, situationally. he was quick, as i recall and could react according to the play.

p.s. and it was done this way because the DL was 'not great' that year, i believe his senior year.

I also liked the fact that they mentioned getting Alston in there as a potential pass rusher. IMO, he's too good of player to be riding pine. Hopefully he'll get some playing time and be able to use his quicks.

Here's a compilation of tweets on DL: (SIAP)

Dave Revsine
@BTNDaveRevsine
23h

Carl Davis very impressive in individual drills. Looks like he may be poised to take a major leap

Expand

Dave Revsine@BTNDaveRevsine20h
Phil Parker talked about some of the younger guys who have stood out on D - Jordan Lomax, Jaleel Johnson, Drew Ott and Carl Davis.

Expand

Gerry DiNardo@gerrydinardo19h
BTN Camp Tour 2013 #Hawkeyes F. Ekakitie and J Johnson help D Line in a big way

Expand

Gerry DiNardo@gerrydinardo20h
BTN Camp Tour 2013 #Hawkeyes Defense in same spot as offense - solid in the box but need to be able to stop explosives with the back end

Expand

Tom Dienhart@BTNTomDienhart23h
Another possible #Hawkeyes pass rusher is Nate Meier. Drew Ott also has potential.

Expand

To amp up the pass rush, Kirk Ferentz says he may line up LBs like Christian Kirksey, Anthony Hitchens and Quinton Alston on passing downs.

Expand

#Hawkeyes DT Carl Davis passes the eyeball test. He could be special. pic.twitter.com/d1NWwmC7sk

View photo

more from Dienhart article yesterday:

The defensive line is another key spot. Who will rush the passer? I’m not sure there is a natural one on the roster. Inside, Louis Trinca-Pasat looked good. He’s strong and tough. Many tell me massive Carl Davis is an NFL prospect. At 6-5, 315, he’s a specimen. He needs to play with more consistency. Ferentz thinks he could get a push inside as a rusher. He’s a mountain. Dominic Alvis is a guy who showed me a bit of something off the edge. Nate Meier looks good, too, and Drew Ott has a burst. Ferentz says he may use a linebacker like Anthony Hitchens, Christian Kirksey or Quinton Alston as a rusher on passing downs.

I was surprised to not see any mention of Cooper.

Does anyone have any insight on him?

How are we supposed to start a Cooooooop chant without him making plays?

I agree
I also liked the fact that they mentioned getting Alston in there as a potential pass rusher. IMO, he's too good of player to be riding pine. Hopefully he'll get some playing time and be able to use his quicks.

I'm not a big fan of Dienhart so I'll take it with a grain of salt. However, if what he said is true it makes me wonder if they bulked him up a little too much. Coming out of high school he was known for his combination of size and speed. Now Dienhart is saying he doesn't run very well...

He always had good size. That was never an issue. If all that bulk slowed him down I'd prefer he lose some of it in order to maintain his speed. Maybe shed 15 lbs off. A TE who's 6'7 250 is still a big dude.

I'll wait until we see him in action before making too much of Dienhart's comments.

Doyle doesn't train simply for bulk, He trains for functional strength..and speed.

No offense to CJF (maybe he had unfair expectations heaped on him) but I've never been that impressed. He's big...but he's never looked particularly fast or powerful.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I only saw your comment because I was reading the thread without being logged in, FYI.

The reason CJF had huge expectations was partly due to the fact that he played mostly WR against small school competition in Illinois. Of course he is going to look like a beast. Add to that he was a Top 5 TE and 4 star prospect and people are going to pile on expectations, realistic or not.

Excited to watch Sunday.

Good to see some lively, passionate football thread posting in here today.. even if there is some trolling and derp action occassionally.

I took "he doesn't run very well" to mean that he has not shown much run after catch so far in his career and gets tackled easily (not physical).

Can he? well if it's just a matter of attitude then Yes. He'll show flashes this year against lesser opposition. I'll watch closely against stiffer competition.

I read this that the line is solid (because of other tweets) but they might put some lbs in at de to get quicker and more athletic in big passing downs.

this is actually pretty smart because a lb at de would have a better chance running down a scrambling QB. They will have to train them to not get caught up with the tackles and to use their speed because they would be giving up so much size those tackles would clamp them down if they get their hands on them.

Yep. And those LBs have to remember not to "overcommit". As much as we have been saying "Our DL doesn't get pressure!", it can also be said that our DL and LB personnel will "over-run" their assignments.

Latest posts