BT Tournament

I keep telling myself that several players have logged serious minutes the last two months and could use a reset.

Tired legs show up in your outside shot, defensive rotations, and late game free throw attempts.

And for God's sake, don't pull a player who picks up two fouls early. Nothing to save him for now. All you're doing is taking him out of rhythm the second half.

You would think that the way Fran rotates so many players all season that this would be a mess of a problem for Iowa than for other teams.

You would think that the way Fran rotates so many players all season that this would be a mess of a problem for Iowa than for other teams.
CM, Murray, and Flip log a lot of minutes. Perk less so but up there. The subs mostly come from the others

More musing:

Not that Iowa is going to the NIT......but would Iowa win the NIT this year?

Crystal ball, would you take a first round NCAA loss, or an NIT Championship? If you knew for an absolute fact one of these two events would occur and you had to pick. That run Fran and the boys made was exciting back in the day. I went to the NIT game at Carver...that place was rocking that day.

Crazy how another higher seed goes down in the BTT. Although, maybe not so crazy how jumbled up the regular season was.

Last edited:
More musing:

Crystal ball, would you take a first round NCAA loss, or an NIT Championship? If you knew for an absolute fact one of these two events would occur and you had to pick. That run Fran and the boys made was exciting back in the day. I went to the NIT game at Carver...that place was rocking that day.

Crazy how another higher seed goes down in the BTT. Although, maybe not so crazy how jumbled up the regular season was.
Nebraska, PSU, Wisconsin and OSU say hi! Well OSU is CIT, NCAA or bust. So eliminate OSU and Iowa is... 0-5. Can the Hawks NIT all the way?

Last edited:
That and a NCAA championship from the women.
A Final Four from the gals would do it for me. They have it in the tank to get that far.
Count me as one who doesn't want NIT out of a Fran team. Way too long in the tooth to stoop down to that.

Gotta love the unpredictability of the BTen this year, which has carried over to the tourney! Love to see the 10, 13, 3 and 1 seeds in the semis. Guess we shouldn't be surprised. I thought the B12 was the class conference of the nation this year, but after watching a little bit of all the conferences lately, I'm not sure of anything. This will be one of the most interesting NCAA tourneys I can remember....I'm confused in how to fill out my brackets, and they aren't even out yet!

Crystal ball, would you take a first round NCAA loss, or an NIT Championship?
Winning the NIT would be like bragging to your friends that you won a competition to see who could whisper the loudest.

NIT invites are basically an insult at this point.

Winning the NIT would be like bragging to your friends that you won a competition to see who could whisper the loudest.

Not unlike the myriad of 6-6 team(s) FB bowl games.

But teams still accept and go...plastic smiles and all.

More musing:

Fran runs are few and far between. Can't dis the NIT cause if you take away his NIT run you only have last years final 10 games and BTT. Several wins, some possibly over better teams than that NCAA first round team, is better. You can label it but some of the NIT teams just gel too late but they would be as good as many of the NCAA teams. Xavier won the NIT as they were becoming the team they are now that is in the NCAA and going for the conference championship today. Would love for Fran to have built off the BTT win last year but no such luck. Nice if he built off that NIT run. Hey, Marble got hurt and they lose to Baylor but that same team comes back and the kids Uthoff, White, and Woody a year older and they win 5 less games.

Last edited:

But you get to hang a banner, more home games to take the wife and kids to in the process, more ice-cream......extended march situations. ;)

All of that extended television exposure for your program.

And all of that experience building towards next year. It is like a football team getting bowl prep.

BTW....I'm only half serious here.......but it is kind of tempting.....I mean your team is still around as opposed to closing up shop for the year. Getting some is better than getting blue balls...lol!

Wouldn't it be something if the NIT Champion and the NCAA Champion played at the end of the year...and the NIT Champion won.
boom-mind-blown.gif

1678560091389.png