Brust Transfer Sparks Debate at League Meetings

It is my job to parse and I do know that I can occasionally go too far with it. Just wish the Gazette could have put things more in context with respect to Webber. Because if you did not know about the Gordon situation, it would just seem as if Webber was talking about Iowa being hurt.

Iowa was hurt by the whole fiascal. We lost a recruit!:rolleyes:

When the league expands to 16, there will be a lot more coaching turnover. Just look at the Big East. The buried bottom feeders in a 16 team league often are on the hot seat, which will now mean that Big Ten coaches will be whispering in the signed recruits ears thruout the season.

This basically changes the landscape from a gentlemen's ''hands off'' agreement to a murky gray area that will raise the level of acrimony and negative recruiting in the league...but I guess maybe the drama will be good for ratings?

Or maybe more prospects wait for the late signing period.

red-headed_vulture.jpg
BO-RYAN-thumb-275x392-24243.jpg

North American Vultures

CAARHawk? Are we going to have to pull you off of the ledge every night? Maybe bring you into a dark room, with no food or water and no sleep...until you "get on board"? We're starting to think your last name is "Lickliter"...:p

Ugh! This article makes Iowa look bad. Basically it looks like Iowa was sour graping. Not saying Iowa is doing something wrong. Just don't like the way it is being spun.

No way Iowa was sour graping. If Iowa did anything at all, it was either approve of the transfer or excuse themselves from any part of the debate.

Actually, you have a point. The article states the discussion is about Brust and Webber says the two teams involved had opinions and also he makes the comment about how it matters when it hurts you, in this case meaning Iowa.

But, he didn't say that Iowa brought the issue forth.

The more I look at it the more I really think my issue is with the way the blog is written. I would really like to hear a more comprehensive account of what went on.

Or he could have been talking about his own school, and how he lost Gordon to Illinois. Back to your first contribution, how can you interpret that it sounds like sour grapes from Iowa when they're isn't a single quote from anyone associated with the school?

Guys you don't get what I was saying. I was talking about the way the article was written and Webber's quotes were used. I was saying it made it look like Iowa was sour graping, because the article singled out the two teams involved without saying how the issue was actually brought forth. This makes it sound like Iowa brought it up, because we know Wisky wouldn't. My issue is with the article, not with Iowa or the coaching staff. There just could have been a lot more information to provide clarity. But this is what we get with blog reporting.

Now I admit I jumped to the conclusion that Iowa brought up the issue without the article saying they did, but by the way it was written it sems like a prety logical conclusion.

Wisconsin was 'instrumental' in convincing the B10 to give Brust the opportunity to sign anywhere he wanted. A week or so later, Brust signs with Wisc. With that said, Bo Ryan in the article that Woody put up, claims he does not know the rules and how the process worked...Anyone going to buy that the chair of their athletic board was apparently fighting so hard for this kid w/o a possible benefit from it?
UW wins appeal on behalf of Brust - JSOnline

Wisconsin was 'instrumental' in convincing the B10 to give Brust the opportunity to sign anywhere he wanted. A week or so later, Brust signs with Wisc. With that said, Bo Ryan in the article that Woody put up, claims he does not know the rules and how the process worked...Anyone going to buy that the chair of their athletic board was apparently fighting so hard for this kid w/o a possible benefit from it?
UW wins appeal on behalf of Brust - JSOnline

Yea, Bo Ryan is fooling no one with his ''who me?''Sgt Schultz ''I know nothing'' act here. And yes, I bet it was heated in that discussion between guys like Weber and Ryan, who is a following the wisky/Brett Bielema tradition of poaching other league schools recruits.
Of course...Bo doesn't know a thing about the rule...righttttt. Lying scumbag.

It makes sense that Bo didn't understand the rules. I mean, he's only been recruiting in the Big Ten for over 20 years in 4 different decades... oh wait...

I wouldn't be surprised if Bo didn't immediately know about that rule, even if he was told about it. He doesn't strike me as being the brightest guy.

Latest posts