Brommer

Brommer may not be headed for the NBA, but he has grown tremendously since his freshmen year. The kid WORKS both off and on the court and the "fans" mock him.

If you don't think he's Big 10 material, that;s your perogative. But he's on our team, he works his butt off and he desreves props for his effort last night.

I'm glad to have him at Iowa. If he keeps up that work ethic by the time he's a senior I think he's going to be a big contributor.

Funny, when the football team recrutis a mid-major caliber talent we're excited to see them develop into the "next man in". But if they are on the basketball team, we bash them and wish they'd transfer to somewhere else.

Thats because "next man in" doesn't work in bball. The more guys you have on a team the easier it is to cover up your flawed areas, on a basketball team your flawed areas get exploited rather easily cause there is not as much help there for you.

Look, I don't dislike Brommer, I just don't think he had as good of a game as the numbers reflect. He got some easy looks at the bucket and made most of them, but should have made a couple more. He did make his ft's which was good to see,

It is what it is and he is going to have to play because we don't have the depth and size to do otherwise. OSU didn't use Sullinger nearly as much as they could have because they didn't need to.

Good thing Brommer only had to contend with defensive slackers like Lauderdale and Sullinger.

Watching the game last night, Gus Johnson didn't share your opinion of Brommers performance. I will take his opinion over yours.

Last edited:
Good thing Brommer only had to contend with defensive slackers like Lauderdale and Sullinger.

Watching the game last night, Gus Johnson didn't share your opinion of Brommers performance. I will take his opinion over yours.

Now because you like Gus Johnson as an announcer doesn't mean everyone does. I know a lot guys who dislike him and wouldn't give two cents for his opinion, I am not one of them.

Just saying because you value someone's opinion doesn't mean anyone else does.

Because Gus Johnson has watched all the Iowa games and practices this year to see how good Brommer is? Who cares what an annnouncer says who is paid to be non-biased.

Brommer had a good game last night period.

I thought Brommer could offer something this year. I like his bulk and his athleticism while making basketball plays seems to be better than Coles.

Here is the issue though. Iowa should be striving to be a top 6 Big 10 team as those teams make the NCAA tournament and if you look at the current top 6 teams Brommer could not step on the floor for any of the teams.

It's kind of funny this argument is going on. Even if Brommer improves from this year to next year is Iowa really that much better? What does get better even really mean?

Iowa needs to upgrade talent in a lot of places on the roster and I am not going to argure about Brommer because he has flashed signs of being OK but it's basketball and that happens from time to time. Don't read too much into it until guys prove they can do it consistently. It happens all the time, it's funny how a guy goes off and then all of a sudden the next team scouts it and that player struggles the next game. Lets see how many games like last night Brommer can produce.

Now because you like Gus Johnson as an announcer doesn't mean everyone does. I know a lot guys who dislike him and wouldn't give two cents for his opinion, I am not one of them.

Just saying because you value someone's opinion doesn't mean anyone else does.

I don't get the Gus Johnson love. He is ok as an announcer, but nothing great. I think he is funny at times but he is nothing special as far as announcers go.

Brommer played great. You can't expect him to do much better than he did against that kind of comp. I am happy for him and hope he gets more pt. I think we forget sometimes that these are 18 year old kids when they get here and we jump all over them from day one. The kid is doing better with the skill set he has than last year and that is commendable.

Seriously brother? Cousin? What?

No relation, other than we are close to the same height. I think that does add a little insight to the play of big men that some others on the board may be lacking.

Not a believer. He has way more games where he completely is a no-show. When he does perform well and you see the light go on you can't help but wonder why he can't do that every night.

Not a believer. He has way more games where he completely is a no-show. When he does perform well and you see the light go on you can't help but wonder why he can't do that every night.

I think it was pretty evident Andrew was an afterthought last year and I don't know of any player that developed anything but bad basketball habits under the previous regime. Have to think Fran is building his confidence and letting him know how good he can be.

He may not get there for another year, and certainly the first thing he has to work on is consistently being smartly aggressive. But he's coming along, and really showed some things against across-the-board better athletes in Columbus. I have hope for him.

I think it was pretty evident Andrew was an afterthought last year and I don't know of any player that developed anything but bad basketball habits under the previous regime. Have to think Fran is building his confidence and letting him know how good he can be.

He may not get there for another year, and certainly the first thing he has to work on is consistently being smartly aggressive. But he's coming along, and really showed some things against across-the-board better athletes in Columbus. I have hope for him.

I have not been a Brommer fan but after reading your post I have to agree. If he was a freshman right now I think most Hawk fans would have high hopes for him but after watching him for two years in TL's system it has given us a negative view of him.

Unfortunately, for him that is the way it is and he didn't improve much under Lick. It is going to be hard to change people's minds about him now, but hopefully he can get better and have a great senior year.

There was no doubt that Lick didn't like something about Brommer. When Lick was out sick, Brommer got a few more minutes, and even then, I thought showed some potential. As soon as Lick was back at the helm, Brommer returned to the far end of the bench. If they would have gotten him a few more minutes and encouraged him during the futility that was last season, I think he would be even further ahead today.

I'm not sure there isn't time for him to still have a pretty good junior year.

I'm an ISU fan and I saw some really good things out of Brommer. I think he'll be decent for you guys next year. IMO if he keeps playing smart and with confidence he can be a "solid" big guy.

Also, there is no such thing as over the back. Read it earlier in the thread somewhere.

I get it you hate Brommer and can't see any improvement.

I thought this was a topic on a hawkeye basketball message board and it was okay to bounce thoughts off of each other.

Clearly you're not interested in that.

I'm more interested in examining the stats to paint the big picture and not just listen to opinions.

My apologies.

I thought this was a topic on a hawkeye basketball message board and it was okay to bounce thoughts off of each other.

Clearly you're not interested in that.

I'm more interested in examining the stats to paint the big picture and not just listen to opinions.

My apologies.

I get it you hate sioux34 and can't see any civil discourse.

Thanks Gravy

TalkHawk, You seem a little stuck on the stats that Brommer has put up while getting very little time behind a senior center in Cole and an obviously more talented freshman in Basabe. Watching what Brommer has been able to do this year vs last year, I see an obvious improvement. His confidence has grown immensely. He is attempting post moves this year that he would not have tried in the past. Is he all Big Ten, or will he ever be? Most likely not. Is he much improved and looking to play a major roll the rest of this season and the next. I am willing to wager he is.

Has anyone else noticed that the change in Brommers fouling habits lately? He is playing a lot smarter and is starting to figure things out. I don't think he will ever be all big ten, but he could turn into a steady player for us.

Latest posts