Brommer

Thanks Gravy

TalkHawk, You seem a little stuck on the stats that Brommer has put up while getting very little time behind a senior center in Cole and an obviously more talented freshman in Basabe. Watching what Brommer has been able to do this year vs last year, I see an obvious improvement. His confidence has grown immensely. He is attempting post moves this year that he would not have tried in the past. Is he all Big Ten, or will he ever be? Most likely not. Is he much improved and looking to play a major roll the rest of this season and the next. I am willing to wager he is.

Sioux- I am not sure if you have confused my name with someone elses..... why so defensive over this?

I am "stuck" on it? I brought it up once.

Instead of comments like he has "significantly improved"..... and just believing that...... the stats do not suggest that.

That is being "hung up" on stats?

I thought the conversation would then allow you to give your opinions on where he has "significantly improved."
You did that by saying he is attempting post moves he would not have last year.

That is the flow of a conversation on a message board.

Why any of my posts were taken personally I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. lol

Gravy's post coming to your defense over my posts...... realllllly? haha I was just stating facts and looking for opinions. Why is that such a big deal? lol

Again- my apologies for asking questions or talking about a topic on the internet. lol

Carry on. Incredible. lol

Fran seems to thing Brommer has an upside, just needs more confidence, something that he never had the chance with Lick.

Has anyone else noticed that the change in Brommers fouling habits lately? He is playing a lot smarter and is starting to figure things out. I don't think he will ever be all big ten, but he could turn into a steady player for us.

Fran seems to thing Brommer has an upside, just needs more confidence, something that he never had the chance with Lick.

It certainly appears the coaches (or someone) have been working with Andrew on how to play defense without picking up three fouls in as many minutes. He's playing with more confidence and using his aggressiveness in a much better way. Nice to see. Agreed, he may never be all-conference. But certainly could become much needed help inside.

Last edited:
Seriously, I hate to get in the middle of a Sioux/Hawktalk ***** fight but it cannot be argued that A-Broms was not the best the Hawks had to offer that night. Will he do it again, I don't know but he came to play and that can't be argued. Let it go HT, he played a great game and time will tell if he can do it again. I for one think he can, he was getting after it. period.

It really isn't that big of a deal. lol

If anyone went back to read my posts- and came to the conclusion that I "hate" sioux.... hahaha ru serious? I feel like I am on Punk'd. lol

Sioux's stated opinions can not be questioned or asked for explanation- I didn't know those were the rules. lol

I do now. I really mean this- I am sincerely sorry you thought I was fighting.

Won't happen again- take care. :)

This Brommer discussion is interesting in that people seem so animated. My take is that Brommer has shown flashes over the last few years, but has not been able to put those flashes together in a string of good games. A big reason why is that he hasn't been able to consistently stay on the court due to foul trouble.

Because he hasn't been able to develop consistency, I think a lot of people see next year, where he is currently the only viable option at 5 and the red light goes off. However, if he was able to start stringing together games, then I think we all would get behind him firmly.

As far as the OSU game goes, Basabe played really well in game one. But they did a job on him in game 2. So, some of Brommer's success might have been that their primary goal on the front line was to stop Basabe.

So, it might not be a great idea to overreact due to one or two games. So, if he reverts back to a less productive form today, don't freak out.

My goodness, he has played well about twice this year. He may actually have the physical ability, its has been shown, but why players like him can't bring it on a regular basis is a real question.

My guess is if he had consistently proven it in practice, he would be given playing time. Its not like he's a freshman.

One game seems to sway some people dramatically in their thinking. I would like to see him do it 4 games in a row then I will buy into it. Same with May. Its mental.

I love Cartwright's tenacity on the floor. He is the closest thing we have to a leader. Basbabe not far off and he is a freshman.

I think part of Andrew's problem (not all of it, but part) has been the inconsistency of the officiating in the B10. He's a not very fast big kid and not as athletic as many other players on the floor. If the likes of Eddie Hightower or Ted Valentine have the game, there seems to be a default position that the slower defensive player has committed the foul (especially if wearing an Iowa uniform). I thought Andrew was helped in the tOSU game by that crew taking a more balanced view of charge/block. Andrew took several charges, got fouls called on opposing players, was able to stay in the game and elevate his game some.

I thought Brommer had another pretty good outing. He made some nice passes when Indy would double in the post. Not all of them where converted by the shooter, or he would have had about four more assists.

I like his passing.
I like his defense (when he's not chasing somebody)
I think he's coming on and will contribute a lot in the future.

I almost started a new thread about this but 2 Brommer threads would have been a bit much. I think he should be starting. Yeah I know, who cares who starts the game and maybe he wouldn't play as well if he did. But he has more upside than Cole at this point. Like some have said he plays D well, he is bigger than Cole and just as strong, he gets after it on the boards, and he can also take it to the hole as he did today. Also today he showed he can pass really well. I was at the game and on that inbounds debacle turnover Cole had that got him yanked out of the game as he was coming out Fran got in his face and screamed "WAKE UP"! Don't know if he will start this year as Cole is a senior and all but he is going to be seeing more and more pt if he keeps it up.

I don't have a problem with Cole continuing to start. He does bring a lot of energy most nights. He is never going to have very good hands, and he is undersized, but he does really hustle. Brommer will continue to get more minutes, if he continues to play the way he has in the past two games.

Was anyone else suprised to see Indy double and sometimes even triple teaming any Hawk who caught the ball in the post? I am surprised they considered any of our posts more of a threat to score than our wings.

He seemed to get called for a lot of ticky tac fouls yesterday. The refs look around and are like lets give it to Brommer that goof ball is always fouling anyway.

As far as him starting over Cole.......I think he has the ability, but I just don't think it would be fair to put Cole on the bench after he has stuck with us through three coached and worked so hard. He has a lot of character...Most kids would have (or did) bail.

A couple of the fouls Brommer got yesterday where the result of him getting a little too handsy on D. This generally happens to him when the guy he is defending bobbles the ball, and Brommer in his excitement reaches for it and gets whistled for the foul. He does of course still get caught on the hedge 40 feet from the basket now and then, but so does Cole.

A couple of the fouls Brommer got yesterday where the result of him getting a little too handsy on D. This generally happens to him when the guy he is defending bobbles the ball, and Brommer in his excitement reaches for it and gets whistled for the foul. He does of course still get caught on the hedge 40 feet from the basket now and then, but so does Cole.

I assume they're coached to go out and pressure the perimeter. Personally, I think that's last thing a team who's usually disadvantaged inside needs to do. Fran has more coaching W's than I do, though. ;)

Latest posts