Bring Back Old Kirk

I think he should have kicked it too. But pinning them at the 2 way a pretty good play too. If they just punt on 4th down, we have good field position. If they stop the fake punt, we have the ball inside the 10. A lot of good can happen when you have the opponent inside the 2. That said,a 3 score game with 1 quarter left is a pretty big deal.

The reason they went for it is paradoxically the same reason that not converting it was such a de-nutter: Because Phail Parker sucks a giant stinky ass against a mobile, even marginally accurate quarterback. Prolly the same reason Kurt went for the penultimate 4th down: He knew that Phail wasn't up to the task of containing K-Martinez in OT.

Phail sucks.

LOL, The same poster have bitched for years that Kirk plays not to lose. Yet now when he is going for the kill shot and it doesn't work, he is supposed to play not to lose.

You know what...that's not true. I've not complained in other situations where KF went for it and was aggressive and it may not have worked out. However, in that situation...the points really meant something. A two score game is much different than three...much much different. Nebraska would have never been able to tie that game and possibly force OT. I'm thankful that we won the game...but that decision was stupid. If we were up 9,10 or 11 and went for the fake...I wouldn't be complaining...we were already up two scores.

I like the aggressiveness in general but I think this coaching staff needs to get a clue as for WHEN to roll the dice.

Wasn't it the PSU game, they went for it late in the first half near midfield on 4th and long, late in the first half.. instead of punting. PSU got a free FG out if it. Case in point.

There's calculated risks, and then there's sheer recklessness

Personally thot it was a great call (going for it). Probably, tho, just leave regular offense out there.

Definitely a bad call, easy FG to go up 18 at the very least.
However, to KF credit, the call to go for it 4th and 8 at the end of the game was a very GOOD call. We punt there, and Nebby goes down to score OR they beat us in OT. Sure as hell that would have happened.

I wasn’t in favor of it either but............had it worked the crickets would be chirping. That’s how it works in fan world.

When is Stanley going to start hitting open receivers more consistently? That’s as big of a factor in this game as others being offered......... worth two additional scores?

I don’t like this take at all. I’m guessing Kirk was watching our defense get scrambled on all day and thought we needed to score as many points as possible. Which I think was the right way of thinking.

But on the other hand, Old Kirk might have punted on the next to last series instead of throwing the ball for a 10 yard gain to Hockenson with 42 seconds remaining........ first down on 4th and 8 to set up the winning FG
The play before the pass to Hoc was a running play on 3rd and 11. Don't think we were in field goal range. Don't know about that call

LOL, The same poster have bitched for years that Kirk plays not to lose. Yet now when he is going for the kill shot and it doesn't work, he is supposed to play not to lose.

There are some guilty of what u say but most of us know the difference between aggressively attacking weakness with ur strength based on game flow and situation and discombobulated, unnecessary foolishness. For some reason, BriFerKirk struggles with the strategical nuance between going fetal and keep doing what’s working.:rolleyes:

Just more Ferentz fueled frustration.

I like the aggressiveness in general but I think this coaching staff needs to get a clue as for WHEN to roll the dice.

Wasn't it the PSU game, they went for it late in the first half near midfield on 4th and long, late in the first half.. instead of punting. PSU got a free FG out if it. Case in point.

There's calculated risks, and then there's sheer recklessness

I didn't mind that PSU call at all.

The reason they went for it is paradoxically the same reason that not converting it was such a de-nutter: Because Phail Parker sucks a giant stinky ass against a mobile, even marginally accurate quarterback. Prolly the same reason Kurt went for the penultimate 4th down: He knew that Phail wasn't up to the task of containing K-Martinez in OT.

Phail sucks.

Penultimate means second to last.

I didn't mind that PSU call at all.

I did.

Total gift of 3 points right before halftime. Time, score, yards to go, field position, etc. Just my opinion of course.

But regardless of whether we agree on that particular call, I still think the timing is suspect on some of those.

There was also the fake punt deep in our own territory last year against OSU that didn't work and handed them a TD. Lucky we were up 30+ at the time. Just another one I recall.

Last edited:
Ok...any win against Nebraska is a good win...especially when it's 4 in a row. That being said. Up 15 points, 3rd and 2 at the 3 yard line, don't you have to run twice to get a first down or a touch...especially when you are running the ball so well...and physically abusing them. Ok and that being said...don't you have to just kick the damn field goal to go up 18, 3 scores, against a good offensive team. Fake field goal...really?

I'm sorry, but sometimes, I wish Old Kirk would take over again in certain situations. No offense coach...but that was stupid.
Frost basically said postgame that it was a stupid move by Kirk, he softened it by alluding to his fake field goal as a long shot as well, but we knew what he meant.

Well, Parker is in good company almost nobody has found a way to stop Martinez. Iowa was doing a good job until Brian decided to turn down a scoring opportunity and game Nebby a boost.

Ok...any win against Nebraska is a good win...especially when it's 4 in a row. That being said. Up 15 points, 3rd and 2 at the 3 yard line, don't you have to run twice to get a first down or a touch...especially when you are running the ball so well...and physically abusing them. Ok and that being said...don't you have to just kick the damn field goal to go up 18, 3 scores, against a good offensive team. Fake field goal...really?

I'm sorry, but sometimes, I wish Old Kirk would take over again in certain situations. No offense coach...but that was stupid.
Kirk is old, now.

I did.

Total gift of 3 points right before halftime. Time, score, yards to go, field position, etc. Just my opinion of course.

But regardless of whether we agree on that particular call, I still think the timing is suspect on some of those.

There was also the fake punt deep in our own territory last year against OSU that didn't work and handed them a TD. Lucky we were up 30+ at the time. Just another one I recall.

The distance made it a questionable call. The field position compared to time left made it a decent call. If it was 5 yards to go instead of 8 (I think) it would have been way better. The odds of not getting the 1st down compared to the odds of them actually getting into field goal range wasnt too bad.

The fake punt against OSU wasnt a called fake. It was 100% on the punter who thought he had an easy 1st down. Problem was, the rest of the team didn't block the one guy who had a chance to make a play because they thought he was punting.

Latest posts