Bring Back Old Kirk

WinOneThisCentury

Ok...any win against Nebraska is a good win...especially when it's 4 in a row. That being said. Up 15 points, 3rd and 2 at the 3 yard line, don't you have to run twice to get a first down or a touch...especially when you are running the ball so well...and physically abusing them. Ok and that being said...don't you have to just kick the damn field goal to go up 18, 3 scores, against a good offensive team. Fake field goal...really?

I'm sorry, but sometimes, I wish Old Kirk would take over again in certain situations. No offense coach...but that was stupid.

Ok...any win against Nebraska is a good win...especially when it's 4 in a row. That being said. Up 15 points, 3rd and 2 at the 3 yard line, don't you have to run twice to get a first down or a touch...especially when you are running the ball so well...and physically abusing them. Ok and that being said...don't you have to just kick the damn field goal to go up 18, 3 scores, against a good offensive team. Fake field goal...really?

I'm sorry, but sometimes, I wish Old Kirk would take over again in certain situations. No offense coach...but that was stupid.
Yeah and considering that sort of decision making has already bit us in the ass earlier this year I kinda thought the same thing... We make that chip shot and other FG Recinos missed and we win walking away pretty much.. I hear ya loud and clear

I like aggressive Kirk. I like it when he rolls the dice and take chances I know it doesn't always work, but "playing not to lose" can be just as infuriating.

Last edited:
I like aggressive Kirk. I like it when he rolls the dice and take chances I know it doesn't always works, but "playing not lose" can be just as infuriating.

I'm sorry...but that's called "compounded stupidity". You don't go into two down offense and then you compound your error but not getting any points. Going up 3 scores with our defense is a big, big deal. You just can't come away with no points in that situation.

I like aggressive Kirk. I like it when he rolls the dice and take chances I know it doesn't always works, but "playing not lose" can be just as infuriating.
I hear ya and it's just so situational. I'm a fan of going for it on 4th downs here and there but turning down sure pts that'd put you up 3 possessions in a game where their weren't very many of them just to me makes so much sense. Now he had nothing to do with Recinos missing the one he did but you add those 6 pts and it never woulda came down like it did. Yet Recinos got to make up for it and get a walk off for his last kick in Kinnick. So for him I'm happy. The staff.....

Agree...2-3 runs with sargent to double te side..one as wb...fb outside iso...6

I like aggressive Kirk. I like it when he rolls the dice and take chances I know it doesn't always work, but "playing not lose" can be just as infuriating.

I like aggressive Kirk if he is really that aggressive, Kirk doesnt go with deep throws very often as he must think it is low percentage, even though agaisnt jNW it was 75% good.

But as a head coach and with all your assistant coaches you have to know the score, time of the game, the feel of the game. The hawks had scored on their first 3rd qtr possession and that FG would have given them a solid 3 score lead with just a couple minutes left in the 3rd.

This should have been a simple decision as far as percentages and win-loss percentages

Yes on both of those.

Nebby had the fake FG covered well. They were ready for it. I don’t mind the play call if it’s in the first half, but late in the 3Q? No. That’s when you add any points you can to put more pressure on the trailing team. More pressure = more possible mistakes.

Exactly. Horrible coaching. Run the damn thing twice.

I like aggressive Kirk if he is really that aggressive, Kirk doesnt go with deep throws very often as he must think it is low percentage, even though agaisnt jNW it was 75% good.

But as a head coach and with all your assistant coaches you have to know the score, time of the game, the feel of the game. The hawks had scored on their first 3rd qtr possession and that FG would have given them a solid 3 score lead with just a couple minutes left in the 3rd.

This should have been a simple decision as far as percentages and win-loss percentages
This perfectly states the problem. More aggressive downfield attacks > fake FGs when pts = 3 score lead

Yes on both of those.

Nebby has the fake FG covered well. They were ready for it. I don’t mind the play call if it’s in the first half, but late in the 3Q? No. That’s when you add any points you can to put more pressure on the trailing team. More pressure = more possible mistakes.

Nebraska was ready...we have set some precedent this year that you have to play any red zone field goal safe. Iowa was not ready for this play. If you watch the replay. Alaric Jackson never even got out of his stance...and others were slow to react. I'm not sure if it would have helped...but I think Jackson was supposed to have the first guy.

Nebraska was ready...we have set some precedent this year that you have to play any red zone field goal safe. Iowa was not ready for this play. If you watch the replay. Alaric Jackson never even got out of his stance...and others were slow to react. I'm not sure if it would have helped...but I think Jackson was supposed to have the first guy.

Not the first time Jackson has been slow on the snap or maybe he didnt get the fake fg play call

But on the other hand, Old Kirk might have punted on the next to last series instead of throwing the ball for a 10 yard gain to Hockenson with 42 seconds remaining........ first down on 4th and 8 to set up the winning FG
True. But with old Kirk we are probably up by 18 and can Stanley pooch punt it

I think he should have kicked it too. But pinning them at the 2 way a pretty good play too. If they just punt on 4th down, we have good field position. If they stop the fake punt, we have the ball inside the 10. A lot of good can happen when you have the opponent inside the 2. That said,a 3 score game with 1 quarter left is a pretty big deal.

You have to kick that FG with that time and score. It's basic fkn math. Terrible risk/reward scenario. I like the 4th down and fk it call at the end. Debby the ho had the mo, and that conversion made it go, and ended up winning the game, yo.

Football, like life, is so much more manageable if you follow one prime directive: Don't do stupid shit. Doing stupid shit makes already difficult situations (like a competitive college football game) unnecessarily more difficult.