Bring Back Old Kirk

There are some guilty of what u say but most of us know the difference between aggressively attacking weakness with ur strength based on game flow and situation and discombobulated, unnecessary foolishness. For some reason, BriFerKirk struggles with the strategical nuance between going fetal and keep doing what’s working.:rolleyes:

Just more Ferentz fueled frustration.

I would have taken the points, but I don't want to criticize a coaching staff for going for a kill shot. Nebraska had two possession in the half up to that point, and both were 3 and outs (one driving gaining 6 yards the other 2 yards). If you fail to convert you are going to pin them inside the 5 yard line, odds are you get the ball back between the 40's. It work out just fine, Nebraska went 3 and out, except a desperate Frost made a worse call going for it on the fake punt. Thing is it happened to work out. Nebraska needed to convert an additional 2 4th down plays to score on that drive.

Like I said, I would have taken that points, but this wasn't a bone headed coaches call like going for it on 4th in the Penn St. game, or chasing points in the Purdue game. It was a calculated risk to try to put a team away when Iowa had all the momentum. Not all risks pay off, and this one didn't, but I get where they were coming from on this one, and if they would have converted, it would have been game over right then and there.

Old kirk, new Kirk= same Kirk!
Seems he doesn't know situational football!
Guess his football for dummies 101 book is missing some pages!
Oh well we'll be better next year though.......

Dunno ol Kirk looks pretty damn old to me out there - looks like he has aged 10 years these last two years.

I have a feeling this was his last home game - something odd about the way he was acting.

I would have taken the points, but I don't want to criticize a coaching staff for going for a kill shot. Nebraska had two possession in the half up to that point, and both were 3 and outs (one driving gaining 6 yards the other 2 yards). If you fail to convert you are going to pin them inside the 5 yard line, odds are you get the ball back between the 40's. It work out just fine, Nebraska went 3 and out, except a desperate Frost made a worse call going for it on the fake punt. Thing is it happened to work out. Nebraska needed to convert an additional 2 4th down plays to score on that drive.

Like I said, I would have taken that points, but this wasn't a bone headed coaches call like going for it on 4th in the Penn St. game, or chasing points in the Purdue game. It was a calculated risk to try to put a team away when Iowa had all the momentum. Not all risks pay off, and this one didn't, but I get where they were coming from on this one, and if they would have converted, it would have been game over right then and there.

This is where I was at. As the game tightened I had the 20/20 hindsight clarity.

I was actually surprised it didn't work and nebby was ready for it. I liked the design if the play. This is complete conjecture, but I think the angle and position of the kick, which wasnt ideal, might have tipped the hand that a fake might happen.

Hock gets in, or the first...and it might have been another 4 score victory.

That said, frosties fake was pure desperation and actually pretty stupid. Players making plays, or not making play....make coaches look smart...and stupid...all the time.

Dunno ol Kirk looks pretty damn old to me out there - looks like he has aged 10 years these last two years.

I have a feeling this was his last home game - something odd about the way he was acting.

Kirk looked pretty good in Sept. Long season, aging coach.

Didn’t mind it. Brian was pissed at nebbys pregame antics and constant jawing. Wanted to put his foot on the throat of nebby and make it hurt. It didn’t work out but that’s the way it goes when you gamble.

If Hockenson gets another yard we would all be loving kirks ruthless nature against a rival.

Going for it on 4th and 8 with under a minute to play from the 37 was way, way, way riskier than going for it down by the goal line. If Iowa doesn't make that play, might as well have given the game to Nebraska.

Ok...any win against Nebraska is a good win...especially when it's 4 in a row. That being said. Up 15 points, 3rd and 2 at the 3 yard line, don't you have to run twice to get a first down or a touch...especially when you are running the ball so well...and physically abusing them. Ok and that being said...don't you have to just kick the damn field goal to go up 18, 3 scores, against a good offensive team. Fake field goal...really?

I'm sorry, but sometimes, I wish Old Kirk would take over again in certain situations. No offense coach...but that was stupid.

Old Kirk has 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, & 2009.

New Kirk has 2015 and a bunch of unranked seasons.

But his decision late in the game to go for it on 4th down won the game for Iowa. If that games goes to OT, Nebraska wins. So I’ll give new Kirk credit for that decision but his poor coaching early in the game forced him into that situation

I like the aggressiveness in general but I think this coaching staff needs to get a clue as for WHEN to roll the dice.

Wasn't it the PSU game, they went for it late in the first half near midfield on 4th and long, late in the first half.. instead of punting. PSU got a free FG out if it. Case in point.

There's calculated risks, and then there's sheer recklessness
Kirk seems to be more interested in these, at times, out of place, ill advised, often poorly executed risk plays ever since Bielema hookwinked him in Iowa City, which "flipped the field" in the Wisconsin/Iowa, which is the better program contest. We know how that turned out, and still taints the staff with choke-itis.

I just can't see Kirk leaving at this point, BF wouldn't be a lock to replace him and Kirk seldom leaves things up to chance, at least in his own life. Calculated. Table needs to be set. Everything in place.

Unless...Kirk already has the AD in line to hire Brian, with a guarantee. That would make sense.

Old Kirk has 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, & 2009.

New Kirk has 2015 and a bunch of unranked seasons.

But his decision late in the game to go for it on 4th down won the game for Iowa. If that games goes to OT, Nebraska wins. So I’ll give new Kirk credit for that decision but his poor coaching early in the game forced him into that situation

Old Kirk would have had 2015 and a bunch of unranked seasons.

Old kirk, new Kirk= same Kirk!
Seems he doesn't know situational football!
Guess his football for dummies 101 book is missing some pages!
Oh well we'll be better next year though.......
Dry humor? I agree.They "PATIENCE" is acquired. Will go shopping today. Players are Tough.

Latest posts