Brian's Quote: "If this is my last season as Iowa's OC, I'm at peace with that."

The media lobbed a softball at the OC, asking him what his message to fans would be.

“I don’t have a message to them,” he said.

We fans are hungry for something--anything--to help us accept the double down decision to stay the course coming off a season of the second worst offense in D-1, and he blows us off. Classy, real classy.

Hoping the Hawks go 12 & 0, with Phil Parker's D pitching all shutouts & contributing 2 safeties each game, & LeVar Woods' special teams getting us into field goal range each game for Drew Stevens to give us an "Iowa Touchdown" for each W.

End result: Great season AND a new OC!
Brian knows at this point nothing he says carries any meaning for any knowledgeable fan. He BSd his way after horrible offensive seasons, last year teasing with talk about 'quicker releases', shorter routes, etc, which was bought hook, line & sinker by the media -- even tho it made no sense at all. This year he's not even bothering to try.
He also resents the hell out of Iowa fans who pay attention all year round, because let's face it, if it were left up to KF and Barta in a vacuum, Brian would have a job for life at the Univ. of Iowa. Iowa FANS (including big donors) are the ONLY reason Barta felt compelled to write specific point and win totals into Brian's contract, which is beyond embarrassing for a professional coach.
So yeah, fans have made it clear they're not fond of Brian, and realizing that now he can't BS his way out of his performance record, he's not very fond of the Iowa fanbase either.
Trust me, the next thing you'll see from Brian is snark -- again following in Daddy's footsteps.

For context on the benchmarks, 25.0 PPG would have ranked 85th in the country last year. 70 FBS programs won 7 or more games in '22.

Iowa's Big Ten opponents in '23 were a combined 57-57 overall and 35-46 in conference last year. It's three non-con opponents all were under .500 last season, a combined 15-22.

It's a ridiculously low bar.

Unfortunately nowhere in Brian's new contract stipulations does it say he gets fired for not hitting that benchmark. That was done on purpose. Lawyers don't draw up ambiguous contract stipulations unless someone writing their check tells them to.
They would just simply restructure his contract.

As someone who thinks BF is a good coach and that he's hamstringed by his dad in what he can and can't do...these comments reek. In what company can you go and tell your peers or bosses that you're at "Peace" with getting fired? Not many and most will happily oblige. Also, to say the metrics and goals don't matter....try and tell your employer that too and see how it works?

I don't think it's all Brian's fault, but dude needs to go and at worse, his management needs to get that shit reigned in. That kind of talk is not good for anyone involved.

For context on the benchmarks, 25.0 PPG would have ranked 85th in the country last year. 70 FBS programs won 7 or more games in '22.

Iowa's Big Ten opponents in '23 were a combined 57-57 overall and 35-46 in conference last year. It's three non-con opponents all were under .500 last season, a combined 15-22.

It's a ridiculously low bar.

Ah..............................yikes!

The performance by Brian in the press conference was absolutely predictable. But the apple doesn’t fall very far from the tree. He’s exactly like his dad. They both think they are Iowa football and that it would cease to exist if they weren’t around. It’s what happens when coaches have lifetime contracts with no accountability from a national level. The amount of resources at their disposal is nearly unmatched. The annual schedule is routinely soft including the conference schedule thanks to the b10 west. He’s hired countless family & has the AD asking him at every turn, how high he needs to jump. And the softest media of any b10 school by many a mile.

It’s truly beyond words how they have been able to build such a fort around them over time, but here we are. And they aren’t done. They very obviously still plan to promote the slick haired center to head coach as soon as mary says it’s time. And for those doubting the final plan? You literally haven’t been paying attention

Last edited:
its not even May and as I reflect on all of this I get frustrated. I want to enjoy the Summer. You know each year I look forward to football seasson. And I find myself pissed off and angry so often during October and November obsessing about this GD offense. year after year after year. I think i'll try to wait to be pist.

He’s the worst OC in all of P5 football, has been for years, keeps his job when any other person would've been fired long ago, and because he’s so terrible at his job and keeps his job he is open season for any and all badgering. If you shit in your own bed and your dad allows you to lay in it as long as you want, you deal with the consequences.

Hawk football is bigger than Brain Ferentz. Tons of people pay tons of money to come out and support the team they've loved for decades, and they still do, in spite of the crappy performance...I'm sorry but that buys them the right to hammer on BF and Kurt for keeping him. Hayden Fry for all his critics brought moxy and respectability to a corpse of a football program long before Brain was shitting his Huggies. This isn't his program to ruin and it's time for him to have the keys taken away.
I thought he was a decent line coach (a position he played, I believe). Neither he nor Kirk really have any concept of offensive football (Most of Kirk's coaching prior to Iowa was spent as a line coach, not an offensive coach). Ken O'Keefe and even Greg Davis were far superior to Brian Ferentz; not to mention the Hall of Famer Bill Snyder.

Kirk should have put him in a position to succeed (line coach or tight ends coach), and instead he put him in charge of the offense, where he has no chance of succeeding.

And then Phil Parker gets to the podium and I get the impression that he is playing chess and I'm playing checkers. Incredible analysis; great answers; quick, nimble mind; humble; a guy that is obviously a terrific leader. Basically, every time he speaks it is "must see" TV. He is very creative with his defensive schemes and makes wonderful adjustments to fit the skills of his personnel.

I don't think it's all Brian's fault, but dude needs to go and at worse, his management needs to get that shit reigned in. That kind of talk is not good for anyone involved.
Accountability should always start with his dad as top leader, then Brian as the leader of that part of the team. But there has also been poor skills recruiting on offense (Cart and horse I know). There is also O-Line failures in both coaching and execution. And just bad QB execution even when the pocket is kept. There's blame everywhere but Phil and LeVar really.

I thought he was a decent line coach (a position he played, I believe). Neither he nor Kirk really have any concept of offensive football (Most of Kirk's coaching prior to Iowa was spent as a line coach, not an offensive coach). Ken O'Keefe and even Greg Davis were far superior to Brian Ferentz; not to mention the Hall of Famer Bill Snyder.

Kirk should have put him in a position to succeed (line coach or tight ends coach), and instead he put him in charge of the offense, where he has no chance of succeeding.
You know why kirk put him so out of position don’t you? As a qb coach, then as the whole enchilada of the offense…to give him the offensive exposure kirk never had before becoming a coach. This entire thing has been scripted from day one. And it’s on our watch. We are basically held hostage while Brian is being paid six figures as a multi-year intern that will ultimately be given keys to the castle with kirk, Mary & others high atop a press box above watching their lineage playing “the ferentz way” long into the future. You have to wonder if barta’s health will allow him to stay around for it all or have the Ferentz’s have the next AD hand picked by now?

And then Phil Parker gets to the podium and I get the impression that he is playing chess and I'm playing checkers. Incredible analysis; great answers; quick, nimble mind; humble; a guy that is obviously a terrific leader. Basically, every time he speaks it is "must see" TV. He is very creative with his defensive schemes and makes wonderful adjustments to fit the skills of his personnel.
Yup

I just don't care what he has to say, or what any of you have to say about what he has to say. This is the only topic I feel that way about. This donkey has been flogged to death. He has demonstrably sucked ass the last several seasons. We all agree on that. Saying it 75 more times won't make that better or worse.

Despite what he says, changes have been made. Not to the system, but to the personnel. Does anyone really want BF to implement an offense he knows nothing about? F no. He has run his Dad's system since he was 19. That is what he knows and all he knows.

He now has a veteran and proven winner at QB, a veteran OL, an all-conference caliber type RB, 2-3 talented TEs, and a couple veteran WRs. Personnel wise, we are better across the board. Either he does something with it or he doesn't.

I just don't care what he has to say, or what any of you have to say about what he has to say. This is the only topic I feel that way about. This donkey has been flogged to death. He has demonstrably sucked ass the last several seasons. We all agree on that. Saying it 75 more times won't make that better or worse.

Despite what he says, changes have been made. Not to the system, but to the personnel. Does anyone really want BF to implement an offense he knows nothing about? F no. He has run his Dad's system since he was 19. That is what he knows and all he knows.

He now has a veteran and proven winner at QB, a veteran OL, an all-conference caliber type RB, 2-3 talented TEs, and a couple veteran WRs. Personnel wise, we are better across the board. Either he does something with it or he doesn't.
This is a message board. It’s what happens on message boards. Especially in April & nothing else is going on. Get over yourself

Latest posts