Brian is the new QB coach

The hope is that he went from having "almost zero comfort" in coaching QBs to comfortable after 5 years with KOK.

Is that realistic?

We shall see.

There are successful coaches that never played high level football so I its possible Brian will be successful and I will wait to throw Brian under the bus. I am disappointed, I wanted to see a QB coach that knew the mechanics and had played QB at a high level.
Yeah getting a guy that's played qb at this level within the last 15 yrs or so and coached the position for awhile wouda been too much to ask... They don't grow on trees either but Drew Tate would do the job for free just about and he knows way more then BF does about QB play

If the offensive line was the most significant contributor to last year's poor offensive performance and they develop and improve this coming season then BF could come out looking like a hero regardless of possible shortcomings in his abilities. Could be what Kirk is seeing.

A good OL can make all parts run better.

The hope is that he went from having "almost zero comfort" in coaching QBs to comfortable after 5 years with KOK.

Is that realistic?

We shall see.
Since KOK is still drawing his salary I suspect he will still be a "consultant" or something and coaching QBs in practice but at game time he wont be on the sidelines. KOK has got a lot of heat over the years and this move takes the heat off.

Since KOK is still drawing his salary I suspect he will still be a "consultant" or something and coaching QBs in practice but at game time he wont be on the sidelines. KOK has got a lot of heat over the years and this move takes the heat off.

He definitely will be involved to a degree that is allowed by NCAA rules. I do not believe he can be on the field coaching in practice or meeting with players per regulations.

Well, Brian will show improvement in the game. No better time to become QB coach. could it get much worse?

The 2 weakest position groups on this team are indirectly related to our OC. So we keep him as our OC and add the title of QB coach.

Yeah, KF is a hell of a leader.

Brian Ferentz when hired as OC in 2017:

View attachment 8762
No one would hire Brian’s ass as an offensive coordinator except his daddy.

Oh my god. Now we know why the offense rates so low.

That’s the ticket, let’s hire someone that has no clue of what the hell he is doing. Nepotism is King in Iowa City!

Well gotta give him at least one thing……… he admits it.

The 2 weakest position groups on this team are indirectly related to our OC. So we keep him as our OC and add the title of QB coach.

Yeah, KF is a hell of a leader.
You left out the “B” and misspelled the word also.

bleeder

bleeding the U of I

This whole thing is just unreal. Just when I was beginning to give it up and accept that Kirk is grandfathered in, then this happens.

Instead of nicely relieving Brian as OC his roles are expanded. :(

"Long said he feels that Kirk Ferentz missed an opportunity to jump start the sputtering Iowa offense by not hiring an assistant coach who has experience with coaching quarterbacks.

Long said it’s rare for a quarterback coach to have no experience with coaching quarterbacks, but that’s the situation at with Brian Ferentz, who is a former Iowa offensive lineman."

HawkFanatic 3/23 interview with Long

Check it out.

The year after KoK left for the NFL, Iowa didn't win a bowl game.
Until....KoK came back to Iowa. Then they did.

"Long said he feels that Kirk Ferentz missed an opportunity to jump start the sputtering Iowa offense by not hiring an assistant coach who has experience with coaching quarterbacks.

Long said it’s rare for a quarterback coach to have no experience with coaching quarterbacks, but that’s the situation at with Brian Ferentz, who is a former Iowa offensive lineman."

HawkFanatic 3/23 interview with Long
I was a big proponent of bringing in Drew Tate. He just took a job at UNI. He knows the staff, took snaps from BF in college. Even if he's green behind the gills coaching wise the relationship is already there. I'd like to see him being hands on with QBs. He has a careers worth of knowledge compared to BF when it comes to playing QB.

Another way of looking at the situation is this. If you bring in Tate and it doesn't work out then so what let BF do what you're gonna do? But if you do and it works out well you're a genius.

If it doesn't work out for BF doing it this way then..... Yikes. They can't bite that bullet and try hiring someone next yr for it can they? KF isn't one to put his tail between his legs and admit being wrong.

Calling my shot now: 6-6 regular season with a loss to Western Michigan in the Quicklane Bowl. This program is the definition of mediocrity.

Just to remind everyone that you don't have to play the position you are coaching, here's a list of P5 quarterback coaches who didn't play quarterback in college. This list is likely incomplete.

Mike Leach - Mississippi St (did not play college football)
Jeff Lebby - Ole Miss (injury forced him to quit football before playing)
Bill O'Brien - Alabama (played linebacker and defensive back)
Kendal Briles - Arkansas (played safety and wide receiver)
Andy Ludwig - Utah (played wide receiver)
Marcus Sattefield - South Carolina (played wide receiver and punter)
John Donovan - Washington (played defensive back)
Matt Weiss - Michigan (played punter in college)
Dana Bible - UCLA (played defensive back)
Mario Verduzco - Nebraska (did not play college football)
Corey Dennis - OSU (played defensive back and wide receiver)

Heck, even Ken O'Keefe played wide receiver in college.