Brian is the new QB coach

spliff45

Abdul Hodge is being hired as the TE coach.
2 thoughts:

1. Love seeing Hodge coming back to the program
2. WTF...they really don't think QB play is an issue, do they? Kirk's gotta be trolling. Didn't think going all in on Brian was the answer here

Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel

Source: Iowa’s hire of Abdul Hodge as TE coach marks a change in responsibility of Iowa OC Brian Ferentz, who switches from TE coach to QB coach. Longtime QB coach Ken O’Keefe stepped down in February.

Really????

First question, what is Okeefe's salary now. I usually dont get too involved with talking about Iowa football coaching salaries as the program brings in most all of the dough and has been self-funded for a long time. But I sure hope if Okeefe has really lessened his admin duties and job that he is down to being paid around 100K.

Now, if Okeefe changing jobs opens up a bunch of money then why not hire a real QB as the QB coach?? Is that because we are at the limit of how many assistant coaches we can have? I dont care if Brian F is getting better at coordinating an offense, he has never stood in the pocket with the ball in his hand surveying the field, pre-snap reading defenses, etc. I say you need a former good QB who is a good coach to fill this position.

Hodge is tough and a winner. I havent followed his coaching resume but if he has never coached TEnds he can immerse himself in the techniques of blocking and route running and use the coaching methods used at Tight End Univ.

Really????

First question, what is Okeefe's salary now. I usually dont get too involved with talking about Iowa football coaching salaries as the program brings in most all of the dough and has been self-funded for a long time. But I sure hope if Okeefe has really lessened his admin duties and job that he is down to being paid around 100K.

Now, if Okeefe changing jobs opens up a bunch of money then why not hire a real QB as the QB coach?? Is that because we are at the limit of how many assistant coaches we can have? I dont care if Brian F is getting better at coordinating an offense, he has never stood in the pocket with the ball in his hand surveying the field, pre-snap reading defenses, etc. I say you need a former good QB who is a good coach to fill this position.

Hodge is tough and a winner. I havent followed his coaching resume but if he has never coached TEnds he can immerse himself in the techniques of blocking and route running and use the coaching methods used at Tight End Univ.
Don't the majority (high majority) of OCs coach the QBs in P5 football? I am pretty sure they do. Now I don't believe that every OC in P5 football played QB. So they are just putting BF on the same ground as the high majority of P5 OCs.

College QB coaches don't spend a lot of time working on mechanics. This is why so many college (and now high school) QBs spend time in the offseason at QB camps and working with gurus. Most QB coaches/OCs spend their time with the QBs teaching the offense, reads, and timing to QBs. Schools like Iowa that don't hold up giant pictures of butterflies and Billy Bob Thorton have to spend more teaching the offense and audibles.

Why do most OCs coach QBs? They do it to cut out the middlemen and mistranslations - because it is more efficient.

I think our fanbase had it wrong, myself included, KOK was not brought in to mentor BF as an OC. He was brought in to teach BF how to coach QBs.

Well, this is a really disappointing development. Not because Hodge is returning, but because it means the Hawks won't be hiring a Passing Game Coordinator. With KOK leaving, it created a great opportunity for Brian to continue as OC and assume Running Game Coordinator duties since the TEs he coaches are such a key part of Iowa's run game anyway. Then they could have brought in a Passing Game Coordinator to coach the QBs & WRs. Had the perfect opportunity to shake things up a bit. Sad.

And so we are reminded once again............KF is stubborn. I wondered which was going to be stronger, family or program.

However, I may have been on this message boarch for at least 10 years. It's usually best that I don't post on message boards.

You were a lurker. The Dirty 30 scared away lurkers because they would post some shit take and then get piled on. The memes were thick. Jon Miller, former moderator of this board, knew that once the Dirty 30 was gone, the lurkers would come out of the woodwork. And here you are. Two posts in one day. Welcome.

Well who amongst us is surprised? If ever there was a move that shouldn't have surprised us it's that... I mean I'm tickled pink Hodge is coming on He'll be great. Dude is a top notch human being and I've heard some great things about him the last few yrs as he's bounced around getting his coaching wings different places. Bringing him on under about any capacity woulda made me happy.

That said of course KF just puts the QB coaching hat onto Brian. It's the lazy/logical way to go. Most OCs with BFs resume are looking for a new gig. The last thing KF wants to do is try hiring outside for either an OC or Qb coach if he can help it. I tend to agree with most of the media who I think wish KF wouda brought in some new blood for it. However if he did would it even matter? End of the day they are handcuffed to doing things KFs way. BF is too.

I thought BF might be able to put his own more diverse touch on the O but really all we've gotten is that they go for it on 4th downs more often. Not that they spread the field and create mismatches to take advantage of (Like Purdue I have man crush with how Brohm calls games) If Iowa could integrate some of what they do with our passing game good grief we'd be tough

Chuck Long's first coaching gig under Hayden was as a DB coach. Guys flip flop on both sides of the ball all the time. Reese Morgan went from d-line to o-line. Abdul will be fine.

Last edited: