Brian Ferentz Survivor Show

I thought it was an annual contract anyway, so once the season is over there's no need to rip it up. Just tell the guy he's not getting renewed.
Gotcha. Yeah I know that's how many of them are for assistants but for O & D coordinators I think some of them are on multi yr deals. Not sure about BFs though.

As far as ripping it up now that would at least shut up all the talking heads that want to keep making it a lazy talking point every week. That's all I'm referring too. But yeah being that it's just that easy to let go of assistants why would anything of this sort need to be put into a contract? Not one part of any of it makes any sense to have done for Barta

The iowa media are “fans”. Worried about getting their press pass taken away. Worried the coach won’t “like them” anymore. Worried other reporters will talk about them behind their back. Absolutely no reporting, digging for the real story anymore. Having an objective opinion. Just outright worship for the establishment. It’s been that way with the Iowa media for many years

I don't think they are so much fans as much as people trying to do their job without bias. They report whats going on. They're not there to advocate for us frustrated fans. They ask questions and the answers speak for themselves.

What's the old adage, any press is good press?

I mean, it sucks to be nationally relevant for something like this, but people are talking about Iowa football I guess. Every week its Colorado/Prime, Saban is done, and Brian Ferentz.....

If Iowa continues to win, and BF covers the spread, this could turn into one of those redemption type stories. But, while Iowa may win 10 games, I am less confident BF will ultimately cover the spread. If you are a sports talking head nationally, you are rooting for Iowa to go undefeated and average 19 points per game. That would fill a podcast.

Brian’s living rent free in this guy’s head. The fact is that the late touchdown was scored by a walk on running back. Let’s not mention the 3 or 4 plays that if Cade hits his receiver would have gone for touchdowns. This guy’s hate for Brian is through the roof. I understand that our offense is a national punchline. I’m just as tired of it as most of the rest of you. That being said when he comes at the Hawks with all that venom it makes me hope that Brian and the Hawks keep pissing him off. Just win baby.

Beth. Please. Shitcan your predecessors dumb contract provision. You can still fire BF is you want to at the end of the season. But, look like the adult in the room. Remove the provision. And put out a statement that you don't need an arbitrary provision to determine BF's future with the program. You will consult with the longest tenured coach in college football at year's end and decide together whether to extend Brian or not based upon the results on the field this season.

You would be a hero to most Hawk fans and it would cement your position as the permanent AD. Take control and start to wring out all things Barta from your department.
If any metrics should have been used, it should have been where the offense ranks in comparison to others. (Just finish in the top half statistically). Still...the whole thing is embarrasing.

If any metrics should have been used, it should have been where the offense ranks in comparison to others. (Just finish in the top half statistically). Still...the whole thing is embarrasing.
This is the opposite of Kirk's philosophy both on offense and defense. Yards don't matter. Only points matter.

Kirk does not care how many yards the defense gives up, he only cares how many points it gives up (and how many takeaways it gets and how many points the defense scores itself)

Kirk does not care how many yards the offense gets, he only cares how many points it gets (and how many times it turns the ball over and how many points it gives to the other team)

This is the opposite of Kirk's philosophy both on offense and defense. Yards don't matter. Only points matter.

Kirk does not care how many yards the defense gives up, he only cares how many points it gives up (and how many takeaways it gets and how many points the defense scores itself)

Kirk does not care how many yards the offense gets, he only cares how many points it gets (and how many times it turns the ball over and how many points it gives to the other team)
I don't think KFz cares about points either. Once we get ahead he goes armadillo ball. No more points needed.
I would argue that he does care about yards in that he wants to play ball control. To do that you have to make first downs...all be it at a controlled pace.

Regardless of the metric used, I don't think it's too much to ask for "average"...hell, how bout just within our own conference?

Last edited:
What's the old adage, any press is good press?

I mean, it sucks to be nationally relevant for something like this, but people are talking about Iowa football I guess. Every week its Colorado/Prime, Saban is done, and Brian Ferentz.....

If Iowa continues to win, and BF covers the spread, this could turn into one of those redemption type stories. But, while Iowa may win 10 games, I am less confident BF will ultimately cover the spread. If you are a sports talking head nationally, you are rooting for Iowa to go undefeated and average 19 points per game. That would fill a podcast.
False. That 1980s view of advertising and publicity has long since been disproven.

Beth. Please. Shitcan your predecessors dumb contract provision. You can still fire BF is you want to at the end of the season. But, look like the adult in the room. Remove the provision. And put out a statement that you don't need an arbitrary provision to determine BF's future with the program. You will consult with the longest tenured coach in college football at year's end and decide together whether to extend Brian or not based upon the results on the field this season.

You would be a hero to most Hawk fans and it would cement your position as the permanent AD. Take control and start to wring out all things Barta from your department.
If I could like this 1000 times it wouldn't be enough

Even if they removed the stipulation it wouldn’t stop the posts
True enough, but there is a difference between Iowa's offense being absolutely a joke and run by the coach's son, and this contract provision. There is only so many ways you can say BF sucks before it is not interesting to the media and social media folks. It fades. But, with the Drive for 325 angle, it gives a fresh and weekly angle to bring it up again and again to have some mathamatic way to show that BF is failing. Its funny. To everyone except us.

It was horrendously stupid in conception, and even dumber in application. Leave it to Barta and Iowa to encourage celebration of Iowa's failure......

Or what about if they are on the field and only have 4 first downs in a game? Or zero catches in a season?

4 first downs in a game? Sorry, best I can do is two first downs in 50 minutes of game time. The backup can get the other two first downs in garbage time. Could we add a fifth quarter so JV can get some reps as well?

I don't think KFz cares about points either. Once we get ahead he goes armadillo ball. No more points needed.
I would argue that he does care about yards in that he wants to play ball control. To do that you have to make first downs...all be it at a controlled pace.

Regardless of the metric used, I don't think it's too much to ask for "average"...hell, how bout just within our own conference?
I just want to break under 100 at this point...................and I'm being serious.

Donald Trump may disagree with you.
LOL...I get what you're saying but that's a matter of interpretation. Those who don't like him would tell you it's exactly the case...his public abrasiveness reinforces that. Those that do like him would tell you it's because of other things which they consider positives, in spite of his abrasiveness. (there are of course, exceptions to each)

But, speaking from an advertisting perspective. A "commercial" or exposure not only has to get one's attention, it has to make a positive impression that leads to someone taking action. There are plenty of cute commercials that don't drive people to make changes, and there are plenty of people that specifically avoid some products because their ads are irritating as hell. Both got attention, but the wrong kind of attention doesn't drive your brand.

Anyone who's been a victim of "boycotts" or "cancel culture" will tell you all publicity isn't good publicity....starting with Bud Light or Mel Tucker (to bring this back to sports).

IOWA is getting plenty of National attention right now. Do you really think it's good for the brand?

Last edited:
IOWA is getting plenty of National attention right now. Do you really think it's good for the brand?

On the flip side (I'll do anything to make myself feel better at the moment), if it wasn't Iowa (or someone very much like Iowa)...
There likely wouldn't be any attention.
It would get noted by local media and the local media of any opponent.
It would get noted nationally during any coverage or recap of a game with against a notable opponent like Penn St. (maybe)

But, if this was happening at any number of schools it would get zero attention outside of local coverage.
Certainly nobody outside of Utah would know if it was happening at Utah St.
Probably not a lot of conversation if it was happening somewhere like Kansas.
And nobody outside the Big 10 Network would really be talking about it if it was say Northwestern or Rutgers. Or maybe even Indiana or Illinois?

For it to receive the attention it gets, it has to be a quality enough program with some relevance for it to merit anything more than a mention.

Goonga goonga galunga. Goongala goonga.
So we got that going for us.

Which is nice.

Last edited:

Latest posts