Brian Ferentz rumors to NFL?

welcome to 2022...where anybody can create "media"
True, but he (Cory) puts on a good show. He has Don Patterson (former Hayden OC) on there throughout the season....and he has a basketball show with former Mr. Davis (and Bo Ryan) assistant Gary Close. Les Jepsen was on his show recently as well.

True, but he (Cory) puts on a good show. He has Don Patterson (former Hayden OC) on there throughout the season....and he has a basketball show with former Mr. Davis (and Bo Ryan) assistant Gary Close. Les Jepsen was on his show recently as well.
and....

I see what's going on. O'Keefe stepped down as QB coach because he'll be OC when the role opens up. Brian will go get 3 years in the NFL and then be ready to be HC when he's done.

I see what's going on. O'Keefe stepped down as QB coach because he'll be OC when the role opens up. Brian will go get 3 years in the NFL and then be ready to be HC when he's done.
Assuming he were to do well at his other stop(s) The coaching merry go round is impossible to predict. Everyone has assumed KF and BF have been positioning themselves for a smooth transfer of power ever since BF became TEs coach when he first came back. Or was he Oline coach I forget now but with BF being attached at the hip with Doyle for that whole thing I find it tough to think he'll ever get it.

I think we are watching for the wrong domino. To me it's Barta. If he retires before KF or at same time than the new one is going to do who knows what. If Barta is still AD when KF retires then yeah the door for BF to get it isn't shut but he's the only way it could be open.

We've had 3 OC's under Kirk, it doesn't really matter who is in that spot because this is Kirk's offense. This also leads to no OC worth a shit wanting this job. Who wants to come to Iowa and be Kirks scapegoat? Who wants to be an OC where there is 20+ years of micromanagement? Who wants to come to a school that is likely never going to have a top 50 offense? It's a dead end position frankly and I'm just fine with it being Brian until Kirk is gone because it literally doesn't matter. Iowa would likely find another Greg Davis type - who is on the back end of their career, who just want to collect a paycheck and bow out of the game because they have no aspirations of going further than being an OC.

My thoughts.

Last edited:
We've had 3 OC's under Kirk, it doesn't really matter who is in that spot because this is Kirk's offense. This also leads to no OC worth a shit wanting this job. Who wants to come to Iowa and be Kirks scapegoat? Who wants to be an OC where there is 20+ years of micromanagement? Who wants to come to a school that is likely never going to have a top 50 offense? It's a dead end position frankly and I'm just fine with it being Brian until Kirk is gone because it literally doesn't matter. Iowa would likely find another Greg Davis type - who is on the back end of their career, who just want to collect a paycheck and bow out of the game because they have no aspirations of going further than being an OC.

My thoughts.
What current OC at a MAC school would want to come to a Big10 school with a lot of returning talent and try to show that he can put a pulse into KF's offense with a little creativity in design and playcalling? I am guessing many.

Remember, these coaches are not exactly humble men. Most of them aspire to climb the ladder and all of them think they can do it better than the guy before them. I suspect there would be a lot of interest in the Iowa OC position if it came open. Maybe not household names, but a young and inventive coach needing a chance.

And remember, the 3 OCs KF has had are his best friend, his kid and a fucking carnival clown. Maybe a fresh young mind can figure out a way to run KF's offense better with some reasonable tweaks. Wisconsin's offense doesn't suck most years......

What current OC at a MAC school would want to come to a Big10 school with a lot of returning talent and try to show that he can put a pulse into KF's offense with a little creativity in design and playcalling? I am guessing many.

Remember, these coaches are not exactly humble men. Most of them aspire to climb the ladder and all of them think they can do it better than the guy before them. I suspect there would be a lot of interest in the Iowa OC position if it came open. Maybe not household names, but a young and inventive coach needing a chance.

And remember, the 3 OCs KF has had are his best friend, his kid and a fucking carnival clown. Maybe a fresh young mind can figure out a way to run KF's offense better with some reasonable tweaks. Wisconsin's offense doesn't suck most years......

Could but won't. KFz is and always has been... the governor on this offense. I'm guessing that's pretty well-known in coaching circles.

If you're a young OC, going to Iowa is career suicide and there are 20+ years to document that. That's all I am saying. Young innovative coaching talent can read the writing on the wall with the Iowa job right? Those guys are looking for stepping stones to better jobs in most cases. You're not provided that opportunity at Iowa, because the head man in charge isn't going to chop your balls off before you even get started.

If you're a young OC, going to Iowa is career suicide and there are 20+ years to document that. That's all I am saying. Young innovative coaching talent can read the writing on the wall with the Iowa job right? Those guys are looking for stepping stones to better jobs in most cases. You're not provided that opportunity at Iowa, because the head man in charge isn't going to chop your balls off before you even get started.
May seem harsh but it's true... Like who else was he looking at hiring at the time he hired GD? Hiring an older yes man looking for a golden parachute as he retires was exactly the kind of person KF wants. The only person under 45 he'd even consider for that gig was his kid. If he were to replace BF now it'd be a very interesting hire. Between who KF would want and what all assistants out there would there be mutual interest?

I'm definitely not trying to be harsh and I am sure there are plenty of coaches who want a good paying gig in the B1G. But Kirks on his way out - so stability isn't even something he could offer. Anybody he'd hire would know they only have a few seasons to do the job.

I just don't necessarily see the next hire as being a can't miss upgrade if you catch what I am laying down. Likely not as good - I don't want that.

My thoughts.
There has been scuttlebutt from people actually associated with the team about LeVar Woods and I think that'd be great. Even if he's somewhat hamstrung by Kirk, KF is without a doubt in his sunset years and if LW could take the keys it's my firm belief that Iowa would rise to the next level. That's not strictly homerism by me, there are a lot of folks out there who aren't tied to the program saying Iowa better hold on to him because he's going to be a top 5 head coach somewhere eventually.

And there was also a tweet by an Iowa player at one point with a picture of LW & his family on the field after a win...and a hashtag that said #heirapparent. I know that part is meaningless conjecture, but I also think that there's sooooooooo much behind the curtains at a P5 program that we are not aware of whatsoever. A guy can dream...

There has been scuttlebutt from people actually associated with the team about LeVar Woods and I think that'd be great. Even if he's somewhat hamstrung by Kirk, KF is without a doubt in his sunset years and if LW could take the keys it's my firm belief that Iowa would rise to the next level. That's not strictly homerism by me, there are a lot of folks out there who aren't tied to the program saying Iowa better hold on to him because he's going to be a top 5 head coach somewhere eventually.

And there was also a tweet by an Iowa player at one point with a picture of LW & his family on the field after a win...and a hashtag that said #heirapparent. I know that part is meaningless conjecture, but I also think that there's sooooooooo much behind the curtains at a P5 program that we are not aware of whatsoever. A guy can dream...
Hiring within is the only way I see Iowa making an upgrade at that spot, so if that's the case I am in favor too.

I just don't buy that KF is this tyrant who is constraining the OC on playcalling and style. Does he demand complimentary football, ball control and ball security? Sure. But, beyond that, I don't see KF calling plays and formations during the game.

KOK and KF have been friends for 40 years. They coach the same. BF is KF's son and grew up in the KOK system. So, you gotta see that with a grain of salt. They all think alike. Greg Davis, as big a dumbass as he was, brought his own offense to Iowa. We went away from the power zone blocking system and ran shotgun and basically a run and shoot horizontal passing game. I remember KF saying he was not dictating the offense to Davis (maybe he should have).

If BF leaves, it does some likely that someone internal gets elevated.

My point is that I don't buy that KF won't let his OC innovate. He just hired three guys that don't know how to fucking do that!

Latest posts