Brian Ferentz rumors to NFL?

Uh, not to be the Debbie Downer here, but wouldn't 2-3 additional years of NFL experience really solidify the transition to HC.........

Uh, not to be the Debbie Downer here, but wouldn't 2-3 additional years of NFL experience really solidify the transition to HC.........
It would and he's going to have to leave before he gets it no matter what at this point because he hasn't had a very successful stint as OC and the baggage that went along with the racial bias case. He needs to go somewhere, prove he can be successful (he likely will be FWIW in my mind because he's a sharp up and coming guy) and then Iowa fans will welcome him back with arms wide open. As Iowa fans, gotta just hope he doesn't go all Zac Taylor or something in the NFL.

We've had 3 OC's under Kirk, it doesn't really matter who is in that spot because this is Kirk's offense. This also leads to no OC worth a shit wanting this job. Who wants to come to Iowa and be Kirks scapegoat? Who wants to be an OC where there is 20+ years of micromanagement? Who wants to come to a school that is likely never going to have a top 50 offense? It's a dead end position frankly and I'm just fine with it being Brian until Kirk is gone because it literally doesn't matter. Iowa would likely find another Greg Davis type - who is on the back end of their career, who just want to collect a paycheck and bow out of the game because they have no aspirations of going further than being an OC.

My thoughts.
But the money is better than 99% of what other people make. I mean really.

But I know what you mean as there has been very little change in Iowa's offense. We have maybe seen 1 shovel pass in the last 10 years??? Hell Andy Reid and Bienimy call two or three a game many times

Please, dear Lord. Let it be so.
Let us PRAY and Drink huh? And new line-backer coach in Miami? Let the brothers double assault the NFL with their WARES.. They say apples do not fall fromthe tree. Could there be Joy in Mudville? I could think of 2 more that would make a Family 4-some... Does U-haul sell beer besides boxes? A complete quick stop.. Msu next.. Go Hawk Players! Always tough. Us fans waay cool also..

Everyone is going to have complaints about the offense, defense, coaching decisions, and I bitch as much (well, almost) as everyone else. I'm a numbers guy, so numbers tell me the story. I'm also one that doesn't like change in case it doesn't make things better (Davis/Alford). Could it be better? Yes. Have we scored points and won games? Since the expansion, Iowa has the 3rd most conference wins. I'm not sure I want to take a chance of messing with that, but I understand others thinking otherwise.

Points per game in conference games the past 2 seasons.

OSU 43.9 (13-1)
Michigan 31.8 (10-5)
Iowa 28.3 (13-4)
Minny 27.1 (9-6)
Purdue 26.7 (8-7)
PSU 26.3 (7-10)
Wisky 26.2 (8-6)
Nebby 24.9 (3-13)
MSU 23.6 (9-7)
Maryland 22.6 (5-9)
Rutgers 20.2 (5-12)
Illinois 19.7 (6-10)
Indiana 19.1 (6-10)
NW 18.8 (7-9)

Everyone is going to have complaints about the offense, defense, coaching decisions, and I bitch as much (well, almost) as everyone else. I'm a numbers guy, so numbers tell me the story. I'm also one that doesn't like change in case it doesn't make things better (Davis/Alford). Could it be better? Yes. Have we scored points and won games? Since the expansion, Iowa has the 3rd most conference wins. I'm not sure I want to take a chance of messing with that, but I understand others thinking otherwise.

OSU 43.9 (13-1)
Michigan 31.8 (10-5)
Iowa 28.3 (13-4)
Minny 27.1 (9-6)
Purdue 26.7 (8-7)
PSU 26.3 (7-10)
Wisky 26.2 (8-6)
Nebby 24.9 (3-13)
MSU 23.6 (9-7)
Maryland 22.6 (5-9)
Rutgers 20.2 (5-12)
Illinois 19.7 (6-10)
Indiana 19.1 (6-10)
NW 18.8 (7-9)
I'm so tired of this.

If you don't understand that Phil Parker's defense literally adds 5 points per game on offense, than you can no longer call yourself a "numbers guy". Please stop being "confirmation bias numbers guy."

I just don't buy that KF is this tyrant who is constraining the OC on playcalling and style. Does he demand complimentary football, ball control and ball security? Sure. But, beyond that, I don't see KF calling plays and formations during the game.

KOK and KF have been friends for 40 years. They coach the same. BF is KF's son and grew up in the KOK system. So, you gotta see that with a grain of salt. They all think alike. Greg Davis, as big a dumbass as he was, brought his own offense to Iowa. We went away from the power zone blocking system and ran shotgun and basically a run and shoot horizontal passing game. I remember KF saying he was not dictating the offense to Davis (maybe he should have).

If BF leaves, it does some likely that someone internal gets elevated.

My point is that I don't buy that KF won't let his OC innovate. He just hired three guys that don't know how to fucking do that!

While at Allegheny, KOK ran a shotgun with at least 4 wideouts for offense while compiling a 79-10-1 record. That's a little bit different than we saw when he was OC. Davis ran mostly his own offense - we still ran a lot of zone blocking running plays. Brian got rid of the horizontal passing game and basically went back to the same pass plays while still running zone blocking schemes that KOK ran.

It's been Kirk's offense with minor adaptations by each of the three OCs he's had.

OSU 43.9 (13-1)
Michigan 31.8 (10-5)
Iowa 28.3 (13-4)
Minny 27.1 (9-6)
Purdue 26.7 (8-7)
PSU 26.3 (7-10)
Wisky 26.2 (8-6)
Nebby 24.9 (3-13)
MSU 23.6 (9-7)
Maryland 22.6 (5-9)
Rutgers 20.2 (5-12)
Illinois 19.7 (6-10)
Indiana 19.1 (6-10)
NW 18.8 (7-9)
Never would have guessed. And no, I am not kidding. Hmm.

While at Allegheny, KOK ran a shotgun with at least 4 wideouts for offense while compiling a 79-10-1 record. That's a little bit different than we saw when he was OC. Davis ran mostly his own offense - we still ran a lot of zone blocking running plays. Brian got rid of the horizontal passing game and basically went back to the same pass plays while still running zone blocking schemes that KOK ran.

It's been Kirk's offense with minor adaptations by each of the three OCs he's had.
Correct. Offense 97% H/c. Go Hawks.

I'm so tired of this.

If you don't understand that Phil Parker's defense literally adds 5 points per game on offense, than you can no longer call yourself a "numbers guy". Please stop being "confirmation bias numbers guy."
I will never say that Parker isn't the best DC in the league, but other teams' defenses get their teams points as well. As those numbers being a "confirmation bias". If I was going to try to prove my opinion that BF is great, I would search through numbers to try to prove it.

Being a numbers guy, I did the opposite. I wanted to have the numbers help tell me see how bad/good our offense has been. When I think about our offense, the Purdue and Wisconsin games stick out, but I wanted to see the whole picture because all teams have those games. I went to what I considered the most telling stats, not cherry picked data. I did find the numbers and, to my surprise, we're ranked pretty high in ppg, and I added to my stats that we've won a lot of games. That made me want to pump the breaks a bit.

If I posted that Iowa gave up 5.6 ppg on the first 2 drives of the game, and that it means that Parker doesn't have his team ready and is a terrible DC, or that Iowa led the conference in 2018 in rushing yards per play on 2nd down against teams whose names start with one of the first 12 letters of the alphabet to prove that our offense is great, that would be confirmation bias. For me to use ppg to show that some (myself included) need to pump the breaks a bit on bashing our offense and that we have won as many conference games in the last 2 years as anyone else.

I am by no means a BF apologist, but I'm also not a guy that wants to replace him with the first guy that's watched the most football games on TV. I try to see the offense as a whole. I have been a DC in HS for the last 24 years and I rewatch the games to see what teams are doing to Iowa and what Iowa is doing to teams schematically on both offense and defense, more for enjoyment and to help me look for game planning and adjustments. The things I see that we need are a more accurate QB and better OT's. I will also say that I'm not a fan of how little we attack defenses' weaknesses, especially when it's gaining us yards. I've never been an OC, so I don't know why we don't. It makes me question BF, but I also realize that there's more to it than I'll ever understand, which is why I'm not always as vocal as others.

You are missing my point. I agree that KOK and KF developed the initial offense in 2000 that centered around zone blocking. That stuck till Davis. Davis installed a very different offense. Brian went back to what KOK was doing. But, that is just a game of turd tag.

My point is that KF may put guardrails around what the offense does schematically, but he isn't calling the formation, personnel and most importantly, the plays. The OC is very much given the freedom to design the game plan and call the plays. That is where the rubber meets the road.

Teams can win with a zone blocking pro style system. Ask Wisconsin and Alabama. Teams could win with whatever hybrid system you wanted to call Davis'. But, the problem is not KF's offensive philosophy and guardrails, the problem is that KF has hired three guys in 23 years that are not all that creative and talented when it comes to game planning and play calling. We don't need a new system, we need better hires.

Sounds like the oop-de-oop to me

We've had 3 OC's under Kirk, it doesn't really matter who is in that spot because this is Kirk's offense. This also leads to no OC worth a shit wanting this job. Who wants to come to Iowa and be Kirks scapegoat? Who wants to be an OC where there is 20+ years of micromanagement? Who wants to come to a school that is likely never going to have a top 50 offense? It's a dead end position frankly and I'm just fine with it being Brian until Kirk is gone because it literally doesn't matter. Iowa would likely find another Greg Davis type - who is on the back end of their career, who just want to collect a paycheck and bow out of the game because they have no aspirations of going further than being an OC.

My thoughts.

Remember when Greg Davis came in and they tried to marry Greg's offensive style with Kirk's offensive philosophy?! It was a freaking disaster. Greg was doing that throw to the outside and get the player in space to make a play. This with unathletic WR's. He didn't have Texas's athleticism and speed at that position. They also were doing that option route thingy with receivers where the WR would read the defender and possibly change the route. The WR and QB were never on the same page so downfield passes were a challenge and James Vandenberg suffered thru that shit show as the QB. They tried all this trying to follow Kirk's offensive philosophy of controlling the line of scrimmage and time of possession.

It was like sticking a square thru a round hole.

Last edited:
Remember when Greg Davis came in and they tried to marry Greg's offensive style with Kirk's offensive philosophy?! It was a freaking disaster. Greg was doing that throw to the outside and get the player in space to make a play. This with unathletic WR's. He didn't have Texas's athleticism and speed at that position. They also were doing that option route thingy with receivers where the WR would read the defender and possibly change the route. The WR and QB were never on the same page so downfield passes were a challenge and James Vandenberg suffered thru that shit show as the QB. They tried all this trying to follow Kirk's offensive philosophy of controlling the line of scrimmage and time of possession.

It was like sticking a square thru a round hole.

Vandenberg was a decent QB who was absolutely ruined by Davis. I'm not going to look it up, but I think he went from 30 TDs under OKeefe to 6 under Davis. Davis's system might have been fine for an NFL team and I do note that Texas has totally blown ass since he left, but it was clear Iowa did not have the personnel to execute with it.

No doubt. BUT...he still wouldn't have HC experience, which would seem pretty important.
Would make more sense if he took the HC position at Maine (for example) for a few years.

A little different angle might be this; BFz knows KFz's retirement plan and wants to get re-established in the NFL while he still can as he knows his chances aren't very good to succeed Dad at IOWA.

He could also be making a play to position himself for negotiations for the IOWA HC position. Hey Gary...am I gonna get this job or do you want to lose me to the NFL? We all know what an easy touch Barta is when is comes to contract negotiations and extension.

Last edited:
I will never say that Parker isn't the best DC in the league, but other teams' defenses get their teams points as well. As those numbers being a "confirmation bias". If I was going to try to prove my opinion that BF is great, I would search through numbers to try to prove it.

Being a numbers guy, I did the opposite. I wanted to have the numbers help tell me see how bad/good our offense has been. When I think about our offense, the Purdue and Wisconsin games stick out, but I wanted to see the whole picture because all teams have those games. I went to what I considered the most telling stats, not cherry picked data. I did find the numbers and, to my surprise, we're ranked pretty high in ppg, and I added to my stats that we've won a lot of games. That made me want to pump the breaks a bit.

If I posted that Iowa gave up 5.6 ppg on the first 2 drives of the game, and that it means that Parker doesn't have his team ready and is a terrible DC, or that Iowa led the conference in 2018 in rushing yards per play on 2nd down against teams whose names start with one of the first 12 letters of the alphabet to prove that our offense is great, that would be confirmation bias. For me to use ppg to show that some (myself included) need to pump the breaks a bit on bashing our offense and that we have won as many conference games in the last 2 years as anyone else.

I am by no means a BF apologist, but I'm also not a guy that wants to replace him with the first guy that's watched the most football games on TV. I try to see the offense as a whole. I have been a DC in HS for the last 24 years and I rewatch the games to see what teams are doing to Iowa and what Iowa is doing to teams schematically on both offense and defense, more for enjoyment and to help me look for game planning and adjustments. The things I see that we need are a more accurate QB and better OT's. I will also say that I'm not a fan of how little we attack defenses' weaknesses, especially when it's gaining us yards. I've never been an OC, so I don't know why we don't. It makes me question BF, but I also realize that there's more to it than I'll ever understand, which is why I'm not always as vocal as others.
Given your background, I will listen to you more closely. No, I'm not kidding.

You are missing my point. I agree that KOK and KF developed the initial offense in 2000 that centered around zone blocking. That stuck till Davis. Davis installed a very different offense. Brian went back to what KOK was doing. But, that is just a game of turd tag.

My point is that KF may put guardrails around what the offense does schematically, but he isn't calling the formation, personnel and most importantly, the plays. The OC is very much given the freedom to design the game plan and call the plays. That is where the rubber meets the road.

Teams can win with a zone blocking pro style system. Ask Wisconsin and Alabama. Teams could win with whatever hybrid system you wanted to call Davis'. But, the problem is not KF's offensive philosophy and guardrails, the problem is that KF has hired three guys in 23 years that are not all that creative and talented when it comes to game planning and play calling. We don't need a new system, we need better hires.
You are right. The resurgence of the Packer run game is all about zone schemes. It has also prolonged the life of AR at the QB spot. Because the Pack has a run game, and AR has been coached to get rid of the ball and not screw around too long, he hasn't been sacked as much and taken fewer hits. Zone blocking is fine. Personnel to run it and play calling, as you have said, are critically important.

Latest posts