Brian Ferentz is still awful

His mix of play calling is just terrible. It’s like he will never call a successful play more than a few times.
I was watching a Hawk game from the early 90s I believe and they ran a simple swing pass to the back for about 20 yards. Next play ran the same thing to the other side for over 20. Then inside the 5 yard line I don’t know how many times they ran the 2 back cross misdirection.
Hayden always said scratch where it itches, it seems like we BF is comfortable with the itch

we ran the PA boot a few times in the first half and were successful. Don’t think we saw it again until midway through the 4th quarter. Run that till they stop it. It essentially an extension of the run game anyway.

I am still confused to what he is trying to do from a scheme standpoint. A lot doesn’t seem to mesh and when it does it seems like it gets abandoned

this is my biggest issue with him and it’s so obvious he’s never called plays before.

he doesn’t scratch where it itches. He talks about doing one thing and does the opposite (and i don’t think it’s to fool the opposing teams

his prep for becoming an OC was to pretend to call plays by watching film

this is year 3 with him as the man for offense and it was the worst offense since JC 2007

stanley didn’t help matter either but that’s also on him for not coaching him up, or getting other guys playing time to see if there’s a spark

We mustn’t treat my son Bri like that. If I did not bring him on as my offensive coordinator a few years back he would be coaching against us in the Big Ten Conference.

LOL, so you really think Iowa should have gone 5-0 vs top 25 teams beating 3 of them on the road.

Having had the benefit of watching and of course 20/20 hindsight. Just a few less free rushers and a couple tds vs. Fgs vs Mich and Wisc.... maybe not 5-0, but a West title, trip to Indy...yes.

An avg to above avg oline(interior oline) by Iowa standards, with this defense....

I dont know man. I would've taken 9-3 in a heartbeat prior to the season. That said, having watched them all.... the interior oline...thus the poor protection vs Mich, PSU and lack of running game...

Just missed by a couple pieces, a couple yards, a catch here and there, a td vs a fg just a few more times....

Having seen it all play out, it just feels like we were so close....

I'll happily take 10-3 with a bowl win and a top 15 finish. A West title, even with a loss to OSU, would have been awesome. It felt soooo close.

Having had the benefit of watching and of course 20/20 hindsight. Just a few less free rushers and a couple tds vs. Fgs vs Mich and Wisc.... maybe not 5-0, but a West title, trip to Indy...yes.

An avg to above avg oline(interior oline) by Iowa standards, with this defense....

I dont know man. I would've taken 9-3 in a heartbeat prior to the season. That said, having watched them all.... the interior oline...thus the poor protection vs Mich, PSU and lack of running game...

Just missed by a couple pieces, a couple yards, a catch here and there.

Having seen it all play out, it just feels like we were so close....

I'll happily take 10-3 with a bowl win and a top 15 finish. A West title, even with a loss to OSU, would have been awesome. It felt soooo close.

We played 5 top 25 teams all of them really tight games. So if we played them all again maybe we beat Penn st and Michigan and Wisconsin, but lose to ISU and Minnesota. Maybe we beat only Penn st and Minnesota and lose to Michigan ISU and Wisconsin.

Thinking Iowa should go 5-0 vs those teams is a pipe dream, that was never ever going to happen.

We played 5 top 25 teams all of them really tight games. So if we played them all again maybe we beat Penn st and Michigan and Wisconsin, but lose to ISU and Minnesota. Maybe we beat only Penn st and Minnesota and lose to Michigan ISU and Wisconsin.

Thinking Iowa should go 5-0 vs those teams is a pipe dream, that was never ever going to happen.

I get what you're saying.

But we can agree. F nebby.

Go Hawks.

How many times did Duncan bail us out this year? With an “average” kicker and the same OC we’re 6-6 or even 5-7.

Yeah, this OC thing is not a good fit for Brian.

Stanley took a lot of blame for BFs and the oline issues. Yes, he missed some throws, has his shortcomings, but BF and his "mix" of calls, especially inside the 40 and having an issue in the interior oline....I'm not sold on him as OC, and absolutely not on board with him taking the HC reigns, not yet.

Hoping he can prove me wrong...

Stanley took a lot of blame for BFs and the oline issues. Yes, he missed some throws, has his shortcomings, but BF and his "mix" of calls, especially inside the 40 and having an issue in the interior oline....I'm not sold on him as OC, and absolutely not on board with him taking the HC reigns, not yet.

Hoping he can prove me wrong...

BF has shown absolutely nothing that indicates he would be a good hire at head coach. This is so obvious and it’s confusing to me why he’s so commonly mentioned in the “next HC” discussion. Kirk does not have the power to appoint his son head coach.

As for the offense, I actually like our players/talent and the general style of our playcalling and offensive design. And I’m saying that with a straight face. At its best, which happens very rarely, we aim for the combination of classic power sets, and vertically attacking spread pass concepts.It fits our DNA and aligns with Iowa’s talents and typical player capabilities.

But something about this run game has got to give. It almost seems like BF doesn’t understand how a 2 yard loss on a 1st down a running play kill the drive (every time). We’ve been in 2nd and 12 for years... We are not the kind of team they can easily convert from 2nd and 12. No, I don’t think grandparents wants to lose 2 yards on our base run please. But how many times will it happen before we adjust? Do I want Iowa to run power zones schemes, yes. If we know they don’t work, should we keep running it because it’s who we are? No.

Minimum of 11-1. Frustrating and "what could been".

West division title would have been great. Even though West winner likely to get drilled by OSU.

Win the bowl game and I'll ultimately feel solid about the year.
Yo PRAY for Cupcake! 10 Wins unreal for Obvious Reasons. Players Pulled it out.Fun Day to be Hawk Fan. Like The French Queen said; eat cake or us Cupcakes! Still a Cool Win.

How many times did Duncan bail us out this year? With an “average” kicker and the same OC we’re 6-6 or even 5-7.

Yeah, this OC thing is not a good fit for Brian.

Hold on here. I'm told Iowa should be 12-0 this year. Now I'm being told Iowa should be 6-6 if it weren't for our kicker talent. #whichisit

Well I'm pretty proud of our coaches, pretty tough to stay cool when the refs decide to give the other team an entire quarter.
I'm usually pretty chill, but that crap gets my blood boiling. Like KF said winning is tough enough, you don't need that crap.

Latest posts