Box Score

blubberhawk

When does a team that has 3 more field goals, 2 more made 3 point shots, and out rebounds the other team by over 20 rebounds lose a game by six points?
I guess when Iowa plays.. 1-8 from the free throw line? WTF? Did Iowa really need to jack up 37, 3 pt. attempts against a team that sucks inside?
Thank God we can look forward to the baseball season.. Hawks got it going there!

When does a team that has 3 more field goals, 2 more made 3 point shots, and out rebounds the other team by over 20 rebounds lose a game by six points?
I guess when Iowa plays.. 1-8 from the free throw line? WTF? Did Iowa really need to jack up 37, 3 pt. attempts against a team that sucks inside?
Thank God we can look forward to the baseball season.. Hawks got it going there!

18 turnovers that lead to 28 ISU points. Cut the TO down, and shoot your FT and you win that game. Simple as that really.

These stats demonstrate that Fran Ball...(a copy of Golden State's frenetic style) needs to function like a Ferrari...with a talented PG, quality outside shooters...but if one or two pistons aren't firing...it limps...and sputters, with odd statistics...which, of course, are for losers.

Rebuilding year, need the right type of players...sigh

BTW...Golden State can make free throws.

In theory we would like to get the ball inside, however the only guy on our team who knows how to get post position right now is Pemsl, and on top of that it appears nobody on our team knows how to make a post entry pass. Therefore you see 18 turnovers and a lot of 3s jacked up at the end of the shot clock.

Agree - to be honest, the loses at ISU, VT and UI didn't bother me at all... those losses in the Cayman's and to PSU on the other hand.

Yep. Don't get me wrong, not having any realistic shot to make the tourney sucks really, really bad. But I want the individual games to at least be fun to watch from here on out. A couple weeks ago, they weren't even close to being fun to watch. Now they are at least close.

It was too bad they started to go to Pemsl so late. There was a stretch there where he was owning the paint doing what Cook should have been. Cook is so slow and deliberate with his moves. Pemsl has a better feel for playing with his back to the basket down there. But to answer your question about shooting so many 3s the answer is yes when you suck at making & getting to the FT line and turn it over 18 times....

Shooting that many 3s was fine for me. They were doubling down every time we threw it inaide. There weren't many 3 point shots I didn't like. What I hated were the 2 shots where a foot was on the line. Of course we made both of those. Get your foot off the line and if just Ellingson makes his free throws, we are down one instead of 5 and it's a completely different game late.

They showed improvement, and that was what I wanted to see. Still can't figure what B1G team this group will be able to beat.:confused:

They showed improvement, and that was what I wanted to see. Still can't figure what B1G team this group will be able to beat.:confused:

About 5 home games and 1 or 2 road games as long as they always play with the effort they did last night. The Big 10 is really bad this year and our schedule is about as easy as it gets. We have maybe 2 or 3 road games that will be tougher than the ISU one.

At this point I was excited that this Iowa team may be watchable this winter. The NCAAT is way out the window as is being competitive in the conference. Maybe they can continue to improve, get a grad transfer pg and hopefully convince Catron to come to IAC. Bc Catron should know that if Iowa has either Donovan Jackson, Weiler-Babb or Wiggington on its roster, it would compete for a top B1G finish and a decent NCAA seed.

Also, more MD please. He looked like the best perimeter defender last night and hit the boards.

OMG, that is another freaking gripe I have. What is up with players shooting such a crappy FT% anymore, college or pro. They obviously don't practice it like in years past. There are no consistent 85% or above shooters anymore. A team seems lucky to shoot 72% from the line anymore.

I don't recall Fran's teams ever shooting a respectable FT %. It was that and the TO's they had last night.

I was yelling the same thing last night, Why aren't they going inside, at least to get fouls? Iowa had the height as they will most games. Why not go inside or penetrate. Iowa had trouble passing out the of double teams which they need to learn to do.

Shooting that many 3s was fine for me. They were doubling down every time we threw it inaide. There weren't many 3 point shots I didn't like. What I hated were the 2 shots where a foot was on the line. Of course we made both of those. Get your foot off the line and if just Ellingson makes his free throws, we are down one instead of 5 and it's a completely different game late.

They need to learn how to pass out of a double-team, though, somebody is open.

This game didn't really bother me big picture wise like the other losses did.

Same here. I just couldn't believe our "solution" was to give Ellingson 30 minutes. Fran is clearly trying everything, but turnovers and poor free throw shooting is destroying this team.

Same here. I just couldn't believe our "solution" was to give Ellingson 30 minutes. Fran is clearly trying everything, but turnovers and poor free throw shooting is destroying this team.

The thing is... is BE is hustling, working through screens and getting open and open looks...which in turn, makes the entire offensive flow better than when he's NOT on the floor. When Moss goes in, everything stops. Fran is playing BE because as of now he's the only answer.

The thing is... is BE is hustling, working through screens and getting open and open looks...which in turn, makes the entire offensive flow better than when he's NOT on the floor. When Moss goes in, everything stops. Fran is playing BE because as of now he's the only answer.

I get what you're saying...but when your Shooting Guard is playing 30 minutes and shooting 17% then he's a liability. Meanwhile Maishe was hustling (6 rebounds) and shooting well. Nunge's 3 wasn't falling but he still had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists.

At this point my main unit would be Maishe, Bohannon, Nunge, Baer, Cook. Then I'd rotate in Pemsl often and the rest of the team gets limited minutes.

I get what you're saying...but when your Shooting Guard is playing 30 minutes and shooting 17% then he's a liability. Meanwhile Maishe was hustling (6 rebounds) and shooting well. Nunge's 3 wasn't falling but he still had 16 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists.

At this point my main unit would be Maishe, Bohannon, Nunge, Baer, Cook. Then I'd rotate in Pemsl often and the rest of the team gets limited minutes.

yeah, he's been shooting horribly. No debate .... and it's CRAZY to me that I am even insinuating that Brady has been one of the better options cause I basically said don't play him at all at the beginning of year. He just moves within the offense. I also like the way Dailey has been flashing and improving, but even with BE cold shooting, I still am more confident in his shot going in over MD at THIS point of the year. Maybe MD will develop a consistent shot, but if you have 10 shots a game to give to a player, even with how bad BE has shot lately, I'd still rather he take them over MD at this point. Just my opinion. I also am NOT saying that BE is the answer or a good player or anything...other then, he's getting the minutes because he doesn't just stand around and when he's been in the game - he at least is getting open and you can't say that for Moss right now...even though I think Moss is twice the player with way more upside and potential.

yeah, he's been shooting horribly. No debate .... and it's CRAZY to me that I am even insinuating that Brady has been one of the better options cause I basically said don't play him at all at the beginning of year. He just moves within the offense. I also like the way Dailey has been flashing and improving, but even with BE cold shooting, I still am more confident in his shot going in over MD at THIS point of the year. Maybe MD will develop a consistent shot, but if you have 10 shots a game to give to a player, even with how bad BE has shot lately, I'd still rather he take them over MD at this point. Just my opinion. I also am NOT saying that BE is the answer or a good player or anything...other then, he's getting the minutes because he doesn't just stand around and when he's been in the game - he at least is getting open and you can't say that for Moss right now...even though I think Moss is twice the player with way more upside and potential.

Yeah I had BE sloted as a lock to transfer next year since he'll be a grad transfer candidate and Iowa has Wieskamp coming in. However at this point Ellingson is somehow one of our main contributors so I'm not sure why he would go anywhere else after this season. Anymore I worry about guys like Moss getting disinterested and moving on over Brady.

Brady hasn't been shooting great, but he just came off a game at Indiana where he shot 6-9 (3-4 from three) and scored his career high 16 points. Shooters (and their coaches) always think they are making the next shot. They think they will shoot better the next game. It just isn't happening consistently enough for the Hawkeyes this year. The real question is - will his shooting be consistently good going forward?

Latest posts