Bowl talk

Herkyalert

Banned
I know the season isn't over but what bowls do Iowa have a realistic shot at right now?

I'm guessing the Pizza Bowl is out for sure now. ESPN had Iowa in the Pinstripe Bowl last week.

Where do you think Iowa ends up?

Car Care Bowl? Ticket City Bowl?

Last edited:
I think they can actually jump to 5th in the bowl picks for the Big Ten. Especially if they knock of Nebraska and Penn St. loses + the whole situation they are going through right now and how that will effect them.

Well the Ticket City had already said they would not pass on Iowa if they were still there so ESPN's projections were wrong anyway. But now that Iowa has won their 7th game I think the Gator has to be looking at us. But I do not think we fall any lower than the Car Care bowl, which would be a fun game against the B12.

I think Iowa will end up the 4-6 range of Big Ten teams selected. Either Outback (if the Hawks beat Nebraska, Michigan goes to a BCS bowl, and the Outback spurns a potentially unhappy Husker fanbase), Gator, Insight, or Houston.

I want to see how this PSU-OSU game ends...if PSU wins, it could make things a bit stickier as it relates for Iowa in the Gator.

Iowa will not be picked before Nebraska. Any bowl that in the past would never have had a chance at Nebraska will jump at the chance to get them.

Not the Rose Bowl
Not the Cap One Bowl
Not the Outback Bowl
Gator / Insight Bowl would be best case scenario but HIGHLY unlikely
Texas Bowl
Dallas Football Classic

Here is who is ahead of us right now:

MSU
Michigan
Nebraska
Penn State
Wisky

We are currently 1/2 game up on fOSU and they are losing so that would put us one full game ahead with one game remaining for each team. Both teams have tough games (Iowa @ Nebraska and fOSU @ Michigan). Both teams are likely to lose which would give the nod to Iowa but not guaranteed (see bowl selection process).

Big10 is getting one team to the BCS (Rose Bowl). That means that there are going to be at least 9 teams eligible for bowl bids with 10 if Purdue can win next week.

Iowa will be the 6th or 7th pick. We're not going higher even with a win against Nebraska and we won't go lower than 7th even with a loss to Nebraska and a win by any other team in the conference.

That means Insight or Gator (whichever picks 2nd), Texas Bowl or Dallas Football Classic.

Texas Bowl will be against a Big12 team. Dallas Football Classic will be against Conf USA or Big12 opponent.

Iowa will not be picked before Nebraska. Any bowl that in the past would never have had a chance at Nebraska will jump at the chance to get them.

Probably true. I think that puts Iowa into a fight with Ohio State for the 5-6 bowl spot. My guess would be either the Gator or back to the Insight for the Hawkeyes.

For the love of Pete. The Big Ten is going to get two BCS teams!

Which two smart guy?

MSU will be the rep from one division and will play the winner of PSU v Wisky next week. If MSU wins the championship game, the runner up will have 3 losses. Do you really think a 3 loss Big10 team that won't be ranked in the top 15 will get picked over a 1 loss or 2 loss team that is?

You're only saving grace may be from the little sisters to the west as they may have just single handedly cost the Ok State a BCS berth.

Which two smart guy?

MSU will be the rep from one division and will play the winner of PSU v Wisky next week. If MSU wins the championship game, the runner up will have 3 losses. Do you really think a 3 loss Big10 team that won't be ranked in the top 15 will get picked over a 1 loss or 2 loss team that is?

You're only saving grace may be from the little sisters to the west as they may have just single handedly cost the Ok State a BCS berth.

How about 10-2 Michigan? Michigan's fanbase almost assures the Wolverines a BCS bowl if they are eligible which they will be when they beat an average Ohio State team next week.

I would say that 10-3 Wisconsin, 10-3 Michigan State, or 10-2 Michigan would all be more attractive than any team the Big XII, ACC, or Big East put up for a potential at-large berth, unless OkSt beats OU.

Not the Rose Bowl
Not the Cap One Bowl
Not the Outback Bowl
Gator / Insight Bowl would be best case scenario but HIGHLY unlikely
Texas Bowl
Dallas Football Classic

Here is who is ahead of us right now:

MSU
Michigan
Nebraska
Penn State
Wisky

We are currently 1/2 game up on fOSU and they are losing so that would put us one full game ahead with one game remaining for each team. Both teams have tough games (Iowa @ Nebraska and fOSU @ Michigan). Both teams are likely to lose which would give the nod to Iowa but not guaranteed (see bowl selection process).

Big10 is getting one team to the BCS (Rose Bowl). That means that there are going to be at least 9 teams eligible for bowl bids with 10 if Purdue can win next week.

Iowa will be the 6th or 7th pick. We're not going higher even with a win against Nebraska and we won't go lower than 7th even with a loss to Nebraska and a win by any other team in the conference.

That means Insight or Gator (whichever picks 2nd), Texas Bowl or Dallas Football Classic.

Texas Bowl will be against a Big12 team. Dallas Football Classic will be against Conf USA or Big12 opponent.

The conference standings has nothing to do with who these bowls pick.

if Michigan beats osu they will go to a bcs bowl for sure and I think Iowa goes to the gator maybe even the outback if they can beat nebby and that's a big IF.

We need Ohio State to finish 6-6. A six win team can't jump a seven win team in the bowl selection. Ohio State will jump Iowa if they get to seven wins IMO.

A 10-2 Michigan team as to get in I think.

Pounding Nebraska 45-17 definately helped their cause.

Rose-Wisky
Fiesta-Michigan
Cap 1 - Michigan State
Outback - Nebraska/Iowa winner
Gator - Iowa or Penn State (PSU Win Today they are here unless scandal causes drop then Iowa even if they lose to Nebraska)
Insight - Penn State, Iowa or Ohio State (May not want Iowa 2 yrs in a row, therefore Penn St.)
Ticket City - Ohio State (with loss today and next week) NW?

Last edited:

Latest posts