Bowen Added to Iowa Staff

Love it. He was one of my favorites because he was a fellow tennis player. A guy that has made a living based on working harder than everybody else is always the kind of guy that you find a spot for.

*“I remember watching Ryan play in high school, and followed his career at Iowa and the NBA.* There isn’t a harder working basketball player that understands the game than Ryan Bowen."

Seriously Fran did not watch him play in high school.

I could be mistaken, but I could have sworn it was reported at Fran's hiring that he had tried recruiting both Bowen and Settles to ND.

I could be mistaken, but I could have sworn it was reported at Fran's hiring that he had tried recruiting both Bowen and Settles to ND.

Fran's a compulsive liar...he didn't even coach at Sienna...he was the janitor who answered the phone when Barta called...no one wanted to come clean on this...til CyWineGuy exposed the entire fraud...

*“I remember watching Ryan play in high school, and followed his career at Iowa and the NBA.* There isn’t a harder working basketball player that understands the game than Ryan Bowen."

This is the same guy that tried to claim that the Clown's had a better athletic department than Iowa based on the directors cup...LMAO, never mind we lead the all time series in football, mens b-ball, and wrestling...and it's not even close either. So much for your credibility CyWhineyguy.

I am from FM-Ryan was recruited out of high school by Iowa, Arizona, UNI, ISU, Northwestern, Nebraska and .......Notre Dame. If I recall his final three schools were Iowa, Arizona and UNI.

Caf recruited Settles for Notre Dame. It's not hard to see how he might have taken a look at Bowen too, they played high school ball just a few miles away from each other during the same time period.

If you're inferring that he's making up Tim Brewster-like (or should say Gene Chizik) exagerations and stories I'd back off on that. I think McCaffrey has established his credibility and integrity over the years from everything I've heard from his players and peers.

But, after checking your handle, the answer is self-evident.

Last edited:
Fran's a compulsive liar...he didn't even coach at Sienna...he was the janitor who answered the phone when Barta called...no one wanted to come clean on this...til CyWineGuy exposed the entire fraud...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xih5HyFOYg]YouTube - Friends - Chandler - "I knew it!"[/ame]

I'm sure he did just as he did Settles when he was recruiting him to ND.

You are wrong. McCaffery recruited Bowen for Notre Dame. As was true of Settles as well. During his time at ND covering Iowa high schools was his part of his recruiting area.

He recruited Jess Settles and Kenyon Murray - I'm sure he saw Ryan about the same time too.

Bowen played on the same AAU team as LaFrentz,right? I am sure that recruiters all over the midwest never watched that team play in the summers...rightttt.

Just another in a series of smart moves by Fran. Welcome back to the fold,Ryan!!
I like how this is shaping up....Iowa bb is back!

With all the video and studying they do in the NBA, having a 10 year NBA vet has to offer some real nice experience and offer new insights to the position. I would say its a terrific addition on that level alone, then add in the IOWA connections both from being a local kid and playing at IOWA, its like a double bonus. Is he allowed to coach the players too? Perhaps not on the floor as the asst coaches, but individually, in film study?

A real nice move by Fran!

What I want to know is how much of a salary hit is he taking? Even at the NBA minimum (if that is what he was getting) versus what he's getting now (sub $100K?). I don't know how he will be able to pay his bills.

What kind of limitations does this position have as far as recruiting? Any limitations in regards to coaching the current players??

What I want to know is how much of a salary hit is he taking? Even at the NBA minimum (if that is what he was getting) versus what he's getting now (sub $100K?). I don't know how he will be able to pay his bills.

Ryan strikes me as a smart,non-flamboyant type of Iowa guy who probably saved a lot of his NBA money over the years.
He had to make at least 10 million over the last 12 years...I suspect he has at least 4-5 million socked away. And how much do you need to live in IC anyway? Buy a reasonable house, and any smart family can live off of 75-100k...as long as they have that nest egg,plus a very lucrative NBA pension plan for the future.

Ryan Bowen made $8,895,707 for his ten seasons in the NBA. Also, the NBA's pension plan is $306.34 per month per season (assuming you play 3) so $3678.08 a year. I think it was just Ryan wanting to stay in the game and be a Hawkeye again. Fantastic move by FM!

Last edited:

Latest posts