Bounce back teams

May was a player at Pitt when Ferentz was a wet nosed coach/GA at Pitt, I believe.

That would explain a lot in regards to May's respect for Ferentz. I find it funny that many people including myself on this site and others that go on and on about how Ferentz doesn't have it anymore yet many people actually involved in college football from coaches, players and analysts who still believe in him and his coaching ability and style of play.

14 starters. I think we can pick a few of those who will likely lose their job come Aug 31.

In an ideal (as in "well-coached, play-to-win") world...Yes. In the KFz world...play the Senior over the more talented underclassman... every time. And perhaps...by November.. we'll give the younger, more athletic kid a few reps... after the season has already taken enough hits to knock us out of quality bowl contention.

After all...it's not about the Ws and Ls... it's about having the best team at the end of the year and putting guys in the NFL... right?

What coaches are publicly talked bad about by other coaches?

This isn't just pointed at you OoTH, but how come anytime anyone coach, player, analyst or announcer says anything about Ferentz, the first response is always "what do you expect them to say" or in your case your question at me above? Wasn't it BB who publicly called Urban Meyer and his SEC recruiting tactics? I know, it isn't the same thing. But how come you never believe anyone is ever sincere in their comments towards Ferentz?

This isn't just pointed at you OoTH, but how come anytime anyone coach, player, analyst or announcer says anything about Ferentz, the first response is always "what do you expect them to say" or in your case your question at me above? Wasn't it BB who publicly called Urban Meyer and his SEC recruiting tactics? I know, it isn't the same thing. But how come you never believe anyone is ever sincere in their comments towards Ferentz?

Well as I said kirk put kids in the NFL. He seems to run a clean program. He is awful on gameday.

YOu are not going to hear anyone say publicly....wow did you see that kirk punted from the 30? Could they be anyworse at clock management? I could go on and on but that doesnt matter. YOu know what I mean.

There is nothing to gain by saying anything publicly bad about another coach. What does kirk say after every game. So and so runs a great program you have to give them blah blah blah........

What are they going to say ummmmm no comment on Kirk?

So in this case May worked with Kirk....right?

Id be willing to bet that anyone Ive worked with in my life would say good things about me. I know I know most of you on here think I must be an awful person because I dont like kirk. However Ive never been fired, Im hard working and Im nice to people. I dont doubt that Kirk is all of these things.

Besides the fact this clip is not good for Kirk.....He said Iowa has too much talent not to do better. To me that means he thinks last year talent was not used properly. We know as Iowa fans that is true. If you think the talent was used last year then you are kidding yourself.

Last edited:
In an ideal (as in "well-coached, play-to-win") world...Yes. In the KFz world...play the Senior over the more talented underclassman... every time. And perhaps...by November.. we'll give the younger, more athletic kid a few reps... after the season has already taken enough hits to knock us out of quality bowl contention.

After all...it's not about the Ws and Ls... it's about having the best team at the end of the year and putting guys in the NFL... right?

Obviously you have some examples in mind that you would like to share.

Thx for taking my call. I'll hang up and listen.

KF is very respected in the coaching community. Thats not even debatable

Very true. They know the challenge that KF faces at Iowa.

They do not have to fake compliment KF...they could just not say anything.

Sure,May played for KF,who was a GA back at Pitt...over 35 years ago!
These analysts do not go out on a limb for guys they barely knew 35 years ago when their job is to be objective. May and Millen are not coaches,they are paid to critique these guys. They said yesterday that Mack Brown and his staff got a little lazy with their recruiting the last 3 years,and he needs to have a big year.....no sugar-coating it for Mack. I find it interesting that as much criticism as Greg Davis took for the 2010 season at Texas, when he was fired, Mack and Texas have sucked the last two seasons anyway.

I would love to hear a coach say kf is a heck of a game day coach. Don't think you will here that. Kf develops kids well for the pros. And well that is about it.

May debates against Lou enough said. May respects kf as does almost everybody, but well respected and a winning football coach are two different things. If kf hasn't lost it he wouldn't need to be on the bounce back list. I know people including myself are hoping for a turnaround, but just don't see how harder schedule, norm is gone, Davis is also out dated also. Other than blind faith how anyone could think this team will be a winning team is far more gone than Lou Holtz