Bounce back teams

In an ideal (as in "well-coached, play-to-win") world...Yes. In the KFz world...play the Senior over the more talented underclassman... every time. And perhaps...by November.. we'll give the younger, more athletic kid a few reps... after the season has already taken enough hits to knock us out of quality bowl contention.

After all...it's not about the Ws and Ls... it's about having the best team at the end of the year and putting guys in the NFL... right?

This....isn't correct, and hasn't been for some time.

Do you think Iowa had less talent than everyone they lost to? If so you are misinformed.

I don't know what I did to deserve the snarky comment from you, but I will answer anyway. No I do not think that Iowa had less talent than directional Michigan , Indiana or Purdue although late in the year Iowa's thin talent was even more so due to injuries. Does that make you feel better?

That said, the 2012 team was about as light on good players as I have seen in awhile. It was a team devoid of playmakers ( especially later in the year) size on both lines and depth.
Based on your comment I'm guessing you feel that last years team was talented?

May debates against Lou enough said. May respects kf as does almost everybody, but well respected and a winning football coach are two different things. If kf hasn't lost it he wouldn't need to be on the bounce back list. I know people including myself are hoping for a turnaround, but just don't see how harder schedule, norm is gone, Davis is also out dated also. Other than blind faith how anyone could think this team will be a winning team is far more gone than Lou Holtz
I think there's a lot of reasons for people to believe there will be a winning team next year. This team was close to winning several more games last year, and return a lot of the players (who were really young last year). Another year for the young players to hang with Doyle. Another year in the new offense, which will hopefully provide a stronger grasp of it. New and energized coordinators. If you haven't seen any of the interviews of sound bytes from the players/coaches, I suggest you look into it. These guys are all hungry, driven, working hard, and want to leave a better legacy than where its at right now.

If Mark May thought last years' Iowa team had talent. he is misinformed. It did not.

The games might of been ugly last year, but there was plenty of raw talent. Maybe you were too busy drinking to notice.

Thats right, Its not a secret ( except on message boards ) how tough it is to win at a program like Iowa and still have a high graduation rate with tough academics. If KF ever put out the word he wanted to leave. ADs & GMs would be all over him.
Very true. They know the challenge that KF faces at Iowa.

They do not have to fake compliment KF...they could just not say anything.

Sure,May played for KF,who was a GA back at Pitt...over 35 years ago!
These analysts do not go out on a limb for guys they barely knew 35 years ago when their job is to be objective. May and Millen are not coaches,they are paid to critique these guys. They said yesterday that Mack Brown and his staff got a little lazy with their recruiting the last 3 years,and he needs to have a big year.....no sugar-coating it for Mack. I find it interesting that as much criticism as Greg Davis took for the 2010 season at Texas, when he was fired, Mack and Texas have sucked the last two seasons anyway.

Thats right, Its not a secret ( except on message boards ) how tough it is to win at a program like Iowa and still have a high graduation rate with tough academics. If KF ever put out the word he wanted to leave. ADs & GMs would be all over him.

Wait, are you saying Iowa has tough academics?

changing the rules of the game?

Youre right I did change my wording. I want to know if there is a coach that comes out and said so and so is not a good coach?

I understand that there have been things said about recruiting or biels going for 2 or similar things.

However you dont see coaches saying that coach______ is really bad at___________. Have you ever seen a coach get beat by a team and then say their coach is really bad I dont know why we lost to him?

I don't know what I did to deserve the snarky comment from you, but I will answer anyway. No I do not think that Iowa had less talent than directional Michigan , Indiana or Purdue although late in the year Iowa's thin talent was even more so due to injuries. Does that make you feel better?

That said, the 2012 team was about as light on good players as I have seen in awhile. It was a team devoid of playmakers ( especially later in the year) size on both lines and depth.

I was just using your words. Also if you agree that Iowa had more talent than who they lost to then that is what May is saying. If Iowa had not lost to those three teams that you mentioned then Iowa would have went to a bowl and would not be a bounce back team.

Well as I said kirk put kids in the NFL. He seems to run a clean program. He is awful on gameday.

YOu are not going to hear anyone say publicly....wow did you see that kirk punted from the 30? Could they be anyworse at clock management? I could go on and on but that doesnt matter. YOu know what I mean.

Bingo.

Great developer of talent, runs a clean program, and he's a solid citizen. No doubt about it.

But the game-day coaching is bad at times, to the point of being embarrassing. (don't take my word for it, read what our Big Ten brethren and some of the gutsier announcers have to say).

What is talented to you? Do you know what talented to me? When you say people are misinformed if they think Iowa had talent last year what do you mean? That statement really means nothing if you dont compare it to something.

Talented compared to me and you? Yes
Talented compared to an NFL team? No
Talented compared to Central Michigan? Yes

More talented than 4 wins? Yes

While KF has been at Iowa he has had 6 seasons with 6-7 regular season wins. Iowa should have had that many wins last year.

More talented than their record? Yes
Most talented KF team? No

Bingo.

Great developer of talent, runs a clean program, and he's a solid citizen. No doubt about it.

But the game-day coaching is bad at times, to the point of being embarrassing. (don't take my word for it, read what our Big Ten brethren and some of the gutsier announcers have to say).

Pete Carroll was interviewed about his time at USC and a question was posed about difficult teams he played - he said that the Iowa team he played against in the Orange Bowl was the most difficult offense he's had to prepare for. It's all about being predictable and having tendencies but being multiple, that the offense is predicated on, and why it is complex. Not sure if his comments count, but there is one on the contrarian side of what you preach.

Pete Carroll was interviewed about his time at USC and a question was posed about difficult teams he played - he said that the Iowa team he played against in the Orange Bowl was the most difficult offense he's had to prepare for. It's all about being predictable and having tendencies but being multiple, that the offense is predicated on, and why it is complex. Not sure if his comments count, but there is one on the contrarian side of what you preach.

No doubt Brad Banks caused everyone problems. Add good wrs and oline and things get tough. That team could do almost anything they wanted. Its easy to be a good gameday coach when you have Brad Banks or Greene to handle things.

Seems as though most other Big Ten teams have gone to running QBs. You would think Iowa would follow since it has worked in the past and it continues to work against Iowas defense.

This is what you'd call "cherry picking". That 2002 team was far and away the best overall team KFz has had. The offensive line was dominant, we had a talented dual-threat QB, speed at WR and RB, All-American tight end, That team would be hard for anyone to prepare for...they were a powerhouse. The fact that you go back 10+ years for your example is telling.

On the contrary... looking back over the last 8 years and you hear just the opposite from opposing coaches and players. Iowa is not complicated or hard to prepare for...they just do what they do very well (when we were good...that is).

That having been said, that wasn't the point of my post anyway. Play-calling, situational decisions, clock management, knowing when to go for the kill instead of backing off and pizzing away your momentum, clock management, understanding how to use timeouts, Oh...did I fail to mention clock management?

GAME DAY coaching.

Last edited:
This is what you'd call "cherry picking". That 2002 team was far and away the best overall team KFz has had. The offensive line was dominant, we had a talented dual-threat QB, speed at WR and RB, All-American tight end, That team would be hard for anyone to prepare for...they were a powerhouse. The fact that you go back 10+ years for your example is telling.

On the contrary... looking back over the last 8 years and you hear just the opposite from opposing coaches and players. Iowa is not complicated or hard to prepare for...they just do what they do very well (when we were good...that is).

That having been said, that wasn't the point of my post anyway. Play-calling, situational decisions, clock management, knowing when to go for the kill instead of backing off and pizzing away your momentum, clock management, understanding how to use timeouts, Oh...did I fail to mention clock management?

GAME DAY coaching.

I wonder if you go back and ask South Carolina and GT what they think of the offense. The reality is you are only as good as your talent. Look at all those teams we just mentioned and I'll add a couple more years...2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009. When we have had experienced players up front on both side of the ball, we have won a hell of alot more than we have lost under Ferentz. I'm sick and tired of people thinking Iowa hasn't been complicated on offense, even without Brad Banks being mentioned. It shows me you don't know what you are talking about. Under O'Keefe, Iowa used a ton of formation changes and personnel groupings. They give the center and QB a ton of options at the line of scrimmage to not only get out of plays, but to change the line calls. I'd be willing bet their are 6-7 different line calls the center can make on his own depending on the way the DL and Linebackers are lined up, or the anticipate stunts they have been seeing. People see us run plays that look the same from a backfield action perspective and think it's the same old stuff. That's bullship.

Are you and OutToLunchHawk sleeping together or something? You guys are interchangeable at this juncture. Do you just hit copy and paste on the KF hate comments. Game day coaching / game day coaching...blah, blah, blah. We get it...clock management issues, timeouts...etc. He's not the only one making those decisions. O'Keefe was on the sidelines also...GD is responsible now too. They need to get better, I agree, but there is a hell of alot more to the process.

I wonder if you go back and ask South Carolina and GT what they think of the offense. The reality is you are only as good as your talent. Look at all those teams we just mentioned and I'll add a couple more years...2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009. When we have had experienced players up front on both side of the ball, we have won a hell of alot more than we have lost under Ferentz. I'm sick and tired of people thinking Iowa hasn't been complicated on offense, even without Brad Banks being mentioned. It shows me you don't know what you are talking about. Under O'Keefe, Iowa used a ton of formation changes and personnel groupings. They give the center and QB a ton of options at the line of scrimmage to not only get out of plays, but to change the line calls. I'd be willing bet their are 6-7 different line calls the center can make on his own depending on the way the DL and Linebackers are lined up, or the anticipate stunts they have been seeing. People see us run plays that look the same from a backfield action perspective and think it's the same old stuff. That's bullship.

Are you and OutToLunchHawk sleeping together or something? You guys are interchangeable at this juncture. Do you just hit copy and paste on the KF hate comments. Game day coaching / game day coaching...blah, blah, blah. We get it...clock management issues, timeouts...etc. He's not the only one making those decisions. O'Keefe was on the sidelines also...GD is responsible now too. They need to get better, I agree, but there is a hell of alot more to the process.

So now are people gay if they dont agree with you? Are all people that dont agree with you sleeping together?

Name calling and repeating yourself again. The only things that change about your arguments are the names you call me. Thats all you got.

Here you go again trying to start another argument that you will end up running away from.

So is Iowa only as good as their talent? Does Iowa only lose to teams with less talent?

So now are people gay if they dont agree with you? Are all people that dont agree with you sleeping together?

Name calling and repeating yourself again. The only things that change about your arguments are the names you call me. Thats all you got.

Here you go again trying to start another argument that you will end up running away from.

o is Iowa only as good as their talent? Does Iowa only lose to teams with less talent?

You are simply devoid of a sense of humor and take everything way too freaking serious. You know, I made a point about Iowa's offense and it's complexity...and you choose to debate whether I call you and your drummer boyfriend gay. It was a joke pal...get over yourself.

Now, you do argue like my wife though. Over and over on the same points, and you still bring stuff up from several years ago (or posts ago for this analogy). I'm pretty confident you are female. Now, there is nothing wrong with pretending to be male or openingly posting as a female. You are entitled to your opinions, misguided as they may be.

I don't think a team that starts 270lb guards (I think Blythe and Walsh were listed at that) is very talented. I don't think that a team completely devoid of offensive playmakers is talented. And I don't think that a team with the d line that Iowa fielded last year is talented.
They sucked last year.
And yes, given the weak schedule they had last year, they still should have managed six wins.
I do not understand your point comparing their talent to an Nfl team or me and you. It is enlightening to know that you are not good enough to make the FB team but I assume you aren't eligible anyway.

You are simply devoid of a sense of humor and take everything way too freaking serious. You know, I made a point about Iowa's offense and it's complexity...and you choose to debate whether I call you and your drummer boyfriend gay. It was a joke pal...get over yourself.

Now, you do argue like my wife though. Over and over on the same points, and you still bring stuff up from several years ago (or posts ago for this analogy). I'm pretty confident you are female. Now, there is nothing wrong with pretending to be male or openingly posting as a female. You are entitled to your opinions, misguided as they may be.

I'll be you're a joy over the breakfast table.

Latest posts